User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 11:36 PM   #6706
Albi
Have pig will travel

Oddometer: 159
Petrol in oil

Hey guys, just checked my oil and discovered a slight petrol smell.. Did a full service about 400ks ago and have checked oil level a cpl times since and it's been fine. This time oil level was a about an inch down. I wouldn't have noticed the smell, but for some reason i sniffed the tissue.. Glad I did.
The bike is starting and running fine. Stock carb.
Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance.
Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:12 AM   #6707
Albi
Have pig will travel

Only 9,800ks poppy, 500 of mine. No smoke and it runs great.
I'm suspecting gummy float letting some to seep through the rings?
I had a KLR years ago that got a stuck float and filled the entire crankcase up, I was wondering why it wouldn't start. Lucky it didn't.
Would too high of an oil level encourage un-burnt fuel through the rings on this engine?
Old 01-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #6708
GSXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Albi,
An inch down on the dipstick is nothing to worry about. If it's running fine, just ride it and check level when HOT to confirm.
Stop smelling the tissue dude.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #6709
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Fuel in oil

[QUOTE=Albi;23164853]Only 9,800ks poppy, 500 of mine. No smoke and it runs great.
I'm suspecting gummy float letting some to seep through the rings?
I had a KLR years ago that got a stuck float and filled the entire crankcase up, I was wondering why it wouldn't start. Lucky it didn't.
Would too high of an oil level encourage un-burnt fuel through the rings on this engine

Albi,
Anything is possible but fuel in the oil is highly unlikely, unless -
1) The carb breathers are blocked leaving no where for the fuel to run out (A stuck float or leaking needle/seat will fill the float bowl to where the level drains out the overflow pipes)
2) The bike is parked down hill (or some other weird angle) at a very steep angle enabling fuel to flow up past the slide needle/needle jet assembly or other air bleed passage and into the motor that way
3) The bike has been resting on it's side for a lengthy time leaving fuel to flow out and into the motor

If fuel did in fact get into the motor motor it will mix with the oil and not likely be noticeable, would'nt think it would be detectable to the nose but who knows (different knows!) any thing is possible.

As an aside, I discovered some instructions supplied with my SAFARI tank recently.
They mentioned some XR650's have been known to dribble from the carby overflows, their recommended test was to shake the bike for a while and see if any fuel leaked out - if so lower the float level.
Recall speaking with them prior to ordering my tank and was told they became aware of the issue when they left the fuel taps on a bike in their bike trailer.
On arrival at the event the tank had lost a significant amount of fuel, this made them aware of checking the float levels.
Had the same issue on mine when I got it and after lowering the float level 1mm or so the problem stopped.
Float level has been raised here a number of times but if you have the stock carby I'd suggest setting it 1mm lower than factory spec (check where its set before making any changes).

Regards,

JM-2008
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #6710
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,165
21st jan bike goes on the dyno again ...last run it went 51 hp with a crap stock pipe a dodge stock carb ... wont be going back to that same dyno ...am giving it to fred at procycle ....i can come in to booth with him and film ....looking forward to it ...bike now has new pumper carb and exhaust so i expect it to go better ......she's on 76,000 k's so if it pulls good numbers ill be happy
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #6711
galbo950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
So Seano, if it doesn't pull good numbers, then what? Keep riding the young blokes 250 instead?
galbo950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:17 PM   #6712
Albi
Have pig will travel

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Maybe I'm just paranoid.. Could someone please go out and sniff their dipstick for me tho?? Smithy??
The inch down on the dipstick was after a good ride, the other times I checked it was after 5 mins idling in the driveway. Does this make a difference?
Anyways, changed the oil, took it for a ride, then dropped the oil no petrol smell..
New oil and filter again tmro, and I'll just keep an eye/nose on it.

Gonna inspect the carb tonight too JM-2008. Is the float level measured from the face of the chamber to the bottom of the float?

Cheers
Old 01-08-2014, 11:41 PM   #6713
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,485
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:41 PM   #6714
Sean-0
Closed

galbo im gunna swap it ......its a weapon now ...she really hauls the mail but running rich and pops and farts and stalls at the lights ....whenits up in the rev range it goes well better than it ever has but it need tuning with a dyno

fred at procycle is a good guy and knows his stuff i hve taken bikes to him b4 ..he's a lil expensive but you get what you pay for ...my last dyno guy well thats another story
Old 01-09-2014, 12:58 AM   #6715
GSXR
Studly Adventurer

Yes it makes a difference mate. Waste of time checking oil level unless you've done at least 5km ride. The idea is to check it upon return from a ride ie HOT, not warm or otherwise. The best value mod for these bikes is the Sight Tube. Look it up. They are brilliant. That painfull dipstick can stay in untill it's time to change oil ie max 1500 - 2000 km.
I wouldn't suggest fucking about with carby unless you have a rough running fault or it will likely end in tears.
If You Wanna Rock, Keep It Stock.

Otherwise, good luck.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:03 AM   #6716
GSXR
Studly Adventurer

Surely you're not still running that hideous loud pipe Sean. Stock pipe with HRC baffle is the only way to go. Less wank value, but nice sound, good power, won't fail & never needs repacking.
Good luck with the dyno mate.

Took mine out for a skid up the beach on the weekend. Yee-fucken-yah! Fun.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-09-2014, 01:08 AM   #6717
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Float level

[QUOTE=Albi;23173252]Thanks for the replies everyone.
Maybe I'm just paranoid.. Could someone please go out and sniff their dipstick for me tho?? Smithy??
The inch down on the dipstick was after a good ride, the other times I checked it was after 5 mins idling in the driveway. Does this make a difference?
Anyways, changed the oil, took it for a ride, then dropped the oil – no petrol smell..
New oil and filter again tmro, and I'll just keep an eye/nose on it.

Gonna inspect the carb tonight too JM-2008. Is the float level measured from the face of the chamber to the bottom of the float?

Cheers

Albi
Remove the float bowl and the gasket
Hold the carb sideways so the floats hang down from the hinge pin
Rotate the carb slowly upright till you see the float adjustment tab lift off the spring loaded pin on the needle and seat (fuel needle).
Gently roll back again till the tab on the floats touches the spring loaded pin
At this point you must do two things -
1) Firstly check both floats are the same distance from the carb body and do not touch any part of the carby internals except the spring loaded pin(if not, try to determine which side has/is/might be bent and gently bend it back till both floats sit at exactly the same height ie parallel to each other)
2) Now check the float level and adjust if required remembering to add +1mm to the factory spec.
Note: Float level is not adjusted by bending the floats and or float arms as some Neanderthal's have been known to do.
The correct method is to gently adjust (bend) the tab that contacts the spring loaded pin.
Sounds complex but very simple once you understand

Apologies to all if this is obvious.
Regards,

JM-2008

EDIT: Just noticed Dr Nicks video - +1 on the demonstration but remember to check BOTH sides because if the float has been bent or twisted the effective fuel level will be determined by the lowest (highest!) float.

jm-2008 screwed with this post 01-09-2014 at 01:16 AM
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:30 AM   #6718
Sean-0
Closed

yes its all about the wank ..its not to loud if ya just puttering around like i do
Old 01-09-2014, 01:45 AM   #6719
GSXR
Studly Adventurer

What?
Can't hear you.
Ears are ringing.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:20 AM   #6720
Albi
Have pig will travel

Nice link KASUYAHO, & thanks JM-2008.
Carb and bowl are spotless, lines are clean. Float and needle are fine and not overflowing so left as is.
I swear the oil smelt a bit like fuel, or is that just the sweet carcinogens that this motor produces?
Good advice there too Smithy..
Thanks again guys.

Looking forward to seeing your dyno footage Sean-O!
Your bike is a testament to the species.
Can anyone else brag higher kms?

Cheers