Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #61
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by wotevah
Joe, it's good to hear you made it back and that banged rim held up. 1am today though !? is there another story there ?
It was 1:00 PM, not AM. Because of the late start on Sunday, I ended up getting a motel on the way home. It was dark, cold and windy and I was tired and sore, so I opted to get off the road rather than pushing on. Got home at 1:00 PM the next day (Monday).

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #62
traveltoad OP
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
GalacticGS and spafxr blasting across the Saline Valley floor. Of course I should not have let them pass me here... I thought I was being cleaver taking some photos, but I forgot that they did not know where the turn was for the Warm Springs. Ooops.

Jason (I think)

H8Chains

So after letting everyone pass to get photos, I blast up to the Warm Springs turn only to find that we are two people short... or are we? No one knows if they made the turn or not. Hmmm... I see vehicle that has come from the south, I ask them and sure enough two bikes passed them. Damn. I sent eveyone to the springs to fuel up and the chase is on.

Of course I am trying to chase down the two fast guys which proves to be difficult. On the plus side... I found a great place for easy and graceful 80mph power wheelies! Sorry, no photos.

Eventually, Galactic GS and spafxr realize that they have missed the turn and they slow down, *whew* I get them turned around and off to the springs. Now it is a three way race!!

Everyone should know this signpost by now!
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #63
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,735
already have all the write-ups and pics, then after i clicked the submit button....server could not be found

NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #64
BigJohnBundy
Hav-A-Tampa

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
already have all the write-ups and pics, then after i clicked the submit button....server could not be found

I feel your pain... Now just do it in Word first and copy over. then you only have to make small edits. If it crashes you still have it all in word.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #65
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,227
Saturday to Saline and beyond and back

On Saturday we head out through the pass and on toward Saline Valley and the Warm springs.

What a view.

One red and two orange.

TT trying to sneak past Joel's camera.

H8

Did'nt take any shots at the warm springs due to required repairs to my "wing tank". Thanks
for the splash of fuel from RiverRat. We mounted up and headed onto the baby-head-rock-highway
of Steel Pass. I don't think anyone got a shot of my "mishap" (big rock stopping all forward progress
with a fall thrown in for points) so I guess it did'nt happen.

The smooth part.

Amazing views

I had stopped to wait for Jason and Larry and it was taking a while. I was trying not to ride
back down this fine section of baby head rocks when I heard a rumble in the distance.

Larry on the GalacticGS.

Larry pulls up and lets me know Jason is down with shifting problem. He was going to press on
and I head back to see what's up. Jason had lost a bolt in his shifter. Not a biggie. We found
a bolt elsewhere on the bike and made repairs. In the meantime, Joel rolls up and it was decided
that Larry will carry on with the group (and his ultimate fate)and we would head back the way we came.
That was OK, I had enough baby head rocks for a while.

Onward and upward.

Jason

Smile and salute.

Joel playing in the mud.

Back at ya, bro.

Lunch break. Welcome to Jason's ADV Deli.

Hey Joel, did ya find that contact lens?

Let's go places and eat things. Mmmmmmmmmmm....sammich.

Mounted up and headed into the pass.

Yup. Snow.

Got back on the pavement and made our last stop at the Crowley overlook.
Amazing.

Joel and Jason

Thanks for the ride Joel. Top of the wow-o-meter.

Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin'.

Jason, I think you are going to catch on to this ADV thing just fine. I am really glad this
all came together and we were able to do this ride together. We both needed a break from
the day-in day-out routine and this was the E-ticket ride. Thanks to everyone else in the
group. Special thanks to Joel.

The end (for now)

JAB screwed with this post 03-17-2009 at 10:22 PM
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #66
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,565
Thumb

Death Valley N00B v2

Since I missed out on last years festivities I could find no reason to justify not making this one.

Originally I was supposed to bring a noob along that was going to ride the 625 but he got hit by a car, a Porsche no less , so was a little sore and unable to make the event.

That said I threw the small bike into the back of the truck and headed out early Friday morning.

Got my spot under the trees reserved and rolled into camp around 10am.

Ran into Eggroll on the way in while getting gas.

Got camp all set up

and waited to see where the first ride of the day would head off too

The first ride out was to Chloride Cliffs and then Titus…after slabbing it we got gas

We all got back on the road and the real fun started

Of course there is always that one that will do anything for attention or a photo op

H8Chains showing proper ADV attitude during the whole ordeal

Of course everyone was nice enough to wait while we picked up the bike (and the parts) finally catching back up with the group

And then there was this guy (street tires on a SM DRZ400 in the dirt). Watching him ride was like watching a train wreck.

The suspension to see something happen was there but he never delivered….

(actually he did damn good all thing considered I would not have ridden that bike on those conditions, I think he is insane)

Made it to the state line

I got to take a break after eating dust for a while.

Before it was back into the dust bowl (that’s what happens when you’re the sweep)

Titus was nice and other than the really deep gravel at the very bottom was a cake walk, scenic and simple.

Rider914 making it look easy as usual

Next day had us going over Hunter Mountain through Hidden valley out to Tea Kettle then past the race track and out lippencot back to Saline Valley. 130 miles of pure fun and excitement.

Found a little mud on the way (ok a lot)

On the way a little spur took you too a cabin, I got side tracked…

Eggroll got stuck in the only snow on the whole trip you could get stuck in….

