Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2014, 12:41 AM   #7921
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,302
hey saffa, what gearing do you run? Geez it taps out easy.
... the XR is the greatest off road motorcycle ever constructed. There's nothing it can't do, hasn't won or will not outperform.
digga1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:14 AM   #7922
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by digga1111 View Post
hey saffa, what gearing do you run? Geez it taps out easy.
It's got 15/45 but I had the Vortex on 'traction' for that main bit of the video. The first bit when I dented the rim and rode past the camera was on 'power' which raises the limiter. Even though it hits the limiter it is still accelerating as it bites, that's why I let it bounce a little.

I find the traction helps because anything over and above that rpm on the loose surface is just wasted power (and my tires last longer )
Old 06-08-2014, 03:16 AM   #7923
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
It's got 15/45 but I had the Vortex on 'traction' for that main bit of the video. The first bit when I dented the rim and rode past the camera was on 'power' which raises the limiter. Even though it hits the limiter it is still accelerating as it bites, that's why I let it bounce a little.

I find the traction helps because anything over and above that rpm on the loose surface is just wasted power (and my tires last longer )
Did you get the Vortex reprogrammed ?

You got the lightened flywheel on it hey ?
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:16 AM   #7924
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
dented the rim, bounced of the limiter,cool vid Travis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post
Don't think I've heard a BRP on the limiter that much.
Sounds healthy, looks good, should be proud of it.
Well done
Thanks guys, yeah she's running well. I rode for two hours after the dented rim without any knowledge of it, so I guess that means the suspension and steering damper are doing their jobs
Old 06-08-2014, 03:44 AM   #7925
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KASUYAHO View Post
Did you get the Vortex reprogrammed ?

You got the lightened flywheel on it hey ?
The Vortex and hot cam stage 1 came with the bike when I bought it. It has a toggle switch with the two settings. It does have a modified Flywheel.

I don't know what has made the biggest difference in power output because I added the Batwing and race pipe at the same time, it certainly performs better down low and the mid range though.

The suspension eclipses the power gains though, I rode that stretch along the Bruce on the East side where the 4x4's churn up and down and it soaked up some big hits that would have slowed me right down before.

Lostsaffa screwed with this post 06-08-2014 at 03:55 AM
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:37 AM   #7926
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Quote:
The Vortex and hot cam stage 1 came with the bike when I bought it. It has a toggle switch with the two settings. It does have a modified Flywheel.

I don't know what has made the biggest difference in power output because I added the Batwing and race pipe at the same time, it certainly performs better down low and the mid range though.

The suspension eclipses the power gains though, I rode that stretch along the Bruce on the East side where the 4x4's churn up and down and it soaked up some big hits that would have slowed me right down before.
In the end of the Vortex is a switch with 10 settings from memory, and as you said the switch on the bars they call power traction mode, with mine it was reprogrammed and the flywheel lightened and the ignition timing trigger was moved to give more advance.
I found with this being done it let the engine rev alot easier.
My guess is the stock timing is way to retarded, probably to get past emissions especially with that restriction in the intake manifold.

With the head work i got done on mine it has way more low end torque,
like on the road so it has traction i can just roll on the throttle off idle and the front wheel comes up.
But i am keen to play with that bat wing and see what difference it makes.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #7927
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:
In the end of the Vortex is a switch with 10 settings from memory, and as you said the switch on the bars they call power traction mode, with mine it was reprogrammed and the flywheel lightened and the ignition timing trigger was moved to give more advance.
I found with this being done it let the engine rev alot easier.
My guess is the stock timing is way to retarded, probably to get past emissions especially with that restriction in the intake manifold.

With the head work i got done on mine it has way more low end torque,
like on the road so it has traction i can just roll on the throttle off idle and the front wheel comes up.
But i am keen to play with that bat wing and see what difference it makes.
Seems the same as mine except for the programming. I have seen some that have those little clock dial switches (is that what yours has?) but I'm thinking my Vortex is an older model.

Another characteristic that I didn't have before is the increased engine braking at lower speeds, could be the jetting/Batwing/Pipe but not too sure which.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:18 AM   #7928
Funone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
NICE Lostaffa sounds nice and healthy.

And I agree with Sean-0 about mineral oil as that is all that has gone into mine, penrite hpr 30 to be exacted. The bike has ran this since the first oil change from new. It has had a freshen up but only due to a chains snapping and cracking crank case. Had over 50K when this happened and the mechanic was impressed with the inside, only just threw a set of rings in her and timing chain and adjusters for good measure. My mate bought his at the same time and has over 90K with no rebuild in sight, using the same oil. I buy it in 20L drums as I use it in the old cars I have, works out to be good value.

I also have a bad confession, I rode a KTM on the weekend and liked it, but only doubling my kids around, so wasn't riding hard as I haven't got full movement in my wrist yet.

Don't worry I wouldn't trade the trusty XR in for anything, but it was good to ride something light with a bit of go.
Funone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:25 AM   #7929
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Quote:
Seems the same as mine except for the programming. I have seen some that have those little clock dial switches (is that what yours has?) but I'm thinking my Vortex is an older model.

Another characteristic that I didn't have before is the increased engine braking at lower speeds, could be the jetting/Batwing/Pipe but not too sure which.
Yeah my Vortex has the clock type swtch in the end of the unit,
X10 it has 10 settings, when i got the flywheel / Vortex mod done by Nick
he installed a different map that is the power map.
And there is another map that has more power again.

Did you do anything with the carby to give you more engine braking ?
or just the only change being the pipe and bat wing ?
Old 06-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #7930
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:
Yeah my Vortex has the clock type swtch in the end of the unit,
X10 it has 10 settings, when i got the flywheel / Vortex mod done by Nick
he installed a different map that is the power map.
And there is another map that has more power again.

Did you do anything with the carby to give you more engine braking ?
or just the only change being the pipe and bat wing ?
I went from 65s/172main to 68s/175 main, that probably makes a difference
Old 06-10-2014, 02:53 AM   #7931
GSXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Now I know where I've been going wrong. I've never hit the limiter on my xr. Wouldn't have a clue what it's like. I guess that's the downside to a stock engine: when the power tapers off, I've been grabbing another gear. I feel so slow and stupid right now.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:21 AM   #7932
zoro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
I went from 65s/172main to 68s/175 main, that probably makes a difference
Just a guess but could the advanced timing produce the extra engine braking?
Thinking a decelerating engine with extra advance would be harder to turn over than one with retarded timing. I know starter motors don't like turning engines over when the ignition is advanced...my younger days of playing with V8's and being a public menace...
zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:04 AM   #7933
jungle face
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I would think a lightened flywheel would have a greater effect on engine braking.
jungle face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #7934
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungle face View Post
I would think a lightened flywheel would have a greater effect on engine braking.
I would agree - but engine braking has increased without changing the flywheel or timing (ie. The motor is the same as before I added the peripherals). I am wondering if the expansion chamber on this reverse cone race system has anything to do with it? I guess the only way to know for sure is by dyno with and without certain additions.

Either way it's pretty cool
Old 06-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #7935
Funone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
If you've change something in the exhaust, then that will be the reason for more engine braking. As it would have more back pressure with the expansion chamber.
Funone is offline   Reply With Quote