User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
destro500 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Tranny Rebuild Part 2

Well I am finally putting my '75 R90/6 tranny back together and I have encountered a problem. After measuring the endplay of the shafts, I thought I shimmed them apropiately leaving .004" clearance. However, after putting the cover back on, I am not able to spin either shaft by hand. I can do it with a 20 mm box wrench on the input shaft but I kind of remember being able to turn both shafts by hand. To test that I shimmed improperly, I removed the shims and tried again but with the same results, still hard to turn shafts. Any ideas as to what i could be doing wrong?
destro500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
Best is to start over. If it isn't shimmed right and the shafts don't turn freely, you are going to have problems.

Make a chart with each shaft listed, a line for the clearance measured, and another line for the calculated shim needed. That's the easiest way to keep it all straight, then double-check your work before you put the plate back on.

You might want to look at W6REC.com and http://jhau.maliwi.de/mot/gearbox.htm for more info. Cycleworks.net has good videos of the rebuild process.
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
dfc
Reluctant Cannonball

Oddometer: 2,743
before you take it all apart, rap on the input shaft with a soft hammer (pretty hard). the last couple times I did that it set that bushing in enough to free it up. You are trying to spin them in neutral first right?
Old 03-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,897
While the case is still warm and the cover is back on, with a rubber mallet, strike the case (input shaft too) a good WHAP at each of the bearing pockets. This will help fully seat the bearings and can make all the difference.

And, yes, the input shaft should spin freely by hand, and in any of the gears with a little resistance.