Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 04:43 AM   #5656
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy69 View Post
That's pretty cheap for a handy bit of kit. Have you got / used one of them Sean? I'm staying old school for now and sticking with the levers on the floor. Bloody good practice for out in the field. A few of my mates have never changed a tyre, so I either get them to come over when I am doing mine or demo on their ones. Good way to earn a carton.

Glenn, I read a write-up somewhere saying these were the go. Supposed to be real durable.

http://www.4enduro.com/mousse-tubes.html

Has anyone here used them? Thoughts?
Cheers Smithy,
Some food for thought.
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:59 AM   #5657
TB650
Would be Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
Answers in blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB650

I have tried them the Littswood ones and Pirelli one and end up back with the Michelin ones. More expensive but they last best IMO. Use good lube, not rubber grease but the genuine Michelin lube if you can. They need to be lubed regularly and keep the wheels of the ground when parking the bike for a period of time.
Why keep the wheels on the ground when parked for a period of time ?

They get flat spots

Fronts are easy to change, rears you will need that tyre changer.
personally on my XR and the KTM I only run fronts now as heat and speed damages a mousse and they need replacing regularly. On the rear a ultra-heavy duty tube Michelin or Bridgestone will see you through.
I had issues with the ULTRA heavy duty tubes, being that they get hot
with high speed running, the outer of the tubes seems to rub off and then they start to leak, Robby Turton experienced the same, so run heavy duty tubes.

More powder mate, only ever had one rear flat with an ultra heavy duty and that was a 4 year old tube that had been in 3 bikes and done 50k +, btw a railway spike was its demise. That includes A4DE, Condos and Yellow Mountain events. Am sure we fitted Michelin ultra heavy duty tubes to the GHR bikes at finke when I was with them in 2008

Glen I never ran Mousses at Condo, Yellow Mountain or any of the faster events I only used them trail riding, A4DE, club rounds etc. They are confidence inspiring in the rocky going, you just wind the damper up and hold it pinned. Harder to dent rims also as they don’t compress like an air filled tube.
What do you mean by don't compress like air filled tube ?
Whats the feel.

I mean if you put 10psi in a tube you can squeeze it together with your fingers right? Cant do that with a mousse, protects your rims if you think about it. Feel is like a front with between 14 to 10psi when new

They also seem to last better in Michelin tyres from experience.
Yep i heard that, matching the inner profile of the tire i believe,
different non matching profile to inner, more movement, more fiction,
more heat etc.
I'll run Desert rear 140/90/18.
HP4 front with a 1.80/21 rim i am thinking, GHR.

When I did the 4 day in 2006 we were supported by Maxxis tyres and I had a 2 day old front mousse fail day two. Also most blokes use rim locks with them, I never bothered. They didn’t seem to spin on the rim and even if they did I figured there isn’t valve to rip out.

Did you balance the wheel ? not saying that was the problem.
No, why it was the A4DE didnt get out of 3rd gear all event on a XR650

Good luck
Cheers

TB
Old 02-22-2013, 05:05 AM   #5658
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
you thinking mousse as well ... glenn pricked my mind on that ....no i havent got 1 of those changers thingy's .....i hate to say this but i have never had a flat on a motorcycle in my life ...touch wood ...i have however ..changed a few in the yard ....lets say it was an all day event ...but however,i did get the bloody thing on in the end
Don't forget Michelin T63 rear
Old 02-22-2013, 05:15 AM   #5659
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy69 View Post
That's pretty cheap for a handy bit of kit. Have you got / used one of them Sean? I'm staying old school for now and sticking with the levers on the floor. Bloody good practice for out in the field. A few of my mates have never changed a tyre, so I either get them to come over when I am doing mine or demo on their ones. Good way to earn a carton.

Glenn, I read a write-up somewhere saying these were the go. Supposed to be real durable.

http://www.4enduro.com/mousse-tubes.html

Has anyone here used them? Thoughts?
I've got one Smithy. Good for really stubborn beads and larger width rims. Not that you XR boys need to worry about that. Had a hp4 I couldn't get off with levers and needed this to break the bead.

One reason for mousse on the front only is that they can melt with enough heat. Saw one a few years ago from a 690rr that was only 2/3 complete. Guess that's what happens when the rear is going twice as fast as the bike.

If you don't want the piss taken, stop giving it away!
Chop Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #5660
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASUYAHO View Post
Slickwill,

You posted up a pic awhile ago of a part of your bike bolts that were wired
so they don't come loose.

Could you post up a list or pics of the area's that JC / Honda have used wire.
If you could that would be great.
When I got it the only part that was safety wired was the grips. They had drilled holes in the left side cover and both rad shrouds then loosely affixed a zip tie so that they wouldn't separate from the bike if bolts had come loose. Almost all important fasteners had been installed with red rtv as a "non-permanent" locking agent. There was at least one intermediate owner so the rtv may have been his doing. I added safety wire to become legal for my race series.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:07 AM   #5661
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,699
One of you guys at honda nerang today about 12.30 ? - 650 on the back of a navara I think he was selling it - was gona say gday but he was a bit busy
Old 02-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #5662
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Thinking about getting one of these

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north...ols/1011968340

I am after one too but WOW that is cheap , it seems like good buy Kasuyaho .
Old 02-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #5663
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
drop the hammer on this Glenn ...same shit just no leavers another cheap crap
http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/...h-bead-breaker

do it now while its on sale
Bargain , normaly everything cost more down under but it seems you lads are getting some good deals lately .
Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #5664
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB650 View Post
Answers in blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB650

I have tried them the Littswood ones and Pirelli one and end up back with the Michelin ones. More expensive but they last best IMO. Use good lube, not rubber grease but the genuine Michelin lube if you can. They need to be lubed regularly and keep the wheels of the ground when parking the bike for a period of time.
Why keep the wheels on the ground when parked for a period of time ?

They get flat spots

Fronts are easy to change, rears you will need that tyre changer.
personally on my XR and the KTM I only run fronts now as heat and speed damages a mousse and they need replacing regularly. On the rear a ultra-heavy duty tube Michelin or Bridgestone will see you through.
I had issues with the ULTRA heavy duty tubes, being that they get hot
with high speed running, the outer of the tubes seems to rub off and then they start to leak, Robby Turton experienced the same, so run heavy duty tubes.
More powder mate, only ever had one rear flat with an ultra heavy duty and that was a 4 year old tube that had been in 3 bikes and done 50k +, btw a railway spike was its demise. That includes A4DE, Condos and Yellow Mountain events. Am sure we fitted Michelin ultra heavy duty tubes to the GHR bikes at finke when I was with them in 2008

Glen I never ran Mousses at Condo, Yellow Mountain or any of the faster events I only used them trail riding, A4DE, club rounds etc. They are confidence inspiring in the rocky going, you just wind the damper up and hold it pinned. Harder to dent rims also as they donít compress like an air filled tube.
What do you mean by don't compress like air filled tube ?
Whats the feel.
I mean if you put 10psi in a tube you can squeeze it together with your fingers right? Cant do that with a mousse, protects your rims if you think about it. Feel is like a front with between 14 to 10psi when new

They also seem to last better in Michelin tyres from experience.
Yep i heard that, matching the inner profile of the tire i believe,
different non matching profile to inner, more movement, more fiction,
more heat etc.
I'll run Desert rear 140/90/18.
HP4 front with a 1.80/21 rim i am thinking, GHR.

When I did the 4 day in 2006 we were supported by Maxxis tyres and I had a 2 day old front mousse fail day two. Also most blokes use rim locks with them, I never bothered. They didnít seem to spin on the rim and even if they did I figured there isnít valve to rip out.

Did you balance the wheel ? not saying that was the problem.
No, why it was the A4DE didnt get out of 3rd gear all event on a XR650

Good luck
Cheers

TB
Stayed away from using powder, have seen moisture in the tire, turning the powder to a paste, not effective at all.

Thanks for the input TB
Old 02-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #5665
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill View Post
When I got it the only part that was safety wired was the grips. They had drilled holes in the left side cover and both rad shrouds then loosely affixed a zip tie so that they wouldn't separate from the bike if bolts had come loose. Almost all important fasteners had been installed with red rtv as a "non-permanent" locking agent. There was at least one intermediate owner so the rtv may have been his doing. I added safety wire to become legal for my race series.

What series are you doing Slickwell ?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #5666
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Chop View Post
I've got one Smithy. Good for really stubborn beads and larger width rims. Not that you XR boys need to worry about that. Had a hp4 I couldn't get off with levers and needed this to break the bead.

One reason for mousse on the front only is that they can melt with enough heat. Saw one a few years ago from a 690rr that was only 2/3 complete. Guess that's what happens when the rear is going twice as fast as the bike.
Use the side stand to break the bead.

Looking at one of these Rod to just make it a little easier to change out tires
with Mousses.

Remember AC in the last stages of Dakar gob smacked everyone
with his speed only to unfortunately have rear Mousse troubles.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #5667
TB650
Would be Adventurer

Quote:
Stayed away from using powder, have seen moisture in the tire, turning the powder to a paste, not effective at all.

Thanks for the input TB
If I was getting ready for a wet event I wouldnt, if it rained during the paste wont hurt shit. I only know what I have done at my events and what I observed as part of the GHR finke team

Good luck with it, got your tank out today and gave it a clean up

TB
Old 02-24-2013, 12:36 AM   #5668
ditchwitch650
living the nightmare

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB650 View Post
If I was getting ready for a wet event I wouldnt, if it rained during the paste wont hurt shit. I only know what I have done at my events and what I observed as part of the GHR finke team

Good luck with it, got your tank out today and gave it a clean up

TB
i have taken to using moose grease on my UHD tubes a little messy when changing tyres but no flats in the srcub no mucky past or rubber pilling

ditchwitch650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:48 AM   #5669
TB650
Would be Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchwitch650 View Post
i have taken to using moose grease on my UHD tubes a little messy when changing tyres but no flats in the srcub no mucky past or rubber pilling
I havent given that a thought DW, food for thought. Cheers

TB
Old 02-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #5670
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
What series are you doing Slickwell ?
Mine is converted to supermoto and I run a local asphalt only supermoto series.

slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote