Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #11101
Killswitch924
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Thanks for all the responses! Will be ordering a braided line shortly.

I did think about cutting it and doing that short length of soft line but it just (and this is strictly my opinion here) wasn't a clean fix. I'm all about using Macgyver methods but that just looked like a failure point to me.

Either way, thanks for all the links to guys that are making these things and selling them etc! Much appreciated.
Killswitch924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #11102
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch924 View Post
I did think about cutting it and doing that short length of soft line but it just (and this is strictly my opinion here) wasn't a clean fix. I'm all about using Macgyver methods but that just looked like a failure point to me.
Before you spend the big bucks on a pretty oil return line, myself and many, many others have used the $2.00 splice kit (home made) and I don't know anybody that's had a failure. Sure makes it easier to replace the water pump kit or do a clutch basket change out in the future.
2014 Ride Report: Ring of Ireland in 30 days
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #11103
Renaissanceman
DON'T PANIC!

Oddometer: 177
Yup, the oil return is low pressure - no danger of any failure.

Bling away!
Old 07-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #11104
Killswitch924
Adventurer

Ok cool deal. I just refilled it with oil lastnight after the seal replacement so I'll do a little research and decide what I want to do and then replace it at the next oil change. Thanks for all the input!
Old 07-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #11105
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 513
Waiwaitwait....
but if you just cut the line and replace a small part of it with some rubber line, don't you still have to drain the oil if you have to remove the clutch basket?
Or can you like "bend it out of the way" far enough without draining?
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #11106
Killswitch924
Adventurer

I have no idea. I looked through that whole PDF that Wayne set up (hugely helpful btw, thanks) and a bunch of stuff on f650.com and decided to make my own steel braided line. I just like that its done, you route it out of the way and don't have to bother with it again.
I was able to find everything on summitracing.com except the banjo adapter/fitting which I was able to find from an American website that was selling the same fittings as UK. Pretty sure it's an Earl's fitting still, looks the same, just couldn't order the Earls one to the US.
Thanks again
Old 07-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #11107
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,179
I would add your oil line build into the pdf if you post up the info, remember pictures tell a 1000 stories
Old 07-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #11108
Killswitch924
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
I would add your oil line build into the pdf if you post up the info, remember pictures tell a 1000 stories
Alright, I'll keep all the info on where I got everything as well. I'm on my phone now but I can give you links to all the parts when I get to a computer.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #11109
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
What sizes did you go with ? And how do they ride ?
I took the wheel back to the shop. It took them a bit longer than i would have expected and this time when the gave it back there was visible lube all over the sidewalls. The guy said they had to wrestle with it and "pump it way up to 45 PSI", but it finally seated better. Although the ring still isn't perfectly symetrical around the rim it is much closer. He thought i might have been shipped a bad one, but now it feels buttery smooth. I've only been riding around the city so far.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #11110
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,951
Can't wait for the new wheel to arrive so I can order tires.... gonna swap the T63's on the extra wheel set at the same time....the set I'm running has now gone almost 10.000km and it's cracking all around the knobs and the front is badly stepped now. Been running 99,% asfalt with high pressure, so no wonder they've starting to go.... 'll make a huge dent in the wallet, but should even out with better grip, smoother ride and even better milage with daily commuting and use the knobs for when they are needed...on the weekends off the highway

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #11111
Killswitch924
Adventurer

Flexible Oil Line Replacement

Parts showed up in the mail today. Without taking them out and checking everything in the bike, initial inspection would indicate that they will all work just fine.
When it comes time to change the oil again I'll have more info as I'll actually install it at that point.

Here are the parts and links to where I got them:
(The hardest part to find is the banjo fitting, I paid an arm and a leg for it, if you can find it cheaper definitely share that info, other than that, everything can come from www.summitracing.com )

Steel braided oil line (3ft - will need to cut to length once I have measured and decided where to route it):
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-230803/overview/

Fragola Hose end - Straight (If you like colorful things, just use the same part number without the "BL":
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fra-220108-bl

Fragola Hose end - 90 degree (same thing on the colorful thingys):
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fra-229008-bl

Summit Racing -8 Barb to -8 Adapter:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220757

And finally, the elusive banjo fitting - 8AN to 16mm Single Banjo adapter:
I found mine at www.pegasusautoracing.com
PART #: 3265-50
This link may take you directly to it if it works:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=6735

I don't believe I saved any money over just buying it from anyone of the other guys that are making them, this was just the quicker way for me to get everything and it allows me to customize the routing as I choose. Hope that helps someone out. I'll put some pictures up as soon as it is assembled fully.
Here are all the parts though:

Chris

Killswitch924 screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 03:27 PM
Old 07-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #11112
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,085
Will Sertao Vario cases fit the Dakar?

Has anyone tried to fit the new Vario cases from the Sertao onto an earlier F650GS/D? They are listed as being only for the 11s on, but I can't see much difference with the back end design of the earlier bikes or mounts.

twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #11113
tug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Same Dakar different feel

Ok so I have a 2003 Dakar. So far the mods have been modest.
  • 15 T front sprocket
  • Progressive front spring and emulators
  • Sasquatch rear shock rebuild (needs replaced)
  • Pivot pegs (love them)
  • Seat concept seat (nice)
  • Touratech License tail brace (Just installed well worth it)
Anyway I took my first big trip on it last September. On the last leg of the trip I experiance my first disappointment of the bike. I had to go from LA to Los Cruses, NM on I 10(815 miles) in one day. My mileage dropped way down. I was only getting 180 -190 miles per tank. In my Houston test I was getting 230 before running dry. The bike had to be ran at wide open throttle to to try to keep 70 MPH. It made it but I was disappointed with the performance. Since then I have been searching threads for performance upgrades and contemplating replaceing it with a 800GS or Xc.

Well two days ago I ran across a thread that recommend removing the metal sleeve on the spark plug boot. So I went out to my garage and there it was. So I pulled the plug wire off the plug and took the sleeve of the wire. The only problem I had was part of the sparkplug boot stayed with the metal sleeve. Once I realised the piece was in it I simply removed from the metal sleeve and replaced on the boot.

Today was the first time I had a chance to ride it. WOW what a difference! No lugging off the line and it ran up to 80 MPH no problem.

This mod is probably metioned somewhere in this tread but I haven't seen it.

It's a differnent bike. Hopefully this will help others.

Tug
tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #11114
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,179
Yes, removed the shroud very early due problems and since then have changed the ignition circuit completely

It sounds like you were losing most of the spark to earth, in my case it showed up with hesitation on acceleration in wet weather
Old 07-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #11115
brown84
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Givi top and sidecase racks, install which one first?

03 Dakar. I tried searching but could not find specifics. I ordered Givi top case and sidecase racks. Is there a recommended installation for which one to install first? I actually installed the top case first since I received it first.

After seeing that the rear mounts screw into the same holes for the sidecase racks, I'm wondering if I should have installed the sidecase racks first. Seems like a tight fit. Ran out of daylight and dont have a garage. Does anyone have any experience which rack to install first? I hope to get this done tomorrow during the day. Thanks!