User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #61
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Oddometer: 1,211
On the road...

We left Saudarkrokur and headed for our first destination of the day, Siglufjordur. We intended to go to the end of the penninsula see the lighthouse and see what we could see of the sea. Basically, we were going right up Route 75 and then Route 76.

Here's a look at a map...

On the way over, this started to loom out of the ocean, right in front of a wall of rolling clouds...

As we neared it...

Standing there, sort of like a rock iceberg of sorts. Solitary but solid and not going anywhere.

An icon of great statute needs protectors and as I stood to snap these pics, the protectors came running. These fine creatures made themselves known and made sure that I stood a respectable distance away and paid appropriate respect. All in all, they watched patiently and let me take my pics without a problem. Oh, and you have to love those long manes...

Lest you think the sea was was the only attractive thing at this location, immediately across the street from this monolith was this...

A little Switzerland in Iceland?

Having taken our pics, we continued on and stopped for fuel. There we met...

Ramon. Ramon is from New Zealand and is pedaling his way around different parts of the world. He has pedaled across Korea and is now in Iceland. From here, he's not entirely certain where he's going, but he may head to Denmark and to Germany. He has no set timetable, but he's off to see the world on two wheels. Ramon was a truly very pleasant person and we wish him well and safe travels on his journey!

Fueled up and just 25 kilometers later, we made it into Siglufjordur. They were just gearing up for a folk festival which was to go on all weekend. Unfortunately for us, there wasn't any music yet.

We stopped and had a quick stroll around the town center and here's what we found...

Lunch at the Pizza 76 (flower power in full tilt mode)

The little town square with the Lions Club in the background (really!)

Last but not least, the town church....

By now it was time to head for the end of the day's destination, a hotel half away between Akureyri and Grenivik on Route 83.

On the way over, the wind came up in a big way. Really big. To get to Akureyri, we had to go over the mountains on the left of the pic seen here...

If you look closely in front of Kim's bike, you will see some clouds forming in the valley between the two mountains, here's a better look:

That is the beginning of a mountain wave and a respectable one at that. We decided that we would head up the road a bit and see what the conditions were like. If we started to loose visibility at all, we were going to do an immediate 180 and head to Akureyri via the main road, Route 1, not via the dirt road we had planned over the mountain.

Ultimately, we climbed to about 1400 feet on the dirt road and stayed under all the clouds. In fact the wave rode over the top of us so we made the 35 kilometer segment in no time flat.

With the dark foreboding clouds overhead, we approached the Mulagong tunnel. I am going to try to get some video of the tunnels in Iceland. They are burrowed through solid rock and many of them are a single lane! You enter the tunnel and when traffic on one side sees a car approaching, they bail out into turnout areas in the tunnel. It's a really strange feeling.

Anyway, we left the dark and cloudy and broke out of the Mulagong into this...

What a difference a 5 kilometer tunnel makes!!

2touringtheworld screwed with this post 10-28-2009 at 07:18 PM
2touringtheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #62
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Day 4 Wrap Up

To wrap up todays ride report, here's a little Icelandic community for you. In a small community, we found this. A place where people could come and dry their catches. Just being able to take this picture gave me a feel for being a part of the Icelandic community.

Til later!
Old 07-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #63
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

A Little Light Riding

Today consisted of a late wake up call, general lounging around in the early morning and a bit of light riding (about 100 miles total) in some pretty nice sun to the town of Husavik. It did have a bit of expected drama for reasons you'll see shortly. I'll let Kim tell you about it. It's not something I want to talk about; I get cramps...

We suited up and had a nice leisurely ride into this town which was the first one we've been to that had a bit of a tourist feel to it. But it did have a nice little harbor surrounded by snow capped mountains...

and even a nice little boat.

But I don't know how one human being could fit in that wheelhouse.

There was also this converted schooner now used for whale watching.

Lastly, since we were in Husavik, there was this Husaberg right next to the docks!

Now comes the uncomfortable part. I knew we were going here. Kim wanted to see this place since we got the first brochures for Iceland. So I'm going to show you the sign to the place and then I'm going to turn the thread over to Kim and she can tell you all about the place and what a great time she had there.

Ready? Here goes.....

Still don't get it? Does this make it clearer?

Ok, now I think you get the drift and OVER TO YOU KIM!!!

2touringtheworld screwed with this post 07-04-2009 at 02:17 PM
Old 07-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #64
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

The Penis Museum

Hi, Kim here. OK I admit I asked Mike to go with me to this place and he wasn't so happy to go. But it was interesting. There were 194 specimens belonging to land and sea mammals. Many were on the walls or preserved in jars. So I may as well just get on with it and give you a few pics:

Whales:

Other mammals:

Of course there had to be other types of mammals as well, so the Icelandic Handball team, 2008 Beijing Silver medalists I might add,

chipped in (now that's the national team spirit) and provided samples (in silver I might add):

http://kimike.smugmug.com/gallery/87...102_Sie7a-L-LB (Not Safe For Work)

There are also actually human donations in waiting from Icelanders, Germans and Americans. I was pretty surprised by that. They came complete with lifesize replicas. One was even named Elmo. Guess from which country that one came from.

Well, that's it from the penis museum, I'll turn it back to Mike now.

2touringtheworld screwed with this post 07-04-2009 at 02:50 PM
Old 07-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #65
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

How do you top that?

Well how do you top that?

A quick look around the harbor...

A couple of passes around their very beautiful church...

and head out of town before Kim could find other "interesting" places for me to go or before she could get into a philanthropic donating mood.

Tomorrow it's over to Myvatn and a look at the Dettifoss.

Til later!
Old 07-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #66
Game over
Haha

Oddometer: 137
I just got caught up reading your ride report and now have the dubious disticntion of first post after a visit to the penis museum. I am not sure what I think of that. Anyway, great RR, thanks for the pics aside from the last post. I wanted to sees fjords, not fjordskin.

I would hate to see the gift shop!

good luck on the rest of your trip.

Game over screwed with this post 07-04-2009 at 04:02 PM
Game over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #67
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Good night

It's a little after 11:30 PM and the sun is about at it's lowest point for it's beautiful "sunset", so I took these pics over the last hour to let you see what a "sunset" looks like at this latitude.

Good night all!

Mike and Kim

Old 07-04-2009, 08:17 PM   #68
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
We're going too

(Not to hijack these folks' thread.) My wife & I will be visitng Iceland in August. However, she is not a serious rider (though she has a moto license) and I don't want to haul 2 people plus two people's baggage on one touring bike (I did look into the Riding Iceland outfit that OP is using).

So, I am trying to arrange for a 1-day enduro bike ride into the interior (by myself or with a guide) with a different company. For me, if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen, I will still be Jeeping around with the wife. We will be doing Reyjavik to Akureyri & back, not all the way around.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:40 AM   #69
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Land of Ice

You have your own 4th of July celebration going on right outside your window.
You guys always seem to end up in the land of the midnight sun on your adventures. As Malcolm Smith would say, "neat".

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #70
ans3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28

Standing there, sort of like a rock iceberg of sorts. Solitary but solid and not going anywhere.

Hi Mike and Kim.

Welcome to Iceland. I just got back from a little vacation and have been catching up on your thread. I see you took the long way to Akureyri, good choice, its much more beautiful. Im glad that your trip is turning out so well, and hope that my fellow Icelanders will keep on treating you well.

Anyway, just i little trivia. The Island in the picture above is called Drangey.
There used to be two smaller rocks in front of it but now one of them is gone. It is an old Icelandic folktale that these two little rocks were a troll couple and they were transporting their cow (the island) but got caught up and when the sun came out it turned them all to stone.

Maybe i can ride to meet you guys when you are close to Reykjavk again.

Happy travels
Atli
ans3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #71
ans3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid
(Not to hijack these folks' thread.) My wife & I will be visitng Iceland in August. However, she is not a serious rider (though she has a moto license) and I don't want to haul 2 people plus two people's baggage on one touring bike (I did look into the Riding Iceland outfit that OP is using).

So, I am trying to arrange for a 1-day enduro bike ride into the interior (by myself or with a guide) with a different company. For me, if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen, I will still be Jeeping around with the wife. We will be doing Reyjavik to Akureyri & back, not all the way around.

Hi viverrid.

If you can rent an enduro bike Ill be happy to take a days ride with you into the interior. Then you dont have to pay for a guide.
Also if you need any information for your jeep trip just pm me.
I know the interior pretty well.
Have fun in Iceland.
ans3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #72
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Hello Atli

Atli,

Thanks so much for the history about Drangey. It makes the trip more fun to know the folklore and history about the places you visit. By the end of the week we will be back in the Reykjavk area and we would love to meet with you. We'll give you a call later in the week.

Mike and Kim
Old 07-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #73
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

4th of July Fireworks

Skip,

You are right, we did have our own fireworks last night. They were awesome!

BTW, now that I've ridden the TransAlp a bit more I do have some impressions I can share. Overall, I think it's a good machine. It does most everything well, but not anything really well. I'd say it's a soft dual sport.

We did do about 50 kilometers of 4X4 only road today and it did it pretty well. (Kim did a great job on the XT on very variable conditions as you will see.) The only real gripe I have is that it will really push the front end in anything soft. Now that could be all 210 lbs of me unweighting the front, but I don't think that's the total problem.

It's a bit heavy itself and the weight of me and my gear doesn't help. So is it a true world tourer? I don't think so. I think a bit of suspension fiddling would help.

So if I had it to do over again, I'd probably opt for the XT over the TransAlp for anything but long drones on the pavement.

Just my two cents.

2touringtheworld screwed with this post 10-28-2009 at 07:22 PM
Old 07-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #74
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Riding to Myvatn

Today was another fairly short riding day to the Myvatn area but we did have a wonderful treat seeing various sights and getting various experiences while riding to the Dettifoss and Sellfoss.

First stop...

the Namafjall furnace vents and mudpots letting out steam and sulphurous gasses at over 200 degrees F. The sight was awe inspiring with steam and gas hissing from the earth in many locations...

While the earth took on a glassy and baked color...

2touringtheworld screwed with this post 07-05-2009 at 03:49 PM
Old 07-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #75
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Note to viverid

Viverid,

Check with Haddi at www.Ridingiceland.is again. I'm pretty sure he can help you out. I think the XT would be perfect for what you have in mind and the XTs make up the majority of his fleet of bikes.

As far as I know, he doesn't rent touring bikes so I'm not sure who you worked with previously, but from our experience, we know that Haddi will go the extra mile for you.

Mike and Kim