User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Scott Davis OP
Which way did they go?

Oddometer: 665
R100GS Question

I am a new Airhead 92 R100GS owner and have one question. What's with the side stand? It's spring loaded to come up and I almost dropped the dang bike trying to push it out and rest the bike on it. Is this normal and if so, what's the trick to keep from dropping the bike while holding out the side stand?

I never thought I would be asking a question like this... :)

Scott
Scott Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
chiefrider
Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer: 2,259
Sadly,

...the guy in Montana that sold the kit to fix these sidestands is out of business. I bought one of these sidestands, and now it doesn't go up automatically. Some safety thing out of Europe, I guess--some Ducatis had the same feature.

I understand some fuckwad bought a stand fixer, rode off without putting his stand up, and sued the company.

Tom in Salem
Old 03-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Davis
I am a new Airhead 92 R100GS owner and have one question. What's with the side stand? It's spring loaded to come up and I almost dropped the dang bike trying to push it out and rest the bike on it. Is this normal and if so, what's the trick to keep from dropping the bike while holding out the side stand?

I never thought I would be asking a question like this... :)

Scott
Also know as Hitler's revenge. Trust the kickstand but it always made me nervous especially when loaded. I have the kit on mine now but it took some getting used to when I would ride off with it down

I really don't know how short legged people do it. I remember once when I was selling a GS the guy that came to look at it was a small guy, he rode off and when he came back he asked me to put the stand down for him while he was on the bike, it embarassed him to death. He didn't buy the bike

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
Scott Davis OP
Which way did they go?

Well Great! At least I don't feel like a dang fool for asking. :) I think I could move the top pivit point for the spring forward a bit to make it more netural. It is kinda cool when it just pops up on it's own.

So the answer is to just push it out there and trust that it will catch and hold the bike up?

Thanks for the info.

Scott
Old 03-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,936
You can always get off, THEN deploy the side stand. But that's not so easy loaded. As has been mentioned already, the spring loaded stand was a safety feature. Guys have totalled their bikes and gotten seriously injured riding off with the stand down, so modify at your own risk. I've got a few bikes with stands that stay down but haven't gotten into any real serious trouble yet, though it always is a wake up call!
Old 03-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
WooPig
Oh Glory!

Oddometer: 545
I'm not sure if the fixer on mine is homemade or what, but there's not much to it. A little aluminum extension to the springs. I could post a pic if it would help.
Yeah, I've left it down a couple of times but the terror it generates between the moment I hear it drag and when I figure out what it is has been enough to train me pretty well.

WooPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
chiefrider
Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer: 2,259
Loaded?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes
You can always get off, THEN deploy the side stand. But that's not so easy loaded.
You shouldn't even be riding while loaded--sober up first!

Tom in Salem
Old 03-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
ChuckUFarley
Scr00ge

Oddometer: 53
Pissed

Tell me about it- I'm a short-legged guy (but it sure is wide...) and I have a hell of a time. I figured out that when deploying, to start with my foot on the end to get things going, then to finish off by moving my foot up nearer to the pivot to get it fully extended, then move the bike back a bit while leaning over, putting the weight of the bike on the stand 'over center'. I can't put the sidestand down while the front of the bike is pointing down even a slight slope- it has to be up-slope. Otherwise I have to get off the bike. I've been trying to find a good place to put a little 'helper' to push against while still on the bike, but nothing presents itself so far.

Chuck.
ChuckUFarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
Scott Davis OP
Which way did they go?

Woopig,
Please post that picture. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
jbeem
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
I have one of the side stand fixer kits laying around somewhere. I took it off and went back original. After 15 years with no problems, I forgot one time this past spring which resulted in a broken hand and torn ACL. The older Jap bikes would kick up. The GS with the kit won't kick up, it'll put you down, and quick.
03 KLX 400
08 Versys
jbeem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
Scott Davis OP
Which way did they go?

Ok, thanks guys! I will just learn to deal with it the way it is.

Scott
Old 03-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #12
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,396
My 1989R100GS has it too and once you get used to it youll like it, a bit strang at first.
I work for a Europen company and i have come to accept that they think in diffrent terms than we do, i am sure they thought this would eliminate any safety issues with the side stand, we think in diffrent terms, we would have it made to be user friendly and convenient.

My son lived in Germany for a while and said he was told that if you are a engineer and design something then you are held accountable for anything that goes wrong, i dont know if thats true or just hear say.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #13
Martian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Scott, I ride a '93 GSPD and have a 30" inseam. I put the toe of my boot on the end of the stand, extend it, and hope like hell it catches the bike 'cause we are going over if it doesn't. It helps if you park uphill or or at least level and turn loose of the front brake so the bike can roll back a bit as the stand extends. As long as your foot doesn't come off the end of the stand, the bike should stay up, but there are times that I wonder if it is like when the ground slopes away slightly. It'll pucker your ass right up.

When somebody asked me about the stand coming up by itself, I told 'em it was because the bike was designed for riding in the boonies and that way I could keep both feet on the ground when it was slippery and still get the stand up. They thought that was cool!

Tom
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
http://frommars.smugmug.com
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #14
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes
You can always get off, THEN deploy the side stand.
+1 but I'm tall.

Somebody (I neglected to save the pic) took a piece of cable with a T handle on one end, routed it over the cylinder, around the cylinder guard then back under the cylinder to the stand. He would reach down, grab the T and pull like starting a mower. The stand would extend, he'd lower the bike onto it and . When he stood the bike up, everything then snapped into place. I thought it was pretty neat.

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #15
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,868
No one has been able to provide more information about the side stand fixer guy going out of business. I've got a big metal shear that require the use of both hands to deploy the blade. I was hoping he could help me fix it so I can use one hand to pull stuff out of the machine's throat while the blade is descending. He could probably use the business.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote