ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #4606
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ZXRaziel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Grey skyes and rain of Good old England ( NEast)
Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASUYAHO View Post
Whats your weight with back pack and riding gear ?

What tank you have ?
I am 85 kg without the gear , i guess that the helmet, boots ,... will be about 10kg , i am getting the acerbis BIG fuel tank and wanting to carry tent and few bits on the back of the beast , ( not big load i prefer to travel as light as possible and use the money to buy stuff instead of carying everything - food mainly ) .
__________________
good things them hondas
ZXRaziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #4607
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ZXRaziel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Grey skyes and rain of Good old England ( NEast)
Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post





this my front end ... this is what i want to build
That truly is a pig .
I like the LED rack under the baja light , good place to fit it .
__________________
good things them hondas

ZXRaziel screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 07:36 PM
ZXRaziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #4608
KASUYAHO
Road Hog
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Aussie Land
Oddometer: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXRaziel View Post
I am 85 kg without the gear , i guess that the helmet, boots ,... will be about 10kg , i am getting the acerbis BIG fuel tank and wanting to carry tent and few bits on the back of the beast , ( not big load i prefer to travel as light as possible and use the money to buy stuff instead of carying everything - food mainly ) .
I am / was the same weight as you 87kg plus riding gear / back pack = 15kg.
Big tank too "Acerbis" when getting suspension done / TEKNIK.
Forks ended up being .47 and shock 10.5 was what Nick recomended,
when i asked him about the bigger tank and running the .48 fork spring,
Nick did not seem to be phased by running the bigger tank when
talking about the fork spring rates.
The shim stack is the key to a suspension IMHO
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #4609
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP
 
Lostsaffa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cannon Hill, Brisbane
Oddometer: 574
Not new, but nice vid of the Safari XR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRyPLAoPirg
__________________
WTB: XR650R Johnny Campbell Signature Triple Clamps (Blue anodized), Please PM me if you know of any for sale for my 1x replica build!
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #4610
KASUYAHO
Road Hog
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Aussie Land
Oddometer: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
Yeh i posted those up awhile ago.

GHR bikes,
TEKNIK "Nick Dole" prepared suspension and engines,

Brakes by Stamo.
http://www.johnstamnas.com/







KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #4611
ditchwitch650
living the nightmare
 
ditchwitch650's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: sunshine coast, QLD
Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASUYAHO View Post
The shim stack is the key to a suspension IMHO
there are 2 main tuning processes

1, under spring and over-valve,
2, or over springing and under valving

option 1 can often lead to harness in the front end getting arm pump and kicked off line and harness hitting tree roots and rocks so better suited to road use, motard light/mid offroad or MX

option 2 see the front end dip under brakes but reacts alot better on rutts rocks and tree roots, better suited to tight off road riding enduro's hill climbes rocks and rutts

depending on your stated purpose of the bike will depend on which option is better or a balance of the 2
it really depends on the tuner and what you tell them

and to be honest i can't see the $1200 or so that tecnik charge, mpe and suspenion matters are around half that for what i can see is the same service correct me if i am wrong
__________________
XR650R



ditchwitch650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #4612
KASUYAHO
Road Hog
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Aussie Land
Oddometer: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchwitch650 View Post
there are 2 main tuning processes

1, under spring and over-valve,
2, or over springing and under valving

option 1 can often lead to harness in the front end getting arm pump and kicked off line and harness hitting tree roots and rocks so better suited to road use, motard light/mid offroad or MX

option 2 see the front end dip under brakes but reacts alot better on rutts rocks and tree roots, better suited to tight off road riding enduro's hill climbes rocks and rutts

depending on your stated purpose of the bike will depend on which option is better or a balance of the 2
it really depends on the tuner and what you tell them

and to be honest i can't see the $1200 or so that tecnik charge, mpe and suspenion matters are around half that for what i can see is the same service correct me if i am wrong
What would you pay for a suspension that gave you the best of option 1 and 2.
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #4613
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP
 
