Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #11011
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
What is the widest you'd go with stock forks and swingarm?

I had plans of lacing my new street set with Michelin Pilot Road III's, but then I found out they only come in 17"

So now I'm looking at Michelin Anakee III's instead. My options are

Front
100 90 - 19 M/C 57 H *
110 80 R 19 M/C 59 H
110 80 R 19 M/C 59 V ***
120 70 R 19 M/C 60 V ***

Rear
120 90 - 17 M/C 64 S
140 80 R 17 M/C 69 H **
150 70 R 17 M/C 69 V ***
170 60 R 17 M/C 72 V

* stock
** what I know will fit
*** what I'm considering

110 or 120 front ?
140 or 150 rear ?

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #11012
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
What is the widest you'd go with stock forks and swingarm?

Rear
120 90 - 17 M/C 64 S
140 80 R 17 M/C 69 H **
150 70 R 17 M/C 69 V ***
170 60 R 17 M/C 72 V
See if you can find a fitment guide that gives minimum rim width for each size. I'm willing to bet the stock rim is too narrow for a 150/70-17 tire. I'd probably just stick with a 140/80 and be done with it.

In motorcycle tires, wider isn't always better.

edit: I'm seeing a fitment in 130/80-17. Even safer choice.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #11013
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,328
The 140 rears I have had have felt better than 130 but I would not go larger, the stock rim width is too small for 150
Old 07-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #11014
Seventh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Morning!

Just thought I'd check in - I'm the guy a couple of hundred pages back with the 650GS that wouldn't run. Did the fuel system bit and the electricals; even found a burned-out diode, but the bike still dies at around 2kRPM. It cost me a bit of $$$, and (worse) a whole riding season.

Turns out, the bike is a mash-up, built from the then-working parts of a fleet of 650s used by the local highway patrol to... patrol the highway. It was decided, sometime during the life of the fleet, that BMW maintenance was just too expensive, so they, in their infinite wisdom, stopped maintaining the bikes.

When the fleet stopped running and was left to corrosion, an enterprising soul bought the collection for a song, and created monsters by stitching parts of dead bikes together.

Fast forward several owners later, and viola, Seventh snaps up a deal too good to be true.

The owners of the other frankenbikes seem to be likewise as unhappy. These GSs are sold frequently, and folks on the local forum tend to avoid 2004 models being sold cheap.

I'll probably be parting this one out, so that no one else has to have the headache of keeping it running. In any case, just wanted anyone who came across the videos and the helpful advice of the folks on the thread that it's the particular bike I bought, that sucked. A properly maintained GS would have to be maliciously neglected to get to the same state.

"Karma" in the 2nd-hand market is spelled Caveat Emptor.

On the other hand, community is spelled ADV. Thanks to everyone who helped out! Again, really appreciate it, and safe travels :)
Seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #11015
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
Morning!

Just thought I'd check in - I'm the guy a couple of hundred pages back with the 650GS that wouldn't run. Did the fuel system bit and the electricals; even found a burned-out diode, but the bike still dies at around 2kRPM. It cost me a bit of $$$, and (worse) a whole riding season.

Turns out, the bike is a mash-up, built from the then-working parts of a fleet of 650s used by the local highway patrol to... patrol the highway. It was decided, sometime during the life of the fleet, that BMW maintenance was just too expensive, so they, in their infinite wisdom, stopped maintaining the bikes.

When the fleet stopped running and was left to corrosion, an enterprising soul bought the collection for a song, and created monsters by stitching parts of dead bikes together.

Fast forward several owners later, and viola, Seventh snaps up a deal too good to be true.

The owners of the other frankenbikes seem to be likewise as unhappy. These GSs are sold frequently, and folks on the local forum tend to avoid 2004 models being sold cheap.

I'll probably be parting this one out, so that no one else has to have the headache of keeping it running. In any case, just wanted anyone who came across the videos and the helpful advice of the folks on the thread that it's the particular bike I bought, that sucked. A properly maintained GS would have to be maliciously neglected to get to the same state.

