User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
Resorieno OP
DeeperKindOfSlumber

Oddometer: 23
Heel/toe shifter for DL1000

Due to an injury on my achilles tendon on my left foot, I'm having increased pain when I upshift. This problem will not heal and may get worse; the only "fix" is surgery with AT LEAST 6 months of recovery time.

So I'm looking for solutions, preferably one that doesn't include buying another bike.

I've already searched for this (heel/toe shifter); it doesn't appear that any aftermarket company makes anything like this. In fact, I didn't think I'd have any success since our bikes don't have floorboards for this type of accessory.

I'm looking at air shifters. They may be a solution. But it seems like a heel/toe would be better and less expensive. Or will I need to look for a good welder/fabricator in Orlando?

Thanks for your help in advance. :)

NOTE: I've also posted this up at Stromtrooper.com. It's always good to cover your bases, though. :)
Resorieno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,577
I haven't seen such a thing, but it doesn't sound to hard to fabricate. A good welder should be able to come up with something.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:12 AM   #3
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Any way to mount a brake pedal from the rt side over on the left shift lever side?
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,604
I used to see bolt on ones that worked with the stock shifter. Only saw them on ancient UJM's and AMF era HD's. Never seen a new one but it doesn't look to hard to fab up. A plate to mount to the stock shifter, maybe sandwiching the shifter between two plates so you wouldn't have to drill and weaken the stock lever. Off the outer plate a bent arm to clear the footpeg running back to the heel portion.
The big problem with heel toe shifters is the ability to overexert pressure with your heel thereby damaging transmission parts. A travel stop might be a good idea. A nut welded vertically at the right location of the arm so a bolt running through it would hit the footpeg maybe. the bolt could be adjusted to limit the movement.
It's pretty clear in my mind how I could build one but it might not have come across as well in the words.
wos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,771
Where are you at... Ill look at mine in the morning and see what ideas I come up with.

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
Ridir Frith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Lose all that llinkage and put a shifter from a dr 650 on it and then weld another one to it aimed backwards, might work.

V-STROM 1K
KLR 650 2007
Ridir Frith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridir Frith
Lose all that llinkage and put a shifter from a dr 650 on it and then weld another one to it aimed backwards, might work.
That's what I was thinking.
I don't think it would be very hard to do.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
Flint
n00b

Oddometer: 5
hmmmmmm......

I have a nice one from Rattlebars on my Gold Wing but I think they went out of bidness? The other choice would be check on Kuryakyn and see if their heel and tow could be adapted a bit and made to work on a Vee? I wouldn't mind having one on my bike either. The one on my wing is mounted over a set of stock footpegs. I had running boards for a while but the wing is so low that they were dragging every where I went so I went back to stock pegs and the shifter.

Flint
Old 03-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridir Frith

That would require taking your foot completely off the peg and moving uit forward to shift, not something Id want to have to do for every shift.

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheedle
That would require taking your foot completely off the peg and moving uit forward to shift, not something Id want to have to do for every shift.
I'm pretty sure he means so that you could rest your heel on one peg, and the ball/toes on the other.