Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #11056
Wisconsinkris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Do you notice much bounce with the lights and bumps in the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
The light bar is homemade, using some aluminum stock, a hammer and a vice. Pretty easy to replicate looking at this pic.

I made my own because my Touratech fork guards would interfere with but that is a pretty good option as well if you don't have the TT fork guards. http://www.ezymount.com/kits/ezymount_f650gs.htm
Wisconsinkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #11057
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarGuy View Post
I'm thinking of adding a set of Denali DM1 LED lights from Twisted Throttle to my Dakar.
I know very little about electrical systems, So was hoping for some advice. I searched for some basic guide on motorcycle electrical systems but never found much. If someone has a good link, that would be much appreciated.
I'll try to answer a few of these questions but I too am not a genius with electricity.

Quote:
I have a Yuasa YT12CL 12v AGM Maintenance Free battery. IIRC this is a 12 amp/hr battery. My research tells me 12v at 12AH = 144 watt hours. The Denali lights draw 5 watts per lamp for a 10 watt total. So without any charge, I could run the LED lights for 14.4 hrs, all things being equal. Is that right?
My first question then is; How many watts can I run concurrently on the battery before something starts to give? How do I work that out?
Say I want to run my OEM headlight, plus my heated hand grips, plus the Denali LEDs, plus heated clothing, plus a cell phone on charge, plus a Garmin Montana GPS, etc. How do I know what is safe? I don't want to damage the battery.
Not sure but I can tell you that running that list of items together would tax any motorcycle. Especially the heated gear. Someone else will need to weigh in on that capabilities of the Dakar's charging system.

Quote:
The instructions say to use the posi-tap connector to connect to a switched 12v power source. Second question; How do I identify a switched 12v power source?
The two easiest wires to find would be in the running light (tail) or the headlight low beam. The low beam only works on bikes that the low stays on when you flip on the high beams. There are a few bikes out there that do shut off but I am uncertain about the Dakar. If you run to Harbor Freight and buy a multimeter you can locate a 12v wire definitively.

How to locate a 12v switched power source:
  1. Locate a wire you think might have 12v of continuous energy.
  2. Hold the red lead from the meter on the wire where you can access the metal core. I mostly use the pin connector on that wire.
  3. Then with the black lead of the meter ground it to the frame of the bike or the negative terminal of the battery.
  4. If you read 12v when the ignition is on then you should be good.
  5. With the meter still engaged turn off the bike. If the wire goes dead then you have a switched 12v wire that you can use.

Quote:
Third question; what should I be careful about when fitting these LEDs? It looks pretty straight forward, but the electrical part concerns me because of my limited knowledge.
The steps listed above are the most difficult part of the install. You will find this to be true with many of the lights available on th emarket. What we have done with Deanli lighting is take the time to make it as complete and easy to install. Everything you need to install the Deali DM "Micro" is in the box except a mount. If we ever figure out a way to make one mount fit every bike out there we will include that in the box as well. One solution that could work on the Dakar is this:

The mount is simple and inexpensive. As of July 8, 2013 it is only $15: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denal...unt-kit-for-dm

I hope this helps a little.

Kevin
Old 07-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #11058
DakarGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
The light bar is homemade, using some aluminum stock, a hammer and a vice. Pretty easy to replicate looking at this pic.

I made my own because my Touratech fork guards would interfere with but that is a pretty good option as well if you don't have the TT fork guards. http://www.ezymount.com/kits/ezymount_f650gs.htm
Very neat. Thanks for the pic and the link.
DakarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #11059
DakarGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
I'll try to answer a few of these questions but I too am not a genius with electricity.

Not sure but I can tell you that running that list of items together would tax any motorcycle. Especially the heated gear. Someone else will need to weigh in on that capabilities of the Dakar's charging system.

The two easiest wires to find would be in the running light (tail) or the headlight low beam. The low beam only works on bikes that the low stays on when you flip on the high beams. There are a few bikes out there that do shut off but I am uncertain about the Dakar. If you run to Harbor Freight and buy a multimeter you can locate a 12v wire definitively.

How to locate a 12v switched power source:
  1. Locate a wire you think might have 12v of continuous energy.
  2. Hold the red lead from the meter on the wire where you can access the metal core. I mostly use the pin connector on that wire.
  3. Then with the black lead of the meter ground it to the frame of the bike or the negative terminal of the battery.
  4. If you read 12v when the ignition is on then you should be good.
  5. With the meter still engaged turn off the bike. If the wire goes dead then you have a switched 12v wire that you can use.

The steps listed above are the most difficult part of the install. You will find this to be true with many of the lights available on th emarket. What we have done with Deanli lighting is take the time to make it as complete and easy to install. Everything you need to install the Deali DM "Micro" is in the box except a mount. If we ever figure out a way to make one mount fit every bike out there we will include that in the box as well. One solution that could work on the Dakar is this:

The mount is simple and inexpensive. As of July 8, 2013 it is only $15: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denal...unt-kit-for-dm

I hope this helps a little.

Kevin
It certainly does Kevin. Thank you so much.

This is why I go to TT first when I'm looking for gear. You guys go out of your way to answer queries.
Your customer service experience is second to none. It's very refreshing indeed.
DakarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #11060
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
One solution that could work on the Dakar is this:

Kevin
I've thought of doing this with fog lamps on a bike but was worried about them breaking down from the jarring of bieng connected to the lowers. It's interesting to see an actual product made for it. Are LEDs durable enough it's not an issue?
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #11061
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
It certainly does Kevin. Thank you so much.

This is why I go to TT first when I'm looking for gear. You guys go out of your way to answer queries.
Your customer service experience is second to none. It's very refreshing indeed.
Thanks! We all ride over here and I think that makes all of the difference. We use the stuff and are rabid about it being good, quality gear. Since this is what we demand it's easy to be enthusiastic.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to answer all of your questions. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

Kevin
Old 07-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #11062
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
I've thought of doing this with fog lamps on a bike but was worried about them breaking down from the jarring of bieng connected to the lowers. It's interesting to see an actual product made for it. Are LEDs durable enough it's not an issue?
We have been selling mounts for this location for a long time. There are no failures I am aware of from abuse in this location. The Denali LED lights are super durable and guaranteed for five years anyways.

Kev
Old 07-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #11063
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 676
lights and fuzeblock wiring

Quote:
I'm thinking of adding a set of Denali DM1 LED lights from Twisted Throttle to my Dakar.
I know very little about electrical systems, So was hoping for some advice. I searched for some basic guide on motorcycle electrical systems but never found much. If someone has a good link, that would be much appreciated.
I recently did an LED light install using the PIAA Dakar fender mounts and they worked perfect since they are made for the bike. I used Vision X Optimus spots but the Denalis or PIAA lights are all great, just depends on what you want and budget. I used a Skene IQ-170 controller that lets you preset the low beam wattage and then is full blast when you use your high beam switch. The same thing can be accomplished with a dimmer pot but this is a very clean way to go and isn't much more expensive.

At the same time I added a Fuzeblock and recommend this as well. Once you get past a few extras, it's better to have fuses for each component and keeps your battery from being a rat's nest. I use the bike's stock mini cig plug for my heated jacket so that's not on the fuzeblock and has it's own fuse stock.

I took the high beam tap directly off the plug for the headlight bulb, by soldering the new wire into the plug itself. I soldered all connectors and used shrink wrap and only used one posi lock under the seat for the fuze block's relay. This is the rear tail light wire I tapped into. You can also use the small bulb under the headlamp since this is useless for any real light.

I ended up having to build my own harness but it isn't hard, just takes some time. I'm really happy with the whole setup now.

Pics are here:
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjFCntfh
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #11064
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
The two easiest wires to find would be in the running light (tail) or the headlight low beam. The low beam only works on bikes that the low stays on when you flip on the high beams. There are a few bikes out there that do shut off but I am uncertain about the Dakar.
The high beam switch cuts power to the low beams. The 'flasher' lever turns both on at once.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #11065
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
The high beam switch cuts power to the low beams. The 'flasher' lever turns both on at once.
Good info Don Coyote. I guess that means the next easiest wire to target is the running light (tail).

Kev
Old 07-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #11066
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Or, as guavadude mentions, the little 5w light under the headlight.

Not sure what this bulb is designed for- an emergency backup riding light if the headlight is out? At least it worked that way when my high beam switch was burnt out, but kept me from noting the problem until it became dark out...
Old 07-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #11067
Nesbocaj
Politicians suck

Oddometer: 843
What I have done:

Buy some cheap LEDs off of EBAY, think of them as disposable. If you ride trails they will be disposed of
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-10W-Cree-L...56a3f6&vxp=mtr

Wire a small fuse panel off of the power points under the seat and any wire that gives power under the seat only when the key is on to trip a relay, wire the lights and other things you will eventually add to this panel. There are quite a few fuse panels out there, simpler the better (ie less to break)

That homemade light bar is v-nice!

Eastern Beaver has v-nice kit: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wi...3_circuit.html

Nesbocaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #11068
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsinkris View Post
Do you notice much bounce with the lights and bumps in the road?
Don't notice any.

Forgot to mention that the advantage to the Piaa 530LPs is that the leds are aimed backward toward the multireflector lens, which then projects a focused beam that keeps the light where you want it, on the road instead of casting it everywhere like most leds. This allows you to run them without a dimmer if you aim them to work with your low beams. I run them all the time as they make the bike standout in daytime traffic as well.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #11069
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 498
Parking light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
Or, as guavadude mentions, the little 5w light under the headlight.
I use this one (I call it the parking light) to switch the relay for my GPS & heated gear: works like a charm.

One benefit of using the parking light is that it can be turned on separately from the rest of the power, so with the bike/ignition off, if I switch on the parking light I could charge the battery on my helmet cam/cell phone if needed.

Ignition on

Ignition off

Don't have a pic with the parking light on but it works, trust me!
Lupin 3rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #11070
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,129
Yes the parking lamp wire is good for powering devices which may also be needed when parked and engine is not required, emergencies etc

It is still advisable to use a relay as you dont want all the power running through the ignition switch.

A really neat trick is to use either electronics or two relays as per the 4 way flashers to power up a device then be able to turn off the ignition