ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
vfroger OP
Not lost, just misguided

Oddometer: 114
Question XM Navweather and Garmin 478

I called XM and added the Navweather feature to my existing XM subscription for $3.99/month, even paid for 3 years worth. Set up the unit outside with clear sky and waited for new service to activate. Never did. Called, signal resent, tried again (and again and again and again....).

Numerous calls with different suggestions from XM and WxWorx. Called Garmin. Navweather? Never heard of it. Not compatible with 478. XM said it was and Garmin says it isn't. I guess Garmin should know.

Any experience here? I got my money refunded as I gave it up.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Why would Garmin tell you it wasn't compatible with Nav Weather? It has the exact same settings as the 376C as far as weather is concerned. I haven't been able to test it out yet, but I bought a 478 to replace my 376c and fully plan on using the weather feature on it.

BTW, what weather package did you have? If you only signed up for the $3.99/mo XM radio, that doesn't include the weather. I think the cheapest weather one they have is a $10/month which is separate from the XM radio part. The one that provides you with the nexrad radio is about $30/month. Infact, at XM you have to talk to a different group to actually get it turned on.

And as far as Garmin telling you it would work with the 478? I think you were talking to someone that didn't know their head from a hole in the ground.

Right now I have my XM weather turned to (end of season) or I would go test my 478, but I'm fully expecting it to work when I turn it back on. I do have my XM radio part currently turned on, and thats working fine on the 478.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

BTW, here are the Marine weather packages - http://www.xmwxweather.com/marine/da...e-pricing.html

I've had each one of those at one time or another.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
vfroger OP
Not lost, just misguided

The weather service that I subscribed to was this:
http://www.xmradio.com/navweather/pricing.xmc

As you can see, it's something entirely different from the marine weather packages. Garmin said it's not compatible with the 478. I believe them as I tried it although XM says it is.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfroger
The weather service that I subscribed to was this:
http://www.xmradio.com/navweather/pricing.xmc

As you can see, it's something entirely different from the marine weather packages. Garmin said it's not compatible with the 478. I believe them as I tried it although XM says it is.
I believe that weather package (XM NavWeather) you subscribed to is for basic weather you find on say the Zumo and non chart plotter GPS's. Therefore, perhaps Garmin was correct saying yours wasn't compatible with the 478? XM's web pages is so vague on what is what and I doubt they really know what GPS actually supports what.

If you want weather on the 478, you should look at the packages I linked. Thats the type of weather the chartplotters support.

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 03-15-2009 at 12:30 PM
Old 03-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

This is the type of weather that the X76/X78 GPS's support which as you can see is much more involved then basic forecasts you can get on say the Zumo.

For me personally, having the Nexrad radar coverage and county storm warnings has been very helpful in many of my trips. Last year, when Sarah and I were riding south through the midwest, Hurricane Gustav was heading north. It was so great to be able to see where the hurricane and outer bands were going so we could avoid them. The storm warnings have also saved my butt when I'd be riding along and see a storm warning pop up and realize there was a big super cell closing in on us fast.

http://www.xmwxweather.com/xmwx-data...olution-nexrad
Old 03-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
vfroger OP
Not lost, just misguided

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning

Right now I have my XM weather turned to (end of season) or I would go test my 478, but I'm fully expecting it to work when I turn it back on. I do have my XM radio part currently turned on, and thats working fine on the 478.
How does that work? I've known for quite some time that the $30/mo pkg with NEXRAD exists, but I've been TOO cheap to turn it on. I'd love to just use it for a few months a year.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfroger
How does that work? I've known for quite some time that the $30/mo pkg with NEXRAD exists, but I've been TOO cheap to turn it on. I'd love to just use it for a few months a year.
I called to turn it off towards the end of last year when I knew I wouldn't be using it much and the guy told me they could set it to "end of season" so that effectively turns it off, but I could just call up at any time to have it turned back on.

I called about a month ago and had the XM radio turned back on, but left the XM weather off. I'll probably be turning it on this next week, as we have a trip coming up in April. Another thing I did was go back and forth between say the $30/mo package and the $10/mo basic weather package to save money.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:18 AM   #9
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,858
Quote:
I called to turn it off towards the end of last year when I knew I wouldn't be using it much and the guy told me they could set it to "end of season" so that effectively turns it off, but I could just call up at any time to have it turned back on.
Good luck next time. Silly customer service person told me I could not.

So I cancelled both XM and weather subscriptions and just left the car on. I'll be bouncing the subscription back and forth between the car and GPS. They just lost $40 a month.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave

So I cancelled both XM and weather subscriptions and just left the car on. I'll be bouncing the subscription back and forth between the car and GPS. They just lost $40 a month.
That sucks. Ever since XM & Sirius merged, they really have been doing some stupid stuff. I really enjoy having sat radio, but if they keep up some of this nonsense, I'll be right there with you. If I get that this year, I might be forced to do the same thing.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
This is the type of weather that the X76/X78 GPS's support which as you can see is much more involved then basic forecasts you can get on say the Zumo.

For me personally, having the Nexrad radar coverage and county storm warnings has been very helpful in many of my trips. Last year, when Sarah and I were riding south through the midwest, Hurricane Gustav was heading north. It was so great to be able to see where the hurricane and outer bands were going so we could avoid them. The storm warnings have also saved my butt when I'd be riding along and see a storm warning pop up and realize there was a big super cell closing in on us fast.

http://www.xmwxweather.com/xmwx-data...olution-nexrad
Yep. He's right on both points.

That Nexrad radar coverage has saved my bacon on a couple of different occasions.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #12
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,888
I had exactly the same thing happen with my 478. XM was saying a weather package was compatible, and Garmin said it wasn't.

It didn't work, so I got my $ back.

Poor communication between the companies.
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #13
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
I'm really thinking about getting 478 and using the weather feature but would like to actually see it work first! It seems that there are mixed reviews about this weather feature, but dang! , if this works, it's gotta be the cat's meow, right? I can picture this feature working, but ....... is it going to be what I think? 30 to 50 bucks a month for this service is a bit steep, but I can see where it would surely come in handy! I want to see this in action, anyone going to mexico anytime soon with one? drop by south padre island and I'll put you up for a few days as you are heading either direction, or both.
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #14
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave

I've done it the last three years with no issues. Then again, I use it mainly on my boat, which is what it is intended for. Turn it on in mid April at the start of boating season, back off at the end of October. Never had an issue with them.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #15
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser
I've done it the last three years with no issues. Then again, I use it mainly on my boat, which is what it is intended for. Turn it on in mid April at the start of boating season, back off at the end of October. Never had an issue with them.
ImaPoser, do you use the sonar feature with the 478?
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote