♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
Killer Job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
+1. That looks awesome!
Thanks fellas, I should have momma's cruiser buttoned up this afternoon.

Love that black Sporty you did up Terrytori.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #2732
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Well, here she is all finished. Picked up this '63 Schwinn Hornet for $75 bucks off of Craigslist and decided to build momma a pub crawler for the neighborhood. SR 3 speed hub with internal drum brakes front and rear. This bike really, really rolls nice. My plan was to powder the frame pink but momma says she likes the original patina to the frame so it stays as is. I like it too.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #2733
terry.mc
Stop ruining my vacation

Oddometer: 5,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
Wow.

What do you think you have in it all in (If you don't mind that kind of question)

And why the new front fork? Does the new front hub require it or??

Really sharp looking!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #2734
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.mc View Post
Wow.

What do you think you have in it all in (If you don't mind that kind of question)

Really sharp looking!
Yes, well done. (again!)

Query: did you use a threaded to threadless adapter for the stem? I have an old MTB that I single-speeded a while back and am thinking about giving it the faux-BMX/cruiser treatment.

Oops, nevermind. Looks like a threaded Landing Gear fork.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #2735
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
Wow.

Really sharp looking!
Thanks.

I gotta tell ya, these projects are just as much fun sourcing parts and making an image in my head come to fruition as they are riding, so pricing really dosen't eneter into the equation. I'm sure something similar could be done much cheaper (hell the seat was almost $200 ) but these are bikes that will be in the family for a long, long, time. Without putting together a parts list, I'd say in the $500 range.

Maybe later I'll actually put a parts list together and see what I have into it.

Quote:

And why the new front fork?
EDIT - Was going after the retro BMX/Cruiser look, plus while those forks look cool, they kinda handle a little shitty. I'll build something with it at some point.

HOT DAMN! screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 02:03 PM
HOT DAMN! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #2736
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Yes, well done. (again!)

Query: did you use a threaded to threadless adapter for the stem? I have an old MTB that I single-speeded a while back and am thinking about giving it the faux-BMX/cruiser treatment.

Oops, nevermind. Looks like a threaded Landing Gear fork.
You are correct Ned, Landing Gear makes both, but this one is a threaded fork with a Profile quill neck.

I did see these during my parts sourcing research.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #2737
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,261
We almost got run over (two inches to spare) three weeks ago by a stupid lady on her cell phone when she perform a left turn right in front of us, the theory is that she did see me (strobe lights front and back) but I did not realize we where on a tandem so miscalculate the space, in any case we are a little hesitant of "long" bikes at the moment at least when riding on the street (even on designated bike paths)

To bad since the tandem is really fun to ride the kiddolinna around.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #2738
terry.mc
Stop ruining my vacation

Oddometer: 5,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
Thanks.

I gotta tell ya, these projects are just as much fun sourcing parts and making an image in my head come to fruition as they are riding, so pricing really dosen't eneter into the equation.
That's really cool. The sourcing parts is what gives me an nightmare. I can never seem to get that right.

Again, nice work!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #2739
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 541
FWIW Ratrodbikes build off #8 is in progress here:

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/

Not too late to jump in...
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #2740
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,969
You don't always need a Fat Bike to ride on the beach.

But I still want one.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #2741
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,268
Awesome photography.
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #2742
kbasa OP
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,370
My 2010 Colnago Ace. I've got about 3K on this bicycle now, and have put about 1500 miles on this year. Right now, I'm training for Death Ride, so it's getting a workout. For the last couple months, I've been riding a century every Saturday and generally commute home 30 miles on Tuesdays. Earlier in training, I was riding 50 -60 on Saturdays, then riding home twice a week.

Campy Veloce with a Centaur 12-30 cassette, FSA crankset, etc. I love this bike. It rides nicely, but sends me plenty of information about road surfaces, etc. I went to buy a Cervelo and loved riding it, but it felt a little numb. When I got back to the shop, they had this bike on sale, so I took it for a ride. It reminds me of my BMW car, if it was any more sporting, it wouldn't be as comfortable, if it was any more comfortable, it wouldn't be as sporting. It's a really nice balance between the two. I put 113 miles on this bike last Saturday and climbed 11K feet and the only discomfort I had was my ass, which is to be expected.

