User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2009, 09:08 AM   #16
Trailblazer OP
no cualquier gringo

Oddometer: 246
Huejutla!

In the back county between Tamazunchale and Huejutla, twilight fading to darkness, ladies walking along the side of the road with stuff on their heads. People stirring big pots over open fires in front of their homes. The clouds forming tendrils among the hillsides and valleys. We're in Mexico now! Cold and wet. Always cold and wet. Lots of topes (speed bumps). We motor slowly. Consider staying in Orizatlan but pass on it, press on to the next town.

Huejutla!! (say: way-HOOT-tlah). What a pleasant surprise. We land at La Posada Huejutla with minimal hassle. A traffic cop at the corner allows us to park in a No Parking zone. Clayton continues to spread the wealth. We're elated about our lodgings, getting dry, and the whole town itself. Open air restaurant next door. I eat a huge meal of arrechera (thinly sliced marinated beef) with lots of sides.

The Posada is a rambling place with 4-5 levels. two open court yards, small pool, large tiled porches with fine wooden rockers. Maybe one or two other Mexican families are here as guests. For the most part the place is empty. We have the place to ourselves. We congratulate ourselves on such a great find.
A walk around the plaza in the dark and drizzle, reveals an ancient church (finished around 1540) that was built on a man-made hillock, what originally was an Indian pyramid. The church is closed up but tomorrow is Sunday. Can't wait.

We find Internet and waste an hour. Back at the hotel we set all our wet gear out to dry. High spirits tonight.

Our hotel, in the morning. 450 pesos/night for double (less than $35).

Multilevels, two courtyards

Large tiled porches with fine wooden rockers

The church, the next morning, dominating the plaza

Built in 1540 or so

Trailblazer screwed with this post 06-07-2009 at 01:37 PM
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #17
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Thanks for the link Sr. Otto. I probably wouldnt have found it otherwise. I definately want to check out more of the eastern part of the range the next time I go. Invitation is still open to you, of course.

LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:01 PM   #18
Trailblazer OP
no cualquier gringo

Cry Sunday in Huejutla

Early morning walk to the plaza. What's different? Hummm......Something is different. Oh! It's the SKY! The sky is clearing. It's not raining. Oh, joy.

Sunday morning in Huejutla. No rain.

You can actually see hills in the distance. No fog or low clouds.

xx

xx

xx

xx

xx

Early morning, before the market really got started

Outside the church

Huejutla has a market every Sunday. It's a massive market, sprawling for blocks and blocks. Large sheets of plastic are fixed from building to building, stretching across the streets for shade. The market takes place in the streets but the streets are so filled with vendors and the make-shift plastic cover is so complete, that it is easy to forget you're in a city street. Everything under the sun is being sold: jeans, running shoes, shoelaces, cook ware, blender parts, religious pictures, watch batteries, fruit, vegetables, bread, dead chickens, hair combs, underwear, cd's, baskets, prepared food, on and on and on. We learned about zacahuil (zah-cah-WHEEL) which is like a gigantic tamale some 3 feet long oven cooked for 12 hours in a bundle of banana leaves, and some dish of sweet yucca. Clayton and I wandered down about 4 blocks and back, took a couple of hours, we saw maybe 25% of the place.

At first I was prohibitively shy about using my camera, but once I got started and no one shouted at me or threw pebbles at me and everyone seemed to take it in stride, I enjoyed shooting pics more and more.

This gal sang the prices of her produce

The dead chicken guy

Dig it

Scales and cell phone

Everyone was removing spines from cactus, which is cooked and served as nopales

The little birds, when cued, pick your fortune out of the little box

A campesino in typical garb

Zacahuil, I think

Trailblazer screwed with this post 11-05-2009 at 05:06 PM
Old 03-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #19
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Great photos there Milton. You can tell by the chruch architecture that the Renaissance hasn't quite taken hold of all of Europe yet. The structure is still medieval. The singing of the prices - I used to hear this all the time when I was a kid. This has died down since, and I am glad to read that it is still being done in some places. That's a great picture of the lady singing.

Mike

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:12 AM   #20
Trailblazer OP
no cualquier gringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja
Great photos there Milton. You can tell by the chruch architecture that the Renaissance hasn't quite taken hold of all of Europe yet. The structure is still medieval. The singing of the prices - I used to hear this all the time when I was a kid. This has died down since, and I am glad to read that it is still being done in some places. That's a great picture of the lady singing.

Mike
Thanks for the input, Mike. Medieval is the word.
and, Huejutla market is a good one.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #21
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Huejutla. On the list of places to go.

Me gustaria mas fotos por favor!
Old 03-21-2009, 07:29 AM   #22
Reverse
Armchair Tough

Oddometer: 1,262
Great ride report! makes me want to go down there right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer
Friday 13th of March, 2009
Reynosa to Ciudad Valles, 377 miles
... Just past the Cd. Vitoria airport I loose my right foot peg. The brake foot peg. Stop. Walk back along the hwy and find it! My Harley has forward controls and the bolt that attaches the foot peg to the brake fluid reservoir didn´t just loosen and come off. It sheared in two. (Flash back to when I dropped this bike in a low water crossing 4 years ago. We just bent the foot peg back to place.) I fetch my bag of bolts in the saddle bags and try various configurations, none of merit. Damn!
Had to laugh here. I always assumed riding with a bag of bolts was just another Harley Myth .

Looking forward to the next installment from Mexico!
Old 03-22-2009, 06:57 AM   #23
Anja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Good to see that you are out “exploring” again
Sure wish I was there!!!

I just have to live through you now, not much adventure here.
Hope to win the lottery, so I can come and play…..have to remember to buy a ticket

Vagabundo What is he talking about…you never bring much stuff

Have a fantastic trip

My blog in danish http://www.anja-kiilsgaard.dk/
Anja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #24
Trailblazer OP
no cualquier gringo

Hwy 105

xx

xx

xx

Trailblazer screwed with this post 04-22-2009 at 08:40 PM
Old 03-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #25
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Its nice to see that a American buck still works. I haven't see a H/D that dirty in a long time
Old 03-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #26
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,468
Enjoyed your March 2008 trip. Really enjoying this one. Thanks for allowing me to "ride" along with you. The Hornet rocks!
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #27
Trailblazer OP
no cualquier gringo

Clayton's e-mail

Hey Guys
We left Huejuleta this afternoon after spending most of the morning at the market. It was one of the biggest we have ever seen. They sold everything you could think of and lots of things you couldn't even imagine.

We started our ride on the Hwy 105 a very curvy road further into the mountains. The sun was finally shining and the hill sides were busting out green, it was a gorgeous day! After hundreds of twistys we stopped in a town called Canali. We found a guy who had a car wash in his garage. We gave the bikes a good cleaning. Not because we wanted them to look better, but because my temp. gauge was running at around 130 degrees, and the air temp was only in the 70s, so I felt like all the caked on dirt was creating a thermal issue. We jettisoned about 10 Kilos of dirt off each bike and my temp when down about 40 degrees. We had lunch at a ladies house that doubled as a cafe. Great food! Homemade tortillas, fideo, fried cactus (napoles), black beans, Fresh Avacado, chile relleno, chicken and very warm beer. She kept bringing out food, we stuffed ourselves beyond the limit. It was like having your mother around telling you to clean your plate!
We left there almost comatose, heading for Pachuca, never made it.

We decided to stop in a little town called Molango. We found a great hotel, very clean room with shower and TV for $17.00. Doc was all over that! I bought a six pack of Tecate for about $3.00 started to drink one, when Doc decided we need to put the bikes up for the night. I put the six pack down by the curb next to the hotel and drove the bike in the secured area. By the time I returned - 3 minutes - some friggin dude stole my beer! Now this is getting expensive! We then found a local cevezeria, (beer joint), where I promptly got picked up by a gay vaquero. Doc took pictures... my life is ruined! We found a Cyber Cafe after that..

I am still looking over my shoulder for my new friend.

Tomorrow, more mountains, Pachuca and beyond. More to come!
Adios Amigos!
Clayton

Trailblazer screwed with this post 03-26-2009 at 03:15 PM
Old 03-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #28
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Milton/Clayton,

Great pics of 105! Those greens are really coming through. Yeah I was getting worried about all that mud on your air-cooled engines. I generally look for a hose just to rinse off the cylinders when the dirt piles up. I'm enjoying the travelogue

Mike

P.S. Answered your PM request. Have fun!

Pedro Navaja screwed with this post 03-22-2009 at 12:05 PM
Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #29
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,693
Thanks for the fantastic report and pics.. I really enjoy Mexico ride reports, always learning and seeing something new

Old 03-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #30
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Milton is my hero!