I seem to spend a lot of time this trip helping Asians pick up their bikes….wonder if this is going to be a new trend.

Rest of the way to the cabin was uneventful

The cabin

then this guy parked his bike down slope only to have it fall over and break the clutch perch. But zip ties and bailing wire we were back in business.

f

Next stretch out to the race track was fast and washboard, with the exception of a flat it was uneventful (no pics of the flat sorry)

Headed down lipencott from there

Back to camp…

That night got to try out a new to me fire pit

Worked great!!

Till next year

DSM8 screwed with this post 03-17-2009 at 10:18 PM
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #67
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,735
dave, very nice report and pics.

yeah, i asked psr for those campsites with trees...really nice and you scored. unfortunately for us, they allow only 1 vehicle because of the picnic table. dannyG could have taken care of those tables if he camped a week before....

did the tent came with when you bought the bike?.........
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #68
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,565
Actually I had the tent before I ever got the KTM, first time camping it got down to low 20's I froze my ass off.

4 season tent, never had a problem since. I am just lucky it happens to be my favorite color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
did the tent came with when you bought the bike?.........
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #69
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
Yes beware of the n00bs of March. Hahaha. Flats, getting lost, dented rims, injuries oh my!

Your bike is looking good Sito. Glad to hear all the n00bs made it home.

Good to see everybody. Wish it was a longer weekend.

For one rider (not a n00b group rider) the adventure was a little more "adventurous"

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:52 AM   #70
BigJohnBundy
Hav-A-Tampa

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat
Yes beware of the n00bs of March. Hahaha. Flats, getting lost, dented rims, injuries oh my!

Your bike is looking good Sito. Glad to hear all the n00bs made it home.

Good to see everybody. Wish it was a longer weekend.

For one rider (not a n00b group rider) the adventure was a little more "adventurous"

If anybody has any status report on the broken rider please post it here. It was quite a spill and would like to know how he is doing.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:14 AM   #71
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnBundy
If anybody has any status report on the broken rider please post it here. It was quite a spill and would like to know how he is doing.

I checked with BMW Ventura, and they can't place Jeff from Ventura, so far, they will keep in touch.

spafxer
jim
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #72
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer
I checked with BMW Ventura, and they can't place Jeff from Ventura, so far, they will keep in touch.

spafxer
jim
As GalacticGS and I were leaving the springs to try and get help for Joe and crew, we saw these guys riding in. I pulled over, turned off the PIAA's so they didn't get blinded and waved. I noticed one of them was wearing sunglasses (not sure if it was the one who crashed).

Hope he's healing well, broken ribs suck (I had a broken rib and a punctured lung from a sport bike incident a few years ago).

Hopefully they didn't take him to Bakersfield County. If he has insurance they will keep you in the ER for days with the crackys and gang shooting victims to milk your insurance comapany.
A.Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #73
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Follow up on Jeff who had the accident in dv.

I heard there were some n00bs who had not returned to camp. Very worrisome because they were late for the bbq and n00bs don't do that. On the way into saline valley I saw the missing adv riders. they were all ok just had the issues with square wheels and leaky tubes .

Further down the valley there were 3 other moto riders stranded due to a clutch issue iirc. They were ok and equipped to spend the night so rode on in search of the missing n00bs haha.

When I stopped and talked to the adv group they told me of a guy who had a bad crash. I didn't know at the time who it was but would soon find out it was Jeff who I went riding with the previous night

Old 03-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #74
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Jeff and Wally decided to take a few days and explore dv. Jeff had been there before in a 4wd but it was new ground for wally. So on friday after dark wally got lost on saline valley rd. Jeff and I checked some of the spur trails and ended up going well up north pass road. At the top of the pass I decide to go back to camp and Jeff rides to Big Pine where he finds Wally at a motel. So I get a call from jeff saying that all is ok and they will ride back into dv saturday afternoon.

Fastforward to sat night and I ride up and see Jeff laying out on the road severe pain. I meet wally and hear all about the crash. Wally had already contacted nps and they were going to send out a ranger and chp unit.

Around 3 hrs later the chp officer shows up in a miller towing s10.

Jeff was in as good of condition as we could do in the desert. We checked him out, threw some blankets on him, gave him a little water, and kept him awake. There wasn't much to do while we waited hours for a helicopter evac. Jeff and I arranged that i'd get his bike out of dv via my trailer. We loaded it up and made the best of a bad situation as the chp asked what happened.

wally

RiverRat screwed with this post 03-18-2009 at 05:26 PM
Old 03-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #75
RiverRat
Endless Chores

The bmw was pretty messed up but i bet it could have made it out of there. The clutch lever was broken and fluid leaked out. The bike suffered an oil leak and some bent/broken parts but started right up.

An hour or so later nps shows up with two units (tahoe and ram truck). By now jeff really wanted to get out of there. The story was that due to winds the chopper was grounded. About 7 hrs (3am) after the crash Jeff was finally getting out of the valley.

The medevac crew did a great job when they arrived.

We all helped load him in the chopper

So right now I have his bike at my place and have been in contact with Jeff. He should be out of ridgecrest hosptital in a day or so and headed back to ventura.

Now the interesting part of this story is that now Wally is missing. The last I saw of wally was him leaving saline valley sun morning around 10am. He has not checked in with Jeff.

RiverRat screwed with this post 03-18-2009 at 05:09 PM