Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 131 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #2236
Nihon Newbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto View Post
The frame is super cool but that chain tensioner kills it for me
That's funny...I like it even more because of that little thing. I bet it makes wheel swaps easier, not having to hold so much tension as you do with fixies.
Nihon Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:30 AM   #2237
PaulS
Österreicher

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihon Newbie View Post
That's funny...I like it even more because of that little thing. I bet it makes wheel swaps easier, not having to hold so much tension as you do with fixies.
correct, and with the tensioner mounted I'm running a 18t cog now and can easily swap it to a 16t.
What is left for the build is the rear brake. I had to order a longer rear brake line because all the cables run internally and the one I had was too short.
This is the first carbon bike I ever rode and I'm amazed how much different the ride is compared to my the Niner aluminium bike I've been using for the last 3 years.
I may put on a suspension fork and a 10 speed casette and take it off road this summer.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:04 AM   #2238
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
correct, and with the tensioner mounted I'm running a 18t cog now and can easily swap it to a 16t.
What is left for the build is the rear brake. I had to order a longer rear brake line because all the cables run internally and the one I had was too short.
This is the first carbon bike I ever rode and I'm amazed how much different the ride is compared to my the Niner aluminium bike I've been using for the last 3 years.
I may put on a suspension fork and a 10 speed casette and take it off road this summer.
I don't get why singulators get a bad wrap. It's purely a functional adapter.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #2239
Lil Earle
Sweatin, not scared

Oddometer: 105
It is a 63cm frame. It fits just fine. I cleaned it up and put new tires, tubes and brake pads. It will be my Sunday morning cruiser on the local bike paths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
pretty, but dang! judging by the looks of it, you and your friend are both, what, about 6'5"?

original rubber?! must be because of that fancy double kickstand,...
throw that rotten old rubber stuff away before you try riding it and it puts you on the ground. (hopefully it's got 700C rims, and not 27",...)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #2240
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
that Raleigh was never *that* nice a bike that it's worth hermetically sealing.
ride it!
Oh, definitely ride it.....just not into the ground. Now, don't you be laughing at my Raleigh Reliant I'm lightly restoring.

Its aluminum components will look like this Schwinn hub I restored.

Sample lever.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #2241
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,840
I'm testing out a set of Nitto Bullmoose bars on the QuickBeam. It's pretty fun being even more upright on the bike, and the wide sweep of the bars makes feel like a king, out surveying the countryside.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #2242
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,207
Quote:
I guess I don't understand your comment that I initially responded to. You said you admired the simplicity. A chain tensioner detracts from that.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #2243
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Quote:
This might be one of the best looking bikes I've ever seen online. Great simplicity, and elegance of design!
Nowhere near enough spokes on those wheels, and the chain tensioner is a silly thing to add, when using proper track forks would have been correct for a single-speed.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #2244
Nihon Newbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Nowhere near enough spokes on those wheels, and the chain tensioner is a silly thing to add, when using proper track forks would have been correct for a single-speed.
Quote:
I guess I don't understand your comment that I initially responded to. You said you admired the simplicity. A chain tensioner detracts from that.
Nope, I still mean that I like the simple look of it, but I guess I didn't mean to imply that it was the model of austerity. I ride a 18 spd Tarmac, with external cable routing, regular rim brakes, a bottle cage, tail bag, visible derailleurs, etc...So I just meant "simple" by comparison to the vast majority of road bikes, like my own, which is my main area of experience.

That little basic tensioner seemed, to me, an elegant solution to accommodating various cog sizes without altering wheelbase too much, or complicating wheel swaps too much. The lack of decals gives the bike a stealth look to it, and the internal cable routing maintains the clean lines of the frame. So..."simple," as opposed to "simplest."

I'll admit the chunky fork looks a little overkill.
Nihon Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #2245
Andrew
Optimus Primer

See ya in SLO, or come to Parkfield for lunch next time
Old 02-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #2246
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Nowhere near enough spokes on those wheels
If you're going offroad, then yes, 24 spokes is pretty sparse. But if it's just a road cruiser, it's not a big deal.

Quote:
, and the chain tensioner is a silly thing to add, when using proper track forks would have been correct for a single-speed.

maybe I need an education here, bcs I'm confused. If you liked that particular frame, and wanted to singulate it, what option do you have that avoids the tensioner? It's got dropouts, period. The frame is distinct, no doubt.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #2247
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,115
Quote:
Those are vertical dropouts; not horizontal. With no eccentric BB, what do you propose?

Quote:
You do realize that's a MTB frameset, right?

I think it's a totally cool bike. I don't see why people feel the need to criticize what others are building.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #2248
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Those are vertical dropouts; not horizontal. With no eccentric BB, what do you propose?

I think it's a totally cool bike. I don't see why people feel the need to criticize what others are building.
+1...exactly my thoughts.

Again...I don't get why people are bent over the singulator. I've seen people try to fabricate other kinds of fixes like converting the dropouts to horizontal w/ bolt-ons...but those end up looking even sillier, and are less functional. The singlulator is absolutely the definition of simplicity and elegance here, giving adequate chain wrap, and versatility when it comes to swapping out the wheel, or changing up the # of teeth.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 07:22 AM
Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #2249
PaulS
Österreicher

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

the initial purpose was to use it as a commuter bike and I think it turned out pretty good. It should be functional, solid and simple -- which it is. I think the singulator is the only option for vertical dropout besides having an eccentric BB.
The plan is that I eventually put on a 10 speed and will post a picture for the chain tensioner haters...
In addition, this is MY project and I did post it here to contribute to the "Show me your bicycle" thread.
BTW, did I mention that it rides really nice...
Old 02-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #2250
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
maybe I need an education here, bcs I'm confused. If you liked that particular frame, and wanted to singulate it, what option do you have that avoids the tensioner? It's got dropouts, period. The frame is distinct, no doubt.
My bad, you're right - the tensioner gets the job done when there are vertical dropouts and no eccentric bottom bracket. Another option might have been a Phil or White Industries eccentric axle, to get enough adjustability for proper chain tension. Or one could go all Ricky-hacky and file some flats on the axle, to gain some room for adjustment, or even further - shorten the axles and just let the quick-release bolt slide around in the dropout.

Sheldon laid out the basic options pretty well:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: