User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
unparagoned316 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Muddy backroads in Kansas

This is my second official ride report that I have shared with you FF's. The first was in June when I attended the Flint Hills Stampede in Council Grove. I hadnt been on any decent rides due to work, bike maintenance issues, etc, but was hell bent to ride today!

I had originally planned to travel from Mulvane here in Sedgwick county to Moline in Elk County with a stop in Cambridge. I wanted to do this solely on back roads, and then slab it on the way home. As some of you know, this area got some pretty heavy rainfall in the last couple of days and in some places it was upwards of 4 inches. So I didnt end up making it that far. I did end up tooling around some nasty and muddy roads in Sumner and Butler counties though. Traveled around 80 miles but it took me about 4 hours to do it in! Heres some pics of my short adventure:

The girlfriend took this of me as I was getting ready to head out from my house in Wichita. It was drizzling at the time and I had no rain gear but I was determined to ride! Being wet and muddy and miserable sounds like an adventure to me!

I headed out on 22nd Rd out of Mulvane. The roads are wet, but manageable.

When I got to 42nd Rd, things started to change.

My first real challenge of the day. This mud ran approx 200 yards long around a bend in the river. I dont see how they can call this thing a road! This is a pic looking back the way that I came.

Great view of the swollen Walnut River though.

These Mefo tires sure dont like the mud!

I finally got past that nasty stuff and took a rest on this bridge over the Walnut River. Still on 42nd Rd just east of Hwy 77.

This is 121st Rd between 42nd Rd and 52nd Rd. Starting to really rain now. The temps were moderate enough that I didnt get cold at all though.

When I got to Route 1, my helmet was fogging up so much that I decided to call it quits at this point. Face shield went up and I pointed it towards home. However, while cruising westbound on Route 2 I came upon a road that had a minimum maintenance sign. Bingo! I couldnt pass this up, that sign alone promised adventure! And thats what I got! It turned out to be 101st Rd and I took that North. Here is what greeted me:

Red mud! Imagine that! I was having fun now! But it was short lived. The next section proved to be most difficult. In the second pic I have completed the section and am looking back up the road. Look at the really nasty section on the left almost to the top of the hill and thats where I dumped the bike.

I was in 1st gear, duck walking the bike through that soup when the front tire washed out, throwing me right and almost low siding the bike. I got her stopped but the extreme lean angle and lack of traction on my boots forced us both down. I was able to get it right back up though and continued onward. This was my reward:

Riding on further, I pulled into a small cemetery. Not many headstones out there, and most of them were really old.

Still cruising north on 101st Rd and damn it sure is green out here!

If you go far enough north you will run into an oil field full of these guys. Cruising this oil field was a blast!

I eventually made my way back to Hwy 77 and then took 230th St over to Diamond Rd. There is a neat old bridge back here.

By this point I am worn out from struggling in the mud for a few hours so I just took the country roads west until I hit Rock Rd and headed for home. Thanks for checking out my ride report!
Old 08-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
I miss KS, not the mud though

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,384
Nice RR. I enjoy riding KS. Most don't have a clue how good the riding can be.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,388
Looks like you made the most out of the situation! Nice RR & pics.

Todd Snider
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,517
Thanks for sharing. There's 3 of us on KLX250's that have looked for that old bridge over the Walnut and didn't find it. We'd for sure tackle this same route with you pretty much any weekend you'd like to have another go at it. Without quite so much mud . This bridrge looks a lot like one of your pics, it's south of Otis Creek Res. and north of 54.

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy
Looks like you made the most out of the situation! Nice RR & pics.
What he said...

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #7
unparagoned316 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake
There's 3 of us on KLX250's that have looked for that old bridge over the Walnut and didn't find it. We'd for sure tackle this same route with you pretty much any weekend you'd like to have another go at it.
That bridge is on 101st Rd just North of 22nd Rd in Cowley County. It is just east of the Hwy 77 and Route 2 intersection. Take Route 2 from Hwy 77 eastbound and then head North on 101st Rd from there. But I would love to meet up with you guys and try out the route in some dryer weather. It wont take very long when its dry though, so we may just have to explore some new areas while we are out there! Just send me a PM sometime, and we can schedule a date and time.

And thanks to everyone who wrote comments. I appreciate you all taking the time to read my report!
Old 08-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Man, you were just asking for it going through all that mud.... and with slicks too!

Nice pics. Looks like a messy good time!
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #9
safetywire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Unparagon,

Thanks for some great pictures an great ride report! You take it careful out there on that mud riding by yourself... Not sure I'd have tried it alone myself. Real easy to get real stuck out there in the middle of nowhere.

Have your ever tried Pirelli MT21 tires? I run those on my DRZ400 and LOVE them. A lot of Wichita folks run those Mefo tires like you do but the MT21 is real good also.

Question - were you blasting through the mud and powering through throwing up a big roost of dirt or picking your way through it?
safetywire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:53 PM   #10
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,669
That's some serious mud!! Thanks for the report and pics
Old 08-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #11
unparagoned316 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granitesun
Unparagon,

Thanks for some great pictures an great ride report! You take it careful out there on that mud riding by yourself... Not sure I'd have tried it alone myself. Real easy to get real stuck out there in the middle of nowhere.

Have your ever tried Pirelli MT21 tires? I run those on my DRZ400 and LOVE them. A lot of Wichita folks run those Mefo tires like you do but the MT21 is real good also.

Question - were you blasting through the mud and powering through throwing up a big roost of dirt or picking your way through it?
Granitesun,

I have not tried the MT21 tires. These tires came with the bike and are still basically brand new. So Im going to continue using them until it warrants changing them. After they wear down, I want to get some more agressive tires, and I was thinking D606 or something similar. Will look into the MT21s though! And I was not roosting through the mud, I was picking my way through it all simply because I was alone. If I were with someone else, it would be a different story! But I was trying to play it smart and reduce the chances of being stuck or injured out there with noone to help me.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #12
deadbird
Very Large Bird

Oddometer: 149
That's some greasy mud.
Keep it between the ditches.
-Deadbird
deadbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:44 AM   #13
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Not me, but on that ride I had the Michelin Baja tires and I felt that they did much better in the Kansas mud than the MT-21 just my .02

Fun fun fun!

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:56 AM   #14
unparagoned316 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow, great pics Gagnaou! Looks like fun!
Old 03-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #15
Keytime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Nice thread. Found it with a "kansas" search today. Been lurking here for a long time, but just recently picked up a '01 Triumph Tiger and joined.

As for bridges, here's a cool site some may already know about: http://bridgehunter.com/
Keytime is offline   Reply With Quote