"Karma" in the 2nd-hand market is spelled Caveat Emptor.

On the other hand, community is spelled ADV. Thanks to everyone who helped out! Again, really appreciate it, and safe travels :)
man that sucks, sorry it ended this way for you and your ride

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 07-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #11016
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
The 140 rears I have had have felt better than 130 but I would not go larger, the stock rim width is too small for 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
See if you can find a fitment guide that gives minimum rim width for each size. I'm willing to bet the stock rim is too narrow for a 150/70-17 tire. I'd probably just stick with a 140/80 and be done with it.

In motorcycle tires, wider isn't always better.

edit: I'm seeing a fitment in 130/80-17. Even safer choice.
Not sure you read the table correctly.... or maybe I'm not...http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/ti...anakee-iii#dim

This is for the F650GS Dakar (for me only applicable for the rear)

For your motorcycle BMW F 650 GS Dakar
90/90 - 21 M/C 54H F TL/TT
90/90 - 21 M/C 54T F TT
130/80 - 17 M/C 65T R TT
130/80 R 17 M/C 65H R TL/TT

Then for the Aprilia Pegaso 650 (my new front)
The Pegaso 19"rim is alot wider at 2,15x19 than the Dakar rim is at 1,65x21 or 1,80x21 (not sure which it is and I couldn't find it with google)

For your motorcycle APRILIA Pegaso 650

100/90 - 19 M/C 57H F TL/TT
130/80 R 17 M/C 65H R TL/TT

Then it goes on to list the available sizes for the Anakee III:

Front
Width Height Type Diameter M/C (Load / Speed Index) Inner Tube Letter
100 90 - 19 M/C 57 H TL/TT ****Aprilia
110 80 R 19 M/C 59 V TL/TT
110 80 R 19 M/C 59 H TL/TT
120 70 R 19 M/C 60 V TL/TT
90 90 - 21 M/C 54 S TL/TT
90 90 - 21 M/C 54 V TL/TT
90 90 - 21 M/C 54 H TL/TT ****BMW

Rear
Width Height Type Diameter M/C (Load / Speed Index) Inner Tube Letter
120 90 - 17 M/C 64 S TL/TT
140 80 R 17 M/C 69 H TL/TT
150 70 R 17 M/C 69 V TL/TT
170 60 R 17 M/C 72 V TL/TT

**** there's a little bike next to this option to indicate it's a fit to the bike model chosen. So the Anakee III doesn't "fit" neither the Dakar nor the Pegaso rear, but I've run 140 Metzler Sahara without any issues, so I'm going to go for 140.
But what about the front ? I'm pretty sure a 110 will fit between the fork legs, but will a 120 ? And will a 120 fit the 2,15 rim of the Pegaso?

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 07-05-2013, 05:59 AM   #11017
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
Cockpit...

I've finally got the cockpit/controls for my 2003 Dakar like I want them with the addition of an older BMW Navigator II GPS unit. For years I've been using the 2610 series GPSs, picking up used ones at attractive pricing when they pop up on the flea market. This one has the added advantage of being able to zoom in or out with buttons instead of going into the touch screen mode.

Other controls mods include ProTaper bars, ProTaper grips, Moose 2" risers, Cycra hand guards, mini, stick-on, convex mirrors. After being rear-ended a few years ago by an SUV, I'm all about any safety upgrades when it comes to seeing behind me or helping drivers behind me to see me.

With this setup I can see the GPS info, plus all the info from the instrument panel at a glance with nothing obstructing my view.

GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #11018
Notnewchevy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Man that looks great and its so clean. With the high bars and risers did you have any wire or cable issues. Sure looks like a fun trail your on.Lets ride
Notnewchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #11019
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I've finally got the cockpit/controls for my 2003 Dakar like I want them with the addition of an older BMW Navigator II GPS unit. For years I've been using the 2610 series GPSs, picking up used ones at attractive pricing when they pop up on the flea market. This one has the added advantage of being able to zoom in or out with buttons instead of going into the touch screen mode.

Other controls mods include ProTaper bars, ProTaper grips, Moose 2" risers, Cycra hand guards, mini, stick-on, convex mirrors. After being rear-ended a few years ago by an SUV, I'm all about any safety upgrades when it comes to seeing behind me or helping drivers behind me to see me.

With this setup I can see the GPS info, plus all the info from the instrument panel at a glance with nothing obstructing my view.

Super nice setup!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #11020
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notnewchevy View Post
Man that looks great and its so clean. With the high bars and risers did you have any wire or cable issues. Sure looks like a fun trail your on.Lets ride
No issues with the 2" of rise on the bars, but with any higher bars the throttle cable might be too short. Clutch cable and front brake line are fine.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #11021
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
This is sort of a generic question, but i don't know the correct terms to do a search with. Also, I've heard people mention that the Dakar rims are a bit unique since they grab the tire pretty well without rimlocks, and that could have something to do with what i think is my problem.

When i mounted my front Distenzia last year the wheel had a noticible hop around 30 to 45 MPH. It cupped not too long after and i eventually took it to a shop for other work and had them remount and balance it. It still hopped and when i took it back they said it was already junk and they couldn't make it run well (would have been nice to tell me before taking my money for the remount).

I just mounted my new Anakee III and destroyed the tube, so ended up taking it to a (different) shop. After getting the wheel back and remounting it, i again noticed a distinct hop at first. It seemed to smooth out with more riding, but yesterday i did a few hundred miles on the highway and noticed a more moderate vibration in the forks that made my hands and arms uncomfortable, as well as the mirrors blurry where they had been clear even with the scalloped distenzia.

I looked at the mould ring around the tire and it varies significantly in distance from the rim as it goes around. The first shop told me this was evidence i hadn't mounted it right. The second shop said the ring isn't meant to be symetrical like that and all that matters is that it was balanced, although they offered to remount and balance it if i brought it in. (The Kenda on the rear looks perfectly symetrical all the way around the rim.)

Is the moulding ring on the tire supposed to be equadistant all the way around the tire for every brand (or Michelins), and match up with the rim? If not, could that cause the tire to be out of round with the axle and lead to vibration/hopping, even though the weight of the wheel may be balanced when spun off the ground?

(BTW, on yesterday's trip i did deflate the tire pretty low and then pump it up around 50, with no change in how the bead looked to be sitting.)
Old 07-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #11022
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Far as I know yes that ring is supposed to give you an idea whether its seated all the way or not.

One thing I do when I get a tire that doesnt want to seat is to make sure its lubed real good, leave the valve stem out and pump it WAY up. 80 or 90 lbs. With the valve stem out you just pull the inflator off and the air purges. Then air up like normal.

Not always necessary but sometimes can help with a problem tire.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #11023
Nesbocaj
Politicians suck

Oddometer: 895
Riding home from work today on the Dakar in 90+ heat, man I like this bike, plenty of air, smooth at speed, and comfortable too.

(My other ride is a RT, it flows no air even with a 20" windscreen )

Nesbocaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:17 AM   #11024
ferals5
f5eral

Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Far as I know yes that ring is supposed to give you an idea whether its seated all the way or not.

One thing I do when I get a tire that doesnt want to seat is to make sure its lubed real good, leave the valve stem out and pump it WAY up. 80 or 90 lbs. With the valve stem out you just pull the inflator off and the air purges. Then air up like normal.

Not always necessary but sometimes can help with a problem tire.
this...but you should not exceed 40psi

if a bead is incorrectly seated and lets go (seats) at 90psi you may never change another one

if it does not seat at 40psi let it down break bead/ relube and try again.
ferals5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #11025
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
What i've read in the semi-official threads is to go up around 80-90 PSI but to do it slowly with a hand or foot pump, not a compressor.

When i tried it at the gas station i didn't remove the core, but even at 15psi or whatever i got it down to, the bead was sliding around on the rim where where i poked it with my fingers. If it were seated there's no way i could do that, right?

Isn't there something special about the Dakar rims that people can ride them pretty low without a rimlock? Ridges where the bead seats or something?