User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
Ockrocket OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
Downside of buying online overseas.

Could this be the start of online overseas buying about to impact us?

I am nearly due for a rear tyre on the Strom, going with the Mitas E07 again.

So I went to AdventureMoto again, Steve and the team look after me well (not that I'm a big customer for them, they just treat me right and I appreciate it).

Janice mentioned Steve has decided not to stock tyres in the future as there is not enough profit in them to make it worthwhile.

Now I know many of you will say "tough shit" for AdventureMoto, and other companies here in Australia, but once our parts/tyre/bike dealers are all gone we will be at the mercy of overseas companies who will bleed us for every cent they can.

Personally I'm happy to pay a bit extra to local companies (but I do avoid the blatant rip off merchants), and to keep Aussies in jobs.

Needless to say I bought two rear tyres while I can get the brand/type I want, not get stuck having to by whatever crap the overseas companies will want to offload on to us in the future.

I'm not made of money, but supporting local companies is worth the extra little bit it costs, just to ensure we have our own local shops and suppliers to deal with long in to the future.

If you are nearly due for tyres (or any other gear for that matter) check out AdventureMoto or your other local suppliers, unless you are saving big bucks give the locals your money instead of foreign companies.. keep Aussies in jobs.

Okay, I will get down off my soapbox now.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:37 AM   #2
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

Oddometer: 2,791
After the OCR I went home via the Pilbara etc... My rear D606 had run up 9000km...still had some more to go....I ordered a new rear D606 from a Mt Tom Price bike shop...no probs, we can get one sent up...the tyre arrived the same time I got to Mt Tom Price...the tyre came from Perth ( I assume )...$230.00....plus they wanted $25.00 to fit it...I said no, I'll fit it ...which I did at Mt Augustas...still had a bit left on it but I didn't want to ride anymore with a tyre hanging off the back.. The people at Mt Augustas were happy to add it to there spares in the shed )

The old D606 rear and D606 front ..(which has 13000km on it and still got heaps left...could be due to fitting it on backwards ) ) was delivered to my front door ( or in my case , the local store, cause my letterbox is only a beat up kerosene tin ) for $218.00...in a coupla days.

Make of this what you will....
Old 09-22-2014, 12:44 AM   #3
Tradey
RTW Traveller

Oddometer: 217
Pay through the nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post
once our parts/tyre/bike dealers are all gone we will be at the mercy of overseas companies who will bleed us for every cent they can.
We have been at the mercy of local motorcycle traders for far too many years and with the wonderful 'interweb' we no longer have to pay the over inflated prices which Australian consumers have been doing for the past +20 years.

The cost of doing business in Australia has been proved to be 15-20% higher than other western countries, but why have we been paying double ? I stopped buying locally 10 or so years ago and now enjoy a lifestyle of consumer goods and motorcycle stuff I could otherwise afford.

If businesses wish to hold on to outdated 'bricks and mortar' business models then they risk the inevitable demise as smarter shoppers head elsewhere. As for the local online motorcycle traders, again, I am not going to pay double the price for an item I can buy directly overseas.

I take full advantage of the sub $1,000 GST import threshold, but even if the Government lowered that, it would still not change overseas buying patterns when the prices are still 30-40% cheaper.

Ockrocket, thank you for buying locally, many businesses need more people like you, but if they want my business they need to compete for it. Welcome to the new global economy...
Old 09-22-2014, 12:55 AM   #4
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,731
The downsides of buying online;

wrong parts shipped ... have to pay return shipping (or on sell it to someone)
cannot get it now

The upsides of buying on line;
service
price
delivered to my door
in most cases a wider selection and better quality products

---------------
The 10% GST difference does not explain price rises of upto 200% and a 6 week delivery... as quoted by an Australian accredited retailer through the Australian distributor. I don't buy things at Harvey Norman .. due to his attitude to the 10% GST on privately imported products.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:57 AM   #5
yety61
Global Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,165
Here's my take on buying O/S.

4yrs ago I wanted to buy a Leo Vince Evo II carbon can for my 800GS, so, contacted the local importer for price & availability, $975 and 6 weeks delivery.
Phark I say.
Off to the interwebs I go and I find a dealer in the US, has one in stock, $575AUD delivered to my door in 5 days.

Never purchased a part or accessory for a bike in OZ since.

Australian importers can kiss my arse, thieving mongrels...
yety61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:02 AM   #6
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post
Could this be the start of online overseas buying about to impact us?

I am nearly due for a rear tyre on the Strom, going with the Mitas E07 again.

So I went to AdventureMoto again, Steve and the team look after me well (not that I'm a big customer for them, they just treat me right and I appreciate it).

Janice mentioned Steve has decided not to stock tyres in the future as there is not enough profit in them to make it worthwhile.

Now I know many of you will say "tough shit" for AdventureMoto, and other companies here in Australia, but once our parts/tyre/bike dealers are all gone we will be at the mercy of overseas companies who will bleed us for every cent they can.

Personally I'm happy to pay a bit extra to local companies (but I do avoid the blatant rip off merchants), and to keep Aussies in jobs.

Needless to say I bought two rear tyres while I can get the brand/type I want, not get stuck having to by whatever crap the overseas companies will want to offload on to us in the future.

I'm not made of money, but supporting local companies is worth the extra little bit it costs, just to ensure we have our own local shops and suppliers to deal with long in to the future.

If you are nearly due for tyres (or any other gear for that matter) check out AdventureMoto or your other local suppliers, unless you are saving big bucks give the locals your money instead of foreign companies.. keep Aussies in jobs.

Okay, I will get down off my soapbox now.
So I guess that's two of us.

I do my bit and visit local shops for everything I can (that goes for things outside bikes as well).

But when people can save a dollar today they generally don't give a shit about tomorrow.

And those of us who try to do the right thing are in the minority unfortunately.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:15 AM   #7
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Ockrocket, I hope you end up being wrong with this as being able to walk into a shop, ask some useful questions and possibly find solutions, service and a reason to go back I think is great.

For a little back story I worked in the outdoor industry over 12 years ago and at the time I could buy MSR products from Canada for less than the cost price here in OZ. After there I worked in the pushie industry where a Specialized shop in New York bought more bikes than the entirety of OZ, hence their prices were much cheaper than here. Leo Vince might be an good example of the local vs overseas importers. Its possible that one store in the US buys more of these than the local importer, hence the massive price difference. Look at the Monaro in the US, with the exchange rate it was cheaper there than here and thats a whole bloody car thats made here.

The reason for this comment is that there are plenty of pushie shops still functioning even with the overseas purchasing, outdoor shops also. Some may have shut there doors but others are still going. Hence I hope moto shops continue operating and places like Adventuremoto continue. I've dealt with them before for bike gear and have found them more than helpful. Really its the exchange rate I think will change this if anything. If it drops to 70cents like it was years ago then maybe overseas purchasing may change, maybe not. I don't think it helps that one moto mob in OZ are the stockists for so much gear so others don't import gear as there is no where to market it. Also lets be honest, the US and Europe are overall much bigger markets, so why would importers even bring new gear in.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:17 AM   #8
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
Well shops here are getting more competative. I recently kitted both my kids from a shop. Cost wasn't much different than from U.S. once you factored in shipping. Except we got advice, service, got to try on all the sizes and the kids got to take it home.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:41 AM   #9
Ockrocket OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
Yes, there is good and bad for both purchasing options.

Sometimes the maths just doesn't add up by the time the goods arrive from overseas, and sometimes the local dealers just don't get it when it comes to looking after customers.

I will still do my bit for local shops where I can [without being ripped off, and after checking prices carefully online as well].

But the writing is on the wall I think.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:35 AM   #10
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by yety61 View Post

4yrs ago I wanted to buy a Leo Vince Evo II carbon can for my 800GS, so, contacted the local importer for price & availability, $975 and 6 weeks delivery.
Phark I say.
Off to the interwebs I go and I find a dealer in the US, has one in stock, $575AUD delivered to my door in 5 days.
Consider this: we have a medical supply business: our customers can buy equipment retail from America that IS MADE IN SYDNEY, for hundreds of dollars less than our wholesale price.
It's not exactly the same (but near enough) and we cannot buy from the US ourselves in terms of our contract with the suppliers and the TGA laws - who do close to jack-all about restricting this back-door supply.

It's usually not the retailers who are the "thieving mongrels" - but they are the people who go bankrupt, close up shop, lay off staff and walk out on rented premisis or mortgages. When they're gone, the customer has lost a convenient place to pick up small parts, get expert advice and detailed knowledge.
Thanks for your support.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #11
StayUpright
Witty Quip goes here

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Consider this: we have a medical supply business: our customers can buy equipment retail from America that IS MADE IN SYDNEY, for hundreds of dollars less than our wholesale price.
It's not exactly the same (but near enough) and we cannot buy from the US ourselves in terms of our contract with the suppliers and the TGA laws - who do close to jack-all about restricting this back-door supply.
On both sides of the coin - how can your wholesale price be higher than USA retail? Your wholesaler is ripping you off.

How can suppliers limit you to where you buy? That's anti competitive.

And why shouldn't you or anybody else buy from the USA? Our Pollies tell us how wonderful these free trade agreements are.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:35 AM   #12
Tradey
RTW Traveller

Oddometer: 217
Barking mad

1. BarkBusters - nice product, Made in Australia, Wollongong in fact. The two pairs I bought from an online retailer in NEW YORK were cheaper than the bike shop down the road here in Sydney, even by the time they travelled around the world and back home to Australia ???

2. Local BM-Trouble-U dealer wanted $174 for an F800GS rocker cover gasket (WTF) - delivered ex USA in 9 days for $86. Do the maths on that !

One trick I use is to consolidate my USA purchases and use an agent who finds the cheapest shipping rates: http://www.shipito.com/ (Also great for magazine ex Amazon too. I buy my sister a subscription to Vanity Fair for a third the AU price).
Old 09-23-2014, 01:23 AM   #13
Big Willy
two dementional

Oddometer: 2,107
I used to buy Dunlop d606's from the States especially when the dollar was on the par.

Looking at prices recently and taking into account cost of delivery, it is no longer viable or necessary so I buy locally.

I used to buy Mitas when they were cheap and delivered to my door but not any more when you can buy a pair of 606's fitted locally for $199
Old 09-23-2014, 01:28 AM   #14
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Go figure!! Check out Pivotpegz. Cheaper in the States but made in Aus. I rang the manufacturer and got some bullshit story about bike shops in the US selling at cost, cost of warehousing in Oz etc etc. I told him that was a load of crap and shove his pegs where the sun never shines.

On the other hand, I contacted Seat Concepts for a price delivered to Oz. I was given the reply that Adventuremoto were the local distributors. I then contacted Steve and have been given great personal service and advice.

Local with local people in mind?

I will go with Adventuremoto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradey View Post
1. BarkBusters - nice product, Made in Australia, Wollongong in fact. The two pairs I bought from an online retailer in NEW YORK were cheaper than the bike shop down the road here in Sydney, even by the time they travelled around the world and back home to Australia ???

2. Local BM-Trouble-U dealer wanted $174 for an F800GS rocker cover gasket (WTF) - delivered ex USA in 9 days for $86. Do the maths on that !

One trick I use is to consolidate my USA purchases and use an agent who finds the cheapest shipping rates: http://www.shipito.com/ (Also great for magazine ex Amazon too. I buy my sister a subscription to Vanity Fair for a third the AU price).
Old 09-23-2014, 03:05 AM   #15
yety61
Global Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by yety61 View Post

Phark I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post

It's usually not the retailers who are the "thieving mongrels" - but they are the people who go bankrupt, close up shop, lay off staff and walk out on rented premisis or mortgages. When they're gone, the customer has lost a convenient place to pick up small parts, get expert advice and detailed knowledge.
Thanks for your support.

I didn't say retailers.

Consider the fact I worked 10 years in the M/C industry so I believe I have some experience, in reality I feel sorry for the dealers to a degree. There is no money in the M/C industry unless you are an importer.

I'll buy a bike from a dealer, sure, but after that I don't need them, sorry.
yety61 is offline   Reply With Quote