Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #46
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,022
Made it back to LV today (where I'll be for the next few days before heading back to the northern rain and snow).

Had an absolutely f*cking fantastic time!!! You guys now how to throw a hell of a party and ride!

I probably won't have access to my pics until later in the week (little problem with my camera that fell out of by tailbag Sat when I forgot to zip it up) so I'll post my ride report towards the end of the week. Let me say thanks to all for the great time, and the hospitality!!!

Thanks to Joel and everyone else involved with organizing this great event!

Thanks to DennaB and his buddy who I met at Las Vegas BMW on Thursday, and rode with them to Furnace Creek (via Greenwater Valley Rd), before continuing on to Panamint Springs!

Thanks to NoBrakes, and the rest of the guys that let me ride along with them on Friday (Nathan, Dan, and Rob - sorry if I got the names wrong). We had a hell of a good time riding Saline Valley Rd, Hunter Mountain, Teakettle Junction, Racetrack, and Lippincott!

Thanks to Vern for being a good roommate, introducing me around, and being a great riding partner!

Thanks to TravelToad, Joel, Vern, Jason, Jeff, and Jim who I started out with on the Sat ride! In the end, it was Vern and I riding back to Panamint Springs in the dark - some of you know the story, some will have to wait until I expand further (or you fill in some gaps in the stories by others and a little bit below).

Muchos Gracias to the three amigos (Dave, Jim, and Joe from SF) . When my front cast wheel ended up looking like spaghetti half way up Steel Pass on Sat, they pitched in like a Formula 1 pit crew to get me going again - first pounding my wheel back into shape, and then installing one of Dave's spare tubes. Little did we know at the time, that my good fortune would turn into total crap for them - four more flats between Dave and Joe (after I already had one of Dave's spare tubes working perfectly in my crunched front wheel). You guys saved my ass - but I feel sorry for the misfortune that seemed to run rampant after that.

And thanks to all others that I met - again I can just say that your a fantastic bunch of FF's that know how to have a great time!

The tally:
Broken left rear turn signal cover - $5
Broken mirror - $25
New SPOKED wheels from Woody's to replace my f*cking cast wheels - $2000
Death Valley Adventure and a bunch of new friends - PRICELESS

Damn - can't wait until I can do it again...
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:15 PM   #47
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,712
chloride cliffs

lots of nice pics you guys are bringing on so far...

have to borrow some from dsm8 to get my story going...

once we hit the chloride turn off, off we go and dust clouds everywhere

hugo and sito

nice, easy but fun trail

dang, who said it was easy...

it's a nOObs ride...what else can't go wrong?.........

i h8 the ball at the end of the lever anyway..

sito looks good here

wotevah keeping the rubber side down

stu impressed us riding the gsa

the loyal sweep...thanks dsm8

rsc450 first time on dirt on a 990S

one of the roads leading to chloride city

the only break we had that morning

riding out of the park; the nOObs don't make dust...

eggroll

hugo

sito

stu

end of chloride

moving on to titus
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:17 PM   #48
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,227
A funny thing(s) happend on the way to Titus Canyon

As TT indicated it all started well enough, we arrived in camp and met up with TT, Big John and KLR Woody and were wisked off for our first ride in DV. Made our way across the valley to where Jasons KLR came to a unscheduled stop. Dealt with a grungy clutch cable and got going again. We were on the way around a sweeping curve, TT on the point with me and Jason following. Without warning, TT's rear wheel steps out to the right hard. This is a big WTF moment. TT's list of choices were (A) low side and body work, (B) high side and dental work (C) aim for the gravel and send the suit to the cleaners or (D) pull off a cool save and bring it in for a safe stop. Aaron went for (D) leaving me watching and almost going to the cleaners on his behalf. We stopped and found a very flat tire.
Further investigation and some cuss words found this............

A zillion miles of desert and TT finds the only nail. The repairs ensue!

A half circle hole about the size of a dime made a instant dump of air, nearly causing its own instant dump of 950.

Patched

Pumped

Pumped extra special!

Got it all back together and reasoned it was getting late so we headed back to PS. Got as far as the sand dunes and the patch pooped.

Once again......sing along if you like.

Pulled the wheel again, swap in a 21" tube, mounted up and made it back to PS just a few minutes past beer:thirty. 85 five miles of tire changin' mayhem it was.

This was Jasons (my brother) first outing on slab. He did great and I detected the appropriate amount of inside helmet giggling. He had a blast. Welcome aboard brudder!

Got back and started to think about the next day and Saline Valley.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:25 PM   #49
wotevah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Saturday I went with DannyG, Amit and Rebarman to Dante's View. From there you can see both Badwater at -180 feet and the snowy Telescope Peak at over 11,000 feet.

Then we continued down Furnace Creek Wash Rd towards Shoshone, with a quick ride up some side roads looking for the abandoned mines. We couldn't find them, stopped for a short break only to find out that we have been resting right next to one.

This dusty road has claimed its toll. None of us was spared of the mandatory dirt closeup check.

Rebarman action shot on Furnace Creek Wash Rd:

Then we ate lunch at Furnace Creek and split up. I went to take another look at Zabriskie point:

Then rode back towards stovepipe and waited for the sunset at the dunes, which was a "meh":

Rode into camp after dark, campfire was ready, hotdogs were done.

wotevah screwed with this post 03-16-2009 at 11:14 PM
wotevah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:50 PM   #50
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,306
did you have one with out Joel ,so i can see the bags for my friends o giant loop ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by wotevah

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #51
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Big bikes on DV dirt roads. Good report, guys.

Big bikes on DV dirt roads. Good report, guys.

And check out the semi street tires on some of them.

Suz
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:13 PM   #52
BigJohnBundy
Hav-A-Tampa

Oddometer: 720
Death Valley is not Dead...

It is alive and hungry!!

Left the house at 6 am.. Friday morning.. Did anyone here notice that it was March 13th?

Just a little ride over to Death Valley. I’ll make it in time for a nice leisurely tour around Chloride and Titus today with a few friends….

I stop for me typical good luck fuel refill on the corner of interstate 15 and route 66. “this is gonna be a great trip” HEY… Woot? The bike don’t start.. Nobody for a jump. Oh wait, I have AAA.. “you guys send a truck for to Jump my bike so I can ride to a shop and get a new battery?” ..” No? you say that when you do that, the bikes explode?” Hmmm, never heard of that before unless you are an uneducated mechanic studied in the field.. I say fine; send a truck to haul my ass 5 miles to the nearest Honda dealer please. The truck gets here and the driver says to me. "Sure we can Jump you" SWEET!
I call Me wife and tell her of the good news that I will be purchasing a new battery because I am stuck here in Rancho Cucamunga. She says something like. “maybe its a sign you shouldn’t go”, Wimins what a worry they can be.. I tell her don’t worry, “I’m an ADVenture Rider now”! I’ll call when I get to Death Valley. (who can figure out what happens with that small and insignificant statement?).

One picture to set the mood….
Old 03-16-2009, 11:19 PM   #53
wotevah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick
did you have one with out Joel ,so i can see the bags for my friends o giant loop ??
No, I had another one but I deleted it by accident. Maybe Joel has one. I meant to ask you about those bags, they look pretty roomy and won't creep towards the exhaust like mine did... where did you find them ?

wotevah screwed with this post 03-16-2009 at 11:25 PM
wotevah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:53 AM   #54
BigJohnBundy
Hav-A-Tampa

Death Valley is not Dead II

I finally get my battery and install it. I feel bad because I was so caught up in the trip that I forgot to take pictures of this activity… don’t worry though. I made up for it later.

I hit the road finally at 09:30 and good to go. Not anything exciting except for the B2 bomber just cruising overhead low and slow. (not my picture)

I never seen that before and it was amazing. Again no picture because I am an idiot.

A little further and I get barnyarded by an F18 flying low and fast… yeah I know… Pictures would be nice.

I was cruising real good just before Trona and I see TravelToad poke’n along like he is trying to keep some extra rubber on his tires for later. After I pass him with a Salute , he catches up and we ride the rest of the way into Trona. He gets fuel. I get a drink and we head on into the park. TT get’s to some dirt trails and splits off. I just keep truckin on.

Now that I’m here, out comes the camera and the snapping begins.

I found the spot for me.

All set. Now where’s H)8; I’m ready to go riding. The first group left already so I wasn’t going to make Chloride but Titus was in the plan and I would catch up there. KLRwoody shows up, then TravelToad, JAB and Jason. We all gas up and head out to Titus for a very relaxing cruise.

Oh yeah; We all will be back by 5 pm to finish setting up camp and get the beers going. No Problem.. I did not mention it was Friday 13th did I?

Woody thought it would be okay to leave all his tools and stuff in the truck because, HEY, It’s just a leisurely ride over to Titus and back. I think Woody forgot what day it was.

Travel toad took all the road pictures of the whole gang.. I’m very photo illiterate. (but I’m learning ever so slowly) .

After all the break downs, TT give us permission to keep on going and now it is just Woody and I rolling through Titus.

Just before we get into the canyon I’m looking for Woody…he rides very fast and he should be here. I go back and there he is looking like he just found out he couldn’t have anymore beer for the rest of his life. Poor Poor Woody….

He had a flat and nothing else except his cool KLR factory tool kit. Having never changed a tire while on the road he was very nervous about how WE was going to get out of this mess. I of course, assured him that I also, never changed a tire before.
This news made him smile.

But I did have some tools and a tube. It was like watching two monkeys at the Zoo after someone threw in a couple of baseball bats. Two hours later we were ready to put air in the tire. I use those little Co2 carts. I had four. It took three to set the beads and give him enough air to ride back to stovepipe and fill up to max pressure. Pretty nice!! He’s got a few pictures of the fun.

Before the flat..

After the flat. The shadows getting mighty long.

Proceeding through the canyon.

It was like riding though an ocean of baseballs.

We made it back safe and sound with new skills.
It was great that we were camped so close to JAB and Jason because they saw we were very thirsty and came right out with some liquid refreshments…

TToad was now an expert tire changer fixit guy. He did three changes within 3 hours.. Needless to say this was the beginning of the greatest rubber movement in ADV history.

ItsaDM (Gary) and Richard where just taking in the whole ambiance of the place.

Fire - - -Good!!

See yah in the morning! (oh.. by the way. I have no real phone service here and thus I have not called my SO yet..)
Old 03-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #55
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS
Made it back to LV today (where I'll be for the next few days before heading back to the northern rain and snow).

Had an absolutely f*cking fantastic time!!! You guys now how to throw a hell of a party and ride!

Let me say thanks to all for the great time, and the hospitality!!!

Thanks to Joel and everyone else involved with organizing this great event!
Thanks to NoBrakes, and the rest of the guys that let me ride along with them on Friday (Nathan, Dan, and Rob - sorry if I got the names wrong). We had a hell of a good time riding Saline Valley Rd, Hunter Mountain, Teakettle Junction, Racetrack, and Lippincott!

And thanks to all others that I met - again I can just say that your a fantastic bunch of FF's that know how to have a great time!

The tally:
Broken left rear turn signal cover - $5
Broken mirror - $25
New SPOKED wheels from Woody's to replace my f*cking cast wheels - $2000
Death Valley Adventure and a bunch of new friends - PRICELESS

Damn - can't wait until I can do it again...
Larry those guys you rode with on Friday were brokenspoke, gratis, the austrian, natethenOObie, and ?

Wish you well on your ride back to Washington. You get the award for being the farthest participant but also rode in and out on a bike..... and survived...

I'll keep you in mind on the next event...most likely this coming November, the 3rd nOObs dv rALLy, however there could be a couple more good ones before that date.

hey lc...this is a great pic; thanks for finding the time to snap it.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #56
BigJohnBundy
Hav-A-Tampa

This ride report is moving too slow...

BUMP..
Old 03-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #57
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnBundy
This ride report is moving too slow...

BUMP..
People must be hard at work.....

TToad, where's the good stuff?

A.Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #58
traveltoad OP
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Ok, so Sat morning we get up grab some breakfast and head out. The plan is to head to the springs... Steel Pass... Eureka Dunes... Ubehebe... Teakettle Juntion... Racetrack... Lippincott... and back to camp. That was the plan...

Of course I was not very good at all with the camera... so let's see what I have here... as we made our way down the South Pass into Saline Valley towards the springs:

Jason

JAB

H8chains

spafxr

A.Vern

I missed A.Vern's most beautiful power-slide, with the rear wheel kicked our 18-24 inches that he rode over the crest.

I did not get any photos of GalacticGS, probably because he was going way way too fast on that GS!

Hmmm... an omen of things to come?
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #59
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer: 974
Quote:

I missed A.Vern's most beautiful power-slide, with the rear wheel kicked our 18-24 inches that he rode over the crest.

TToad, I would of tried to start the slide earlier, but I didn't want to dent that beautiful KTM with any debris.
A.Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #60
BigJohnBundy
Hav-A-Tampa

Its another Great Day in DV; and it’s not Friday the 13th anymore

I hook up with Gary, Richard, and Woody as we get to go Mining….
Our first run is over to Darwin. We chose not to go see the falls because a hike was required and we were not hiking today.

Pass a few other mines on the way up to Darwin.

Now I’m just goofing around with some artsy stuff.

Got a shot of Gary

One of Woody

Still making our way to town..

Not sure what this is..

Lap dances had by one and all!!!

Local Post Office and gas station

One final dance and Off to Cerro Gordo..

Local fire station.

Nice!

Salute from Woody.

Next Stop…. CERRO GORDO..

(Still haven’t call the little lady yet)