User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 03:14 AM   #1
spacekadet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Selling a bike: leave the fruit on it?

I'm interested in opinions on whether it is best to strip off the goodies and sell them separately to the bike, or leave it "as is".

It's certainly a lot easier to go with the "as is" option. But my feeling is that the sale price likely won't be boosted much by luggage and adventure gear which cost thousands in the first place. On top of that, it mainly appeals to hardcore adv types, so it's a much smaller market.

I spoke to a dealer friend about it on the weekend and he recommended "as is" ... but then he probably never pays market value anyway :(
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:19 AM   #2
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 9,682
Been a long long while since ive sold a bike but guess it depends on what the bike is and what the mods are - it certainly differentiates it to the other bikes offered for sale.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:19 AM   #3
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 8,575
Looking at selling my old 'White Beast', I was thinking of giving the buyer the option of 'as is' or back to standard trim

A lot of good touring gear on the old bastard & it's all been tested & sorted, on a vintage bike that's been proven reliable,

Work out what it's worth to you to take the gear off & sell it, as apposed what you are going to get for the bike, I know if I buy another bike - I'd like the option to buy it already set up & proven
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post Today at 03:27 AM
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:20 AM   #4
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,886
Added fruit makes a bike quicker to move but the going rate is only a bit more than without the fruit , depends if if want to muck about selling bits and peices or move the lot in one go . More money , but more work to part out the fruit and return the bike to stock for separate sales . You can sometimes get stuck with some items too if they are not really desirable for second hand purchase .
Old Today, 03:24 AM   #5
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 13,312
I stopped selling bikes in the early 90's

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:29 AM   #6
Not the Messiah
Not the Messiah

Oddometer: 219
From a bloke with various bits and pieces from the last two bikes still floating around in the shed, leave it all on and give it to the buyer whether he wants it or not!
I've got screens, tank bags, racks & bags from common older models which havn't moved on Gumtree or bike website classifieds.

Good luck whichever way you go...
Brian L
Not the Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:30 AM   #7
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 8,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfatbeerman View Post
Added fruit makes a bike quicker to move but the going rate is only a bit more than without the fruit , depends if if want to muck about selling bits and peices or move the lot in one go . More money , but more work to part out the fruit and return the bike to stock for separate sales . You can sometimes get stuck with some items too if they are not really desirable for second hand purchase .

In my case, I'll just use it on the next XS650 I build!!!!
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:49 AM   #8
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 2,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Messiah View Post
From a bloke with various bits and pieces from the last two bikes still floating around in the shed, leave it all on and give it to the buyer whether he wants it or not!
I've got screens, tank bags, racks & bags from common older models which havn't moved on Gumtree or bike website classifieds.
Sell the 'fruit' first .. that way you'll know it is gone.

Brother still has a tow bar from a car he sold ..new owner did not want to pay extra for it .. so Bro spent some hours taking it off .. will probably have to throw it out....
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:19 PM   #9
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,315
By the time you get around to pulling all the fruit off the market will have softened and you'll get nothing for the bike. Just push it into the back of the shed and buy another one.

A mate of mine sells his all set up and gets good money for them. I don't know how he does that.

But yeah, I still have fruit lying around from a bike I sold 9 years ago. So these days I would be inclined to sell it set up, unless I was buying a newer version of the same bike and the fruit fitted it.
Old Today, 03:55 PM   #10
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer: 1,843
At some stage i'll get another DR650. The one's on my shortlist will have tank, pipe, protection, suspension, seat, luggage etc. The more of the accepted mods done to it the appeal it will have to me.
various BMW airheads
fayeslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:37 PM   #11
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,626
Depends on how everything lines up at the time.

A few years ago I sold my DR650 on the fleamarket here.

I stripped everthing (pannier racks, bashplate, big tank etc, etc) of it and sold it stock standard, because I was going to fit all the gear to the new DR I intended to buy.

The bike took a long time to sell, I dropped the price a couple of times and ended up selling it for rock bottom to another inmate.

In the meantime I decided to buy a Yamaha instead. I then advertised all the gear I had taken off the DR on the fleamarket, initially as a job lot, thinking I could to split it up later if it proved necessary.

By then, the bloke who'd bought the bike was looking to set it up, saw all the bling advertised and bought it, saving himself heaps on the price of new stuff.

So he still got a good deal, and I, despite selling the bike cheap, ended up with a fair price, and both of us, being honourable gentleman, were happy.

So, there you go. Just replicate all of those circumstances and you should get exactly the same outcome (perhaps).
Old Today, 04:45 PM   #12
bikeroz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
I'm in the same boat right about now.

Adv footpegs off - original skinny ones on.
Rox Risers off.
Screen lip extender off.
Pannier racks off.
Crashbars stays on.
Headlight protector stays on.
Old Today, 04:54 PM   #13
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
If you have the time and inclination you may come out slightly ahead taking it back to stock but at this time of year a lot of guys are looking for bikes ready to go maybe slightly different later in the year.
Old Today, 08:06 PM   #14
OldDog
aka Hugh Jarse

Oddometer: 4,731
Good question. My thoughts are, if you have the time and the "farkles" are expensive ones eg exhaust, then do it. You'll get bugger all extra for a bike with aftermarket exhaust, say 15-20% of the exhausts value, as opposed to up to 50-60% of its value cleaned up and thrown on Fleabay or Ebay.

My 2 cents worth
OldDog is online now   Reply With Quote