Lostsaffa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cannon Hill, Brisbane
Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASUYAHO View Post
What would you pay for a suspension that gave you the best of option 1 and 2.
I don't believe you can have both, horses for courses so to speak. If that were possible, race teams who visit numerous tracks in a season would not need a dedicated suspension crew.
__________________
WTB: XR650R Johnny Campbell Signature Triple Clamps (Blue anodized), Please PM me if you know of any for sale for my 1x replica build!
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:23 AM   #4614
ditchwitch650
living the nightmare
 
ditchwitch650's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: sunshine coast, QLD
Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASUYAHO View Post
What would you pay for a suspension that gave you the best of option 1 and 2.
You can't have both in 1 set up! it is 1 or the other , I have a a crf450r aswell as the xr with crf front end, 1 spring rate difference springs, 1 with heavier springs is valved softer for tight rougher tracks and the other has stiffer valving for moto x, depend on where / what style of riding i'm doing i swap em! so currently with battle wing tyres 15/40 gearing and planning a long trip with open off road sections loaded bigger tank etc i have the stiffer valved forks in

both have gold valves for added control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
I don't believe you can have both, horses for courses so to speak. If that were possible, race teams who visit numerous tracks in a season would not need a dedicated suspension crew.
many of them have 4 or 5 suspension sets to chose from depending on the track, then fine tune to the suit the on track conditions
__________________
XR650R



ditchwitch650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #4615
KASUYAHO
Road Hog
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Aussie Land
Oddometer: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
I don't believe you can have both, horses for courses so to speak. If that were possible, race teams who visit numerous tracks in a season would not need a dedicated suspension crew.
True,
But a Rallye like Safari covers all different terrian,
like in the movies above.
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:39 AM   #4616
ditchwitch650
living the nightmare
 
ditchwitch650's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: sunshine coast, QLD
Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASUYAHO View Post
True,
But a Rallye like Safari covers all different terrian,
like in the movies above.
and i that case they go with a heavier spring and compromise valving so the bike can deal with both well but neither 100%
__________________
XR650R



ditchwitch650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:57 AM   #4617
KASUYAHO
Road Hog
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Aussie Land
Oddometer: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchwitch650 View Post
and i that case they go with a heavier spring and compromise valving so the bike can deal with both well but neither 100%
From talking to Nick i would disagree.

Sean-0 has a .48 rate spring in his forks. MPE

I have .47 rate spring in my forks. TEKNIK

I have the same setup as PS in the movie above.
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #4618
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP
 
Lostsaffa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cannon Hill, Brisbane
Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASUYAHO View Post
True,
But a Rallye like Safari covers all different terrian,
like in the movies above.
It would be a compromised setup to best balance the performance between the terrain in the event, not the best of all. If the event allowed, the teams would want a separate setup for each varying terrain. It is finding that balance to suit the rider that separates the men from the boys in the suspension world of Rally type riding.
__________________
WTB: XR650R Johnny Campbell Signature Triple Clamps (Blue anodized), Please PM me if you know of any for sale for my 1x replica build!
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #4619
ditchwitch650
living the nightmare
 
ditchwitch650's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: sunshine coast, QLD
Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASUYAHO View Post
From talking to Nick i would disagree.

Sean-0 has a .48 rate spring in his forks. MPE and what was the spec set up asked for sean's weight etc

I have .47 rate spring in my forks. TEKNIK as above and have you swapped bike and re-rode tracks on both bikes to compare the pair?

I have the same setup as PS in the movie above.
you really can't compare them as tecnik did your setup and mpe did sean -o's, and what where they set up for by the tuner? what weight difference it there between riders gear and tank size

i have the benifit of having the 2 setups to compare and i know what works where

as far as i know there aren't any major optional upgrades like gold vales or other parts to justify the extra cost, in 2004 i priced both tecnik ($1200 + postage and mpe ($600) drop off both where supplying the same springs .49 racetech in front and 12.5 eiback in the rear new seals etc. I asked where the extra $$$ with no real answer
__________________
XR650R



ditchwitch650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:22 AM   #4620
KASUYAHO
Road Hog
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Aussie Land
Oddometer: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
It would be a compromised setup to best balance the performance between the terrain in the event, not the best of all. If the event allowed, the teams would want a separate setup for each varying terrain. It is finding that balance to suit the rider that separates the men from the boys in the suspension world of Rally type riding.
IMHO Yep.

Then manipulate the oil passing through the valve with the shim stack,
and change the geometery which is what TEKNIK do and others don't / don't know how to.
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014