Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #31
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by pRICK
Thought I would contribute my thoughts on the XR. Just did 5400k on one loaded with gear.

I don,t mind kick starting. It somehow reminds me of riding a real bike.
I just came back from a 2000k ride on my 950 and to be honest it was too easy. You get on, hit the button and go, all with no effort and so easy to sit on 140 all day. The XR has to be ridden and after a 12 hour day you know you have been on a bike. With the XR if I saw something I wanted to stop and have a look at, I would hit the brakes, skid off the side of the road, flip her around and hoon back, with the 950 there is a bit more care and effort required.

I think Jake mentioned 22k/l I was getting 14 but that was at 130 and as loaded as I would ever want to load an XR. I think mr Honda has stuffed up badly, imagine an injected XR700 Adventure or a competitive enduro version. I have actually changed my mind as to which bike I will take on long distance rides, If I am by myself it will be the XR, two up will be the KTM. I am not into motox or any competitive riding and for what I do, which is to get off the bitumen as often as I can, I think I have the best two bikes available. I considered a KLR or DR but I can do anything they can on the 950. The XR offers heaps more off road options, it also feels like a 125 two stroke after a trip on the 950.

Rick
I agree 100% I own both these bikes.Bring on theXR700XX
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #32
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,341
well done Jack

I cant wait to get the USDs on, i also got a CR/XR hybrid shock happening for it. found a cheap CR500 shock to get the bits from.

The bash plate does amplify the engine noise, i was abit nervous at first but its all normal.

pRICK, my 22k / L figure was conservative riding mode, just to see how much i could get out of it riding non aggressively to work and home in sydney traffic. Not too bad considering stop and start.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #33
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

[quote=ADVJake], "but then you have a reverse gear..."
Make a good side car set up you rekon?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #34
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake
I was planning to do that if this motor fails, but then you have a reverse gear...
What is real appealing about that motor though, its almost identical except its got a starter motor, EFI, the lot.
Probably the perfect dual sport motor in it and they put it in a bloody quad.
I thought that, until I actually had a look at a TRX700 quad... unfortunately the engine is very different - quite apart from a completely different bottom end/crank case (much bigger/longer than the 650R engine), it also has a single exhaust outlet which would be directly in-line with the downtube on the 650R frame... you would need to do an awful lot of butchery to get it to fit, and even then, I really don't think you'd fit it in the cradle of the 650R chassis...

Sorry...

Here, have a nice picture of a 650R with an e-start fitted (and another African Queens fairing btw.)

xxx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:36 PM   #35
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake
that looks good mate
what fairing is it?
Looks to me like the African Queens kit (no jokes, please) - same one I have on mine:

It's made in Germany (not that well I might add, you need to do a lot of finishing before paint and getting it to fit properly) and sadly very expensive for what you get... Looks good once it's finished/fitted though!

xxx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:04 AM   #36
Matt D
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Yes mate they are quite a noisy engine, mine is like that too.. It's even noisy with the stock plastic skid plate.. just one of the quirks on these bikes! I think a lot of it comes from backlash in the counterbalance gears. Nothing at all to worry about.
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:57 AM   #37
Bennett
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Question

wassup xr650r owners.

I realise this may be a bit biassed crowd to ask, but should I get an XR650R?

Currently have a 1200GS which is a great bike for road work and a bit of dirt, but any time the dirt gets a bit rugged, well the bike is very heavy to pick up, and too damned expensive to repair. Other than that great bike. Wont be selling it, next bike is a bit more of an off road adventure bike. Not any single track to speak of.

I don't have another car, so can't trailer bikes around and don't really like that idea anyway so I am left with bikes that can do at least some road work getting to the dirt.

Other req's that I think the brp fits is I can service and fix it myself, parts are reasonably cheap, bike is reliable, has lots of tourque .. I don't have to wring its neck to get power out of it.

Cant the brp be quiet? Not really quiet, but I don't like really loud dirt bikes. Annoy the hell out of me. I think being a big single it should be ok, more thump, less high pitched screaming. Lots of dirt bikes up at the farm in the Strathbogies are irritatingly loud. Don't want to hate myself

Thats about it. Used to have an xt600, was heavy and slow with bad suspension. If I hadn't sold it perhaps we would not be having this conversation, but I would rather build up an XR than an XT600 to my requirements. Don't want a DR or a KLR, too much like the XT.

Am I on the right track? I don't really want to spend too much, say $6.5K which should be a fair start on an XR..?

And yes, I think I have read all the other brp threads on the site :)
Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #38
ADVJake
***** dweller

You're on the right track bennett.
The XR-R is the do-it-all, that is if you're OK with kicking over a big single. I find it as easy to start as my old 200 2 stroke...

A 650 that feels like a 400 in heft, and has more power than even most 650s. Solid & reliable.

This is coming from a bloke who hasnt held onto a bike for more than a couple years, i dont think there is any better all rounder for the price.

As i hear often from those who can't go without their magic button's, they say the XR650R would be the top selling bike over the DR650 if it came from factory with e-start. I'd agree.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #39
jack82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett
I realise this may be a bit biassed crowd to ask, but should I get an XR650R?

Am I on the right track? I don't really want to spend too much, say $6.5K which should be a fair start on an XR..?
Don't think you'll have to spend $6.5..........that sort of $$$ would get you a near new one.I paid $4500 for an 03 with 15,000 kays.....12 months rego....scotts damper.....bashplate etc.

Did a 400 km bush ride on the weekend with a mate on an XT600..... ......his bike was nicer (more comfy,smoother) on the road and easy firetrails but everywhere else I'd take the XR.

I've only had this bike for a week but I think it's a keeper.The motors a gem.......it's happy plodding around or ripping it up.

jack82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:06 AM   #40
Bennett
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I haven't seen many XR's go for $4,500, they all seem to be $5,500 plus with no rego. Anyone know how hard it is to get one of these registered? I am assuming it would have to pass noise tests, add indicators etc. I am assuming all the power for the lights etc are there as they are an aussie bike.

I don't want to get I bike I have to do the rings on...

I sold my XT for $2000 to a dealer It needed new front disk and starter motor fixed up etc, front forks needed work. Had 40,000 ks on the clock but was still a 2002 model.. Wish I had kept it. I regret selling all my bikes eventually. Oh well, need to move on to better things .. like an XR.

Still looking for one. Anywhere other than bikesales?
Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:26 AM   #41
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I haven't seen many XR's go for $4,500,

Mate,look on e bay and elsewhere on net (Like the top of this page) their around, get one , I paid $4500 for an '01, and I recon i'll buy another as soon as I can...
Old 03-24-2009, 05:27 AM   #42
jack82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Trading post.......Bikepoint.

What state are you in..??...
Old 03-24-2009, 06:24 AM   #43
ADVJake
***** dweller

the ones for $4500 have high kilometers on them. Be very wary because the type of riding people do on them varies alot.
15,000kms of touring is very different to 15,000kms of single track and 4wd tracks
Old 03-25-2009, 04:08 AM   #44
jack82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My new XR has a scotts damper but it's one of the those with the arm off the oil filler plug.

I need higher bars.....2 to 3 inches.......recommendations ??
Old 03-25-2009, 04:41 AM   #45
ADVJake
***** dweller

rock up to your local bike shop and find the highest bend you can, along with some bar risers to adapt to your stock bar clamps.

I'll be fitting a scotts dampener once i get some CR500 triples for the USD front end with a forward post.