Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #10951
c-m
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Does anyone know if the outer silver clock bracket/plasticy bit from an 04 or later model fit the 01 clocks?

I prefer the look of the later ones as it's more angular.
c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #10952
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-m View Post
Does anyone know if the outer silver clock bracket/plasticy bit from an 04 or later model fit the 01 clocks?

I prefer the look of the later ones as it's more angular.
I'm no help in your question other than my 01 bracket cracked and fell off on some dirt road years ago. Got to a stopping point and noticed my guages looked different . Been like that for many years now. Less weight?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #10953
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
I had a more difficult time finding that bulb than I wished. Let me know where you found yours.

Any hints about a good LED replacement?
The 1157 bulbs? Wow, around here can get them pretty much everywhere. Hell last time I needed a new bulb I got it at Albertsons while I was getting groceries.

Thats the main reason I dont want to switch to LED, new bulbs are just too easy to find.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #10954
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Thought I'd share what I found about top case solutions for the '04 and older Dakars. OEM BMW Wunderlich has a plate to use with the Hepco-Becker cases Touratech has a plate for their Zega bags and looks like it could be adapted for Pelicans
Old 06-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #10955
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
I have the TT rack on my 01 with a Pelican 1520 mounted on it. Works good although the lock for the quick release gets a little sticky from dirt at times.

The only issue I have with mine is that it cracks, without pictures its hard to describe. The plate is only about 1/8" so it flexs a bit. TT said theyre aware of the problem but they dont intend on changing the design because its an older bike. They did however send me a new plate free of charge. Ive got plans of making a couple support bars here in the near future.

Ill try and remember to get a couple pics tomorrow to show where it cracks. All in all Im happy with it.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #10956
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Thats the main reason I dont want to switch to LED, new bulbs are just too easy to find.
My bike came with one of the Touratech LED inserts in the taillight when I bought it. It kept burning out the LED elements, and I ended up replacing about half of them with a soldering iron and a whole lot of swearing.

I took it out after a trip in the Pine Barrens in NJ when the bike was persistently blowing the taillight and brake light fuses. I discovered that the taillight fuse also runs the dashboard and turn signals, so whenever that fuse blew, no speedo, tach, dash lights, or blinkers. Pain in the friggin ass.

Replaced with a standard 1157 bulb, no issues since then. It's possible that the taillight wiring was shorting out, but I couldn't find a spot where that would happen when I checked things over. And it seems odd that it would short out _both_ circuits.

If there's a better option for an LED replacement, I'm all ears.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #10957
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 521
05+ top case

shameless plug on my part, I have an 05+ top case sitting in my garage (should fit the 09 and later G650gs as well), NO sentimental value PM me if interested.
Lupin 3rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #10958
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Wow, the touratech rack cracks, they know about it and don't care? They sel that thing for $240.

For that much I'd hope they would've redesigned it so it'll hold up. That bums me out as that was the one I was thinking of getting as I like the Zega boxes plus it looks like I could adapt a Pelican case to fit it pretty well.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #10959
hetman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I had the LED tail light from Motorrad Elektrik on mine and it seemed okay, but doesn't do any fancy flashing or anything.

http://www.motoelekt.com/lighting.htm

review on a 1200GS:
http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling...ght/index.html

Since the 1200GS uses the same tail light (I assume anyway, since the light I had works in both), there should be a lot of tail light choices.

Nowadays I'd probably just get Skene lights as an add-on.
hetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #10960
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,900
Bulb...

FWIW... Was just in the grocery store here and they had two #1157 bulbs on a card in the housewares rack for 99. It's the same two-filiment bulb that any car would use that shares a tail light and brake light circuit.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #10961
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
I'm no help in your question other than my 01 bracket cracked and fell off on some dirt road years ago. Got to a stopping point and noticed my guages looked different . Been like that for many years now. Less weight?
If I remember I'll bring mine to Hafjell in the fall and you can have it
What's look like ? (so I know what I'm looing for in the boxes of old parts)

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #10962
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
The 1157 bulbs? Wow, around here can get them pretty much everywhere. Hell last time I needed a new bulb I got it at Albertsons while I was getting groceries.

I buy that reason, but good quality LED's never break... so even less of a pain

Had mine on for 10 years now and never missed a beat. Very bright both tail and brake light. Bought it at Louis I believe and it looks like they still have them. Mine's very similar in appearance, but doesn't have licenseplate illumination. F.T.P

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !

Gravel Seeker screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 12:26 PM
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #10963
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
yea i like led brake lights too. i have a polisport under fender unit i got off ebay for about 20 bucks and its been super reliable.it only weighs a few ounces and has a light for the plate too.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #10964
aufevermike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Dakar stalls then tach redlines, computer blurp?

Has anyone had this happen? I was going about 65 and then out of nowhere the bike stalled but still continued to run. However, the tach red lined at 7500 but the engine was not going that fast. As I pull over to a complete stop the tach read 3300 but was just idling. With only 7500 miles on her I thought... WTF... So all I did was turn it off and hoped she would start again, especially with being in the mile of nowhere, Alaska. She started right up and never did it again since a 1400 mile ride.
What say you?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #10965
Renaissanceman
DON'T PANIC!

Oddometer: 181
First thing I'd check is the battery connections - a loose cable can cause crazy behavior like that.

What year/model bike? History?