Riding home a couple weeks ago.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #2743
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,660
pretty bike. always had a weak spot for Ernestos machines, and still kinda' do, even if they're not what they were. would still like one of those Pista Masters, if anyone was wondering what to buy me for my birthday,...

i'm betting you might not be able to put a 25C through that fork, but have you considered fitting a 25 on the rear to help smooth things out a bit? i don't remember how you're built, for some of us more GS-sized guys have found using that slightly larger tire to have some nice benefits, with few (if any) discernible drawbacks, even if only on the rear. (pun not intended.)
back in the day, it wasn't uncommon to run a larger rear tire especially during the of season where roads were more likely to be littered be trees or runoff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
My 2010 Colnago Ace.

I love this bike. It rides nicely, but sends me plenty of information about road surfaces, etc.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #2744
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 7,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
My 2010 Colnago Ace. I've got about 3K on this bicycle now, and have put about 1500 miles on this year. Right now, I'm training for Death Ride, so it's getting a workout. For the last couple months, I've been riding a century every Saturday and generally commute home 30 miles on Tuesdays. Earlier in training, I was riding 50 -60 on Saturdays, then riding home twice a week.

Campy Veloce with a Centaur 12-30 cassette, FSA crankset, etc. I love this bike. It rides nicely, but sends me plenty of information about road surfaces, etc. I went to buy a Cervelo and loved riding it, but it felt a little numb. When I got back to the shop, they had this bike on sale, so I took it for a ride. It reminds me of my BMW car, if it was any more sporting, it wouldn't be as comfortable, if it was any more comfortable, it wouldn't be as sporting. It's a really nice balance between the two. I put 113 miles on this bike last Saturday and climbed 11K feet and the only discomfort I had was my ass, which is to be expected.

Riding home a couple weeks ago.
Nice bike and nice picture too. I have been eyeing a couple of Colnago's as a next bike (next year). I commute on a steel framed Marin and it's a nice ride especially with load (computer, clothes, etc.) but am thinking about a more sport oriented bike for weekends and training rides.

I decided that after a decade of neglecting myself, and seeing that I was knocking on the door to 40 in a few years, I HAD to get off my lazy butt in 2011 and bought the Marin. I went from basically zero hard miles in ten years to 1250mi last year. This year my goal is 2500. Since I'm up to 100-125 a week on the commute alone, this should be pretty do-able even with a long summer holiday. All I can say is that the difference I feel in a year is nothing short of amazing. I went from struggling to do the commute twice a week, and having to walk up a few nasty hills to running 5 a week and not even thinking of dismounting unless I stop to talk to someone I know. In the meantime my time to work went from a measly 1:20 minutes to as little as 0:50.20 just last week. My goal is a 5000 mile year when I turn 40 (two years from now).

Can I ask...when you run a 113 mile ride, how long does it take you? I'm just trying to gain an idea of what sort of pace you fellows maintain. I see a lot of serious road riders on my commute and they're hauling ass. I also notice that their crankset and cassettes are sized WAY differently from my Marin, which has almost a more "mountain bike" gearing with a lot more on the low end. Currently I average around 15mph through town which, given the traffic,. construction, cruiser bikes, and pedestrians is probably as fast as I feel safe with. But on weekends I can get out and put up some better numbers.

Anyway, your story about training (and some others here) was a real inspiration to me and I wanted to tell you thanks.

Good luck on your Death Ride!

FinlandThumper screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 01:36 AM
FinlandThumper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #2745
kbasa OP
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
pretty bike. always had a weak spot for Ernestos machines, and still kinda' do, even if they're not what they were. would still like one of those Pista Masters, if anyone was wondering what to buy me for my birthday,...

i'm betting you might not be able to put a 25C through that fork, but have you considered fitting a 25 on the rear to help smooth things out a bit? i don't remember how you're built, for some of us more GS-sized guys have found using that slightly larger tire to have some nice benefits, with few (if any) discernible drawbacks, even if only on the rear. (pun not intended.)
back in the day, it wasn't uncommon to run a larger rear tire especially during the of season where roads were more likely to be littered be trees or runoff...
Thanks! I'm running about 190 now on a 6' frame, so the 23s are working really well for me. I've started running them at 100psi instead of 110, which has made it really, really comfortable and less likely to get twitchy on cratered pavement.

My training program has worked extensively on glutes, so I've got more of a cushion to sit on these days.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: