ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
dbrown OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Talking BMW zumo now has XM

I updated the software of my BMW zumo GPS to version 2.50 and XM has now been enabled for subscription, like the standard Garmin zumo 550 GPS.
dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:23 AM   #2
M1Tanker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
At this point, with all the updates, what exactly are the differences (other than the auto mount and possible price) between the Zumo 550 and the BMW Zumo?
M1Tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:49 AM   #3
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,212
This was posted over on the Zumo forum as well. Has anyone actually heard XM play through the BMW Zumo? Or is this just a case of the button is there, but it still doesn't do anything?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
ECM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
And that is the exact question I posted on the zumoforums as well
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
dbrown OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcrashnthru
This was posted over on the Zumo forum as well. Has anyone actually heard XM play through the BMW Zumo? Or is this just a case of the button is there, but it still doesn't do anything?
I have no XM antenna to to test it with but the "Changes from version 2.40 to version 2.50:" listed on Garmin WebUpdater included "Enabled XM satellite radio support. Requires GXM-30 accessory."

I suspect the capability was always there, just disabled due to contracts that BMW had with Sirrus, which apparently have expired, no longer apply due to the current XM/Sirrus purchase/merger, or have been renegotiated.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
Harrington
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
I'm waiting to see how BMW mounts the XM puck.
Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:16 AM   #7
dbrown OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Tanker
At this point, with all the updates, what exactly are the differences (other than the auto mount and possible price) between the Zumo 550 and the BMW Zumo?
From what I have gathered after months of checking forums, blogs, manufacturer websites and online/printed magazines, aside from the features listed below the software in the BMW zumo 550 and the Garmin zumo 550 is the same. The software version numbers on the Garmin unit are higher because it had more frequent updates, which is understandable since the designers/engineers probably just walked down the hall or to an adjacent building to get approval on software changes. The BMW team had both geographic and language barriers to overcome.

Below are the features I have found the BMW zumo to include that the Garmin zumo does not:

Black casing

BMW custom caps

Factory-styled mounting and wiring
BMW power cable and Garmin cradle included, additional bike-specific mounting hardware, to attach cradle to bike, must be purchased separately from BMW dealer.
Dead-reckoning feature enabled by use of CAN-bus connection through BMW power cable.
When the BMW zumo looses satellite reception, in tunnels, canyons, streets flanked by tall buildings, and such, it takes speed data gathered through its CAN-bus connection and heading data from its internal compass to produce continued position tracking on its display. (According to my dealer, this feature does not work on all BMW motorcycles. I have seen reports that it works well on the R1200GS, but have not tested it. Also, I have read that using the BMW power cable on the Garmin zumo will not enable this feature.)

Note: Since I originally posted this I have tested, tested and retested my BMW zumo/R1200GS for this feature. Although my results looked promising at first, I finally determined that the BMW power cable supplied with the unit has only two wires. A third wire was reportedly required to furnish speed data from the bike to the zumo. So either the feature was never available as reported, was discontinued and the power-cable changed to two-wire setup, or the speed data is somehow piggy-backed on the two-wire power connection--possible but unlikely. For more on my testing of this feature go here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446391 and here: http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=8317.0
Unit powers on when ignition key is switched to on and powers off a short time (about two minutes) after the ignition key is switched to off.

GTM 12 traffic receiver included in box
$150 if purchased separately.
Includes 3-month subscription.
$60 one-time fee for "lifetime" subscription. (See www.garmin.com for their "lifetime" details and a list of coverage areas.)
"BMW Motorrad" start-up screen

Worldwide BMW motorcycle dealer POI database, complete with address and phone number, is preloaded in unit. Has phone icon/button displayed next to phone number in each dealer listing. Simply touch the phone icon/button and the dealer's number is dialed on your bluetooth-connected phone.

3-year warranty (US)

Also I have seen reports that the BMW zumo has tougher build specifications than Garmin unit, but have been unable to confirm this.

And yes, the automobile mount must be purchased separately.

dbrown screwed with this post 04-01-2009 at 10:30 PM
Old 03-13-2009, 12:55 AM   #8
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,573
BMW dealer database as well as a newer more up to date privately maintained dealer database can be loaded onto regular Zumo and any other Garmin GPS.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/colle...t=010-00517-00

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?...;sa=view;id=28

http://gmccurdy1.home.att.net/Dealers/Dealers.html

Previous BMW Nav GPS's were ruggedized over the Garmin units they were based on.Since the Zumo was designed from the outset as a MC GPS don't know if this is still true.

JR356

JR356 screwed with this post 03-13-2009 at 01:13 AM
JR356 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
M1Tanker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
dbrown and JR356, Thanks.

At this point, since I'm in the market for a GPS and currently don't have one, I'm leaning toward the BMW Zumo. The price for me will be a wash. Having said that I'm still curious about the soon to be released Zumo 660.
M1Tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:11 AM   #10
Chacifer
sui generis

Oddometer: 6,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown
I have no XM antenna to to test it with but the "Changes from version 2.40 to version 2.50:" listed on Garmin WebUpdater included "Enabled XM satellite radio support. Requires GXM-30 accessory."

I suspect the capability was always there, just disabled due to contracts that BMW had with Sirrus, which apparently have expired, no longer apply due to the current XM/Sirrus purchase/merger, or have been renegotiated.

I hope someone can hook their updated BMW zumo up to a GXM-30 antenna to try this out. This would be pretty spectacular if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
I live in "Sport Mode"
Chacifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #11
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
I'm not sure why anyone would buy a "Zumo" from anyone but the company which makes it. I'd sooner deal with them directly and also deal with GPS retailers who know something about a GPS, unlike many BMW dealers. But that's just me.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #12
Chacifer
sui generis

Oddometer: 6,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo
But that's just me.

some BMW dealers offer steep discounts on their zumo when you buy a bike. I'd say it's akin to buying your GPS from any other retailer. When it breaks or you have problems, you're still not calling the place where you bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
I live in "Sport Mode"
Chacifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacifer
I hope someone can hook their updated BMW zumo up to a GXM-30 antenna to try this out. This would be pretty spectacular if it works.
If anyone has one in the DC area, we have GXM-30's for test.

The other key difference will be if the new Zumo will pass the XM audio out via BT - the 550 won't. Also, will data work - AKA Traffic and WX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garmin Website today
MSN Direct compatible: yes
FM traffic compatible: yes
XM Navtraffic & Radio for U.S. compatible: no
Speed limit indicator (displays speed limit for most major roads): yes

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:35 AM   #14
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
If anyone has one in the DC area, we have GXM-30's for test.

The other key difference will be if the new Zumo will pass the XM audio out via BT - the 550 won't. Also, will data work - AKA Traffic and WX.
The 550 will not transmit XM over bluetooth. You'll still need a dongle to do that.

The new 660 does not have XM capability.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:47 AM   #15
dbrown OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacifer
I'd say it's akin to buying your GPS from any other retailer. When it breaks or you have problems, you're still not calling the place where you bought it.
Actually warranty claims on the BMW zumo are handled directly through Garmin. I found this in the FAQ section of Garmin's website (US):

Quote:
Question:* How long is the warranty on my BMW Motorrad unit?
Answer:
From the date of purchase, there is a 3 year or 36K-mile warranty on the BMW Motorrad units.

For any warranty related issues, please contact Garmin Product Support at 1-800-800-1020 Mon-Fri 8a-7p (CST).
Last modified on:* 05/13/2008

dbrown screwed with this post 03-29-2009 at 11:54 PM