Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2009, 02:12 AM   #1
RockerC OP
Fuck Piece & Quiet

Oddometer: 194
I know, itís not a KTM or a Beamer. . . . . . but aye, itís got two wheels & Iím goín

Hi, having being intrigued at some of the adventure stories Iíve read here on ADV, Iím about to set off on my own 4000km adventure (sorry guys, itís tarmac) and thought why not take the time to share it with you. My plan is to travel up to Hideaway Bay to catch up with an old mate that I had, until two years ago, put up with for 5 days a week for the last 20yrs of my working life. We have regularly kept in touch since he left, and he has been at me for a while to go up and have a look at the house that he and his wife have built thatís perched high on a hill overlooking the islands of the Whitsundays off the coast of North Queensland.

Now the quickest and easiest way to do this I guess would be to jump on a Boeing 737 and be there in 4 hours, however Iíve decided to take the 3 or 4 day option of riding the long way. Without meaning to turn this into a sob story, as I do remain positive, but 12 months ago I was diagnosed with the big ĒCĒ and since that time have been through a couple of operations as well a solid 6 week program of daily radiation treatments (Not Nice) in an attempt to cure the disease. Now at this time my health still remains ordinary, and I guess there is still a lot of uncertainty about the future, however, I do feel that Iím strong enough at this time to take on this trip. My wife and other loved ones do have their concerns and reservations and would prefer I hold off until such time Iím better. Now not wanting to sound selfish, but I would hate to think that in the event that my health did not return that I had wasted an opportunity if I didnít go. So with their blessings, Iím on my way and for that support I love them dearly.

My planned route is, leaving Lake Macquarie, travel up through the North West Slopes and Plains of NSW, before crossing the border into QLD at Goondiwindi and continuing on through the Darling Downs before reaching the QLD coastal city of Rockhampton. From here I head a further 500kms north before reaching Hideaway Bay where Iíll spend a few days before tackling the 2100km return trip back home along the coast.

My Stead for the trip

Given that the "Rocker" is not really designed to carry gear, I've had to design and build my own rack to allow me take along the necessary items required when travelling. This was completed today.

Tomorrow will see some wiring being completed to run 12v accessories along the way along with finalising packing positions etc. The plan is to have all this completed over the next couple of days prior to setting off early this coming Saturday morning.
RockerC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:31 AM   #2
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 754
We expect to see lots of cool scenery photos....

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:50 AM   #3
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
I'm in. Lots of pics please. Glad you are taking a positive attitude towards the cancer recovery. Go for it! That is one sweet rack. On a HardleyD no less.

John
Old 03-17-2009, 02:57 AM   #4
jafar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:13 AM   #5
gregneedham
I seem to fall often

Oddometer: 854
Can't wait. That rack rocks!

My 640 Adventure blog
My 1150 GS blog (retired)
Memphis to Moab - TAT 09 Blog
designkeywest.com
gregneedham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:34 AM   #6
petemoss
Having a look around

Oddometer: 411
Nice bike
Nice rack (just doesn't sound right saying that to a bloke)

Old 03-17-2009, 05:02 AM   #7
Curryinahurry
Born 2 Ride

Oddometer: 533
Thumb Awesome Rocker!!

Way to go myte....

Remember - The Glass is always full!!

I admire your strength and I am sure you will enjoy this trip....

Ride safe myte!!

Cheers

Bala
2006 - Yamaha R1 - SOLD
2005 - Yamaha R1 (Disappeared into thin air!!)
Curryinahurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:40 AM   #8
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,181
Good on you for doing what you love, and very cool that your loved ones support you! Remember what John Lenon said, "Life is what happens to you while you're making other plans." My idea has always been that you should live your life fully as you go and not save it up for "later" because, as you are very aware, "later" may not happen. I hope your "C" is GONE.

Um, I hope you have really good earplugs and a strong back... that bike is going to be fun, but I don't know if I could survive a 4000 km trip on it! Like the others said, that is a SWEET rack! Does the smaller rack slide in and out from under the bigger one?? Cool. Is that a gun rack on the handlebars?? Expecting trouble? Ha ha ha!

It's not unusual to see Harleys loaded up like a moving van! Maybe just not this style... I used to live in Wyoming on the main route to Sturgis and I'd see all sorts of silliness come through town. One couple had full-size folding lawnchairs (you know, aluminum frame with 2" webbing) strapped to the top of a massive pile of stuff, happily motoring along with two XXL people on board. It looked like supersized Beverly Hillbillies on two wheels. But By Gawd they were out riding!

Ride safe and HAVE FUN!

Doug
Old 03-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
Superzoom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Hi RockerC,

Have a fantastic trip!

There's a movie showing in Canada right now about a guy (played by Joshua Jackson) who finds out he has cancer, and decides to ride his motorcycle across Canada, despite the protests of those around him. It's called "One Week". Supposed to be a good movie, based on the reviews I've heard. Probably can't see it in Australia, but I suspect you'd really dig the movie.

The rack looks good but I'm concerned about the back half. I wouldn't put much more on there than a sleeping bag or something light. But of course the odds are you won't have any problems on your trip.

I'd recommend a small windshield for your trip. Windshields look bad on most bikes, but they can make the difference between relaxing and uncomfortable. You don't want one of your memories of the trip being how tired your arms were all the time. Plus I think the right windshield would look cool on that bike.

I have this one on my Sportster, and I can't imagine doing all-day rides without it:

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/Flyscreen.shtml

Take your time, talk to everyone, take billions of pictures, and live every day like we all should... Fully!
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #10
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,985
Rocker C

Good on ya mate.

Please keep us informed about your trip and post lots of photos.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:16 AM   #11
superdutyGS
lone rider

Oddometer: 845
trip

I am on board. can't wait to hear about the trip. Hoping to make my first trip to your great country a year from this week. Great timing for me...to see this now. Be safe..........I am impressed with the home manufactured rack.....best regards and hope you beat the C into submission.......or I guess that should be remission. Bring on the pics........

Set tall in the saddle, hold your head up high...Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky....Live like you aint afraid to die. And don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "Chris Ledoux"
superdutyGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #12
Haroon
RIDE for PASSION

Oddometer: 544
@ RockerC- You have one of the sweetest looking harleys. Just go for it. You are a winner mate and the ADV family eagerly awaits ride reports & lots of photos (remember the saying - a picture is worth a thousand words!).

Ride safe & enjoy yourself.
Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
captodport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Go for it!

RockerC,

Great fab job on the rear rack, looks stout enough to hold whatever you need to take. Put something on it you can lean against and go. I hope the Docs have fixed you up for good and you can enjoy life now with "no worries".

I'm definately scribeing to this trip, wanna see some pics of asphalt for a change. Not to belittle the "dusty" RR's (read most all of them), but dang, I'd like to read some more pavement RR's.

Luck, and good riding to ya.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:59 AM   #14
RockerC OP
Fuck Piece & Quiet

Update

Hi guys, thankyou all for your kind words and interest in my travels and welcome aboard. As stated when last here, I was off to go and do some wiring and to work out where everything I intend on taking is going to fit, This has been completed and tested today with a quick 100 km squirt at varying speeds and covering different road surfaces to ensure my gear was not going to either blow or fall off prior to Saturday.

Shot of some electrical stuff

And packed. . . .

Some sort of cover yet to go over the back rest cushion, however, I found it very comfortable and the bike handled like a dream, and the gear didn't move an inch so Im more than happy. A few domestics to knock over tomorrow (gotta keep Mrs Rocker happy) and then I'm off first thing Saturday morning.

Until then . . . . . . . . . .
Old 03-19-2009, 07:30 AM   #15
RockerC OP
Fuck Piece & Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotbond
We expect to see lots of cool scenery photos....
Hi Dotbond, thanks for jumping on board. I'll endeavour to do my best mate, I have a couple of 4 gig SD cards so there's no excuse hey!