ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
cachorroLOUCO OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Curitiba,Brazil
Oddometer: 323
Wink Welding triple trees clamps?

What up guys!! i'm converting a standard to a dual sport,this is the bike as you can see,the suspension is not dual sport worthy,we have a bike down here which has good,tall suspension,and the parts for it are plenty,it's this one ,so i plan on using the rear shock,and adapting the front forks from it,but as you can imagine,the front forks are much wider. i have access to quality machining,welding and general metal working material,so i was wondering,if i do wider clamps for the stock triple trees in the perfect size,cut off the original clamps,and weld the new ones,would that be dangerous? what type of weld should i use if not? this bike will be used for a 28k km travel with lots of bad roads on the way,i'm concerned about the welds not being able to hold on,busting on the middle of the Amazon jungle or such. how should i go about this? i could adapt the triple trees from the second bike but money spent on the bike means money not spent on whores and beer. what's your opinion?
cachorroLOUCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
sparkingdogg
Prisoner In Disguise
 
sparkingdogg's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: Omahell, Nebraska
Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachorroLOUCO View Post
,i'm concerned about the welds not being able to hold on,busting on the middle of the Amazon jungle or such. what's your opinion?
I think you answered your own question

I am not a "master fabricator" or any such thing, but seems like a bad idea welding such a critical piece. What if the weld breaks and sends you into an oncoming truck on the highway?

Maybe a better option would be to have something made on a CNC machine or to adapt your steering stem to fit a proper fork clamp. Just my opinion. But welding the triples seems rather risky!
__________________
"Never look down on another human being, unless you are helping them up." --me
sparkingdogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #3
jas123
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jas123's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: northern Wisconsin
Oddometer: 115
Don't weld it. You are asking for trouble
jas123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:02 PM   #4
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 2,238
id swap the complete front end over, triple trees and all..... I'm sure you can find a bearing with the correct dimensions to go from the stem of the donor bike to the OD of the steering neck on the honda.
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:24 PM   #5
cachorroLOUCO OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Curitiba,Brazil
Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkingdogg View Post
I think you answered your own question

I am not a "master fabricator" or any such thing, but seems like a bad idea welding such a critical piece. What if the weld breaks and sends you into an oncoming truck on the highway?

Maybe a better option would be to have something made on a CNC machine or to adapt your steering stem to fit a proper fork clamp. Just my opinion. But welding the triples seems rather risky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
Don't weld it. You are asking for trouble
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
id swap the complete front end over, triple trees and all..... I'm sure you can find a bearing with the correct dimensions to go from the stem of the donor bike to the OD of the steering neck on the honda.

Thanks guys,yeah that sounds about right,we all heard stories of those 70's choppers and their extended goosenecks breaking and killing people.. i will try to adapt the whole front end from the donor bike,or try to find forks from a 250 dirt bike with similar width. thanks for tha help. this is my first build btw. ride safe,peace
cachorroLOUCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #6
sparkingdogg
Prisoner In Disguise
 
sparkingdogg's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: Omahell, Nebraska
Oddometer: 402
Thanks, friend, for not murdering yourself

Post some pics when you do your build, we LIKE pictures here

Be safe and well!
__________________
"Never look down on another human being, unless you are helping them up." --me
sparkingdogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator
 
jwalters's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Little Marais, MN
Oddometer: 2,348
I put CRF450 USD forks on my XR650R a few years ago. Check out Emig Triple Clamps for some ideas, good info there even if you don't buy their products.


Cheaper Option: Find a used triple tree steering stem that is larger diameter than needed. Then turn it down to the right bearing ID/OD size, and get some spacers to fit the length of the steering stem. Did a samilar swap on my RZ 350 a few years ago:
__________________
Minnesota North Shore Shindig 10-13 September 2015 -- Finland, MN

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #8
cachorroLOUCO OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Curitiba,Brazil
Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
I put CRF450 USD forks on my XR650R a few years ago. Check out Emig Triple Clamps for some ideas, good info there even if you don't buy their products.


Cheaper Option: Find a used triple tree steering stem that is larger diameter than needed. Then turn it down to the right bearing ID/OD size, and get some spacers to fit the length of the steering stem. Did a samilar swap on my RZ 350 a few years ago:
Thanks mate that second option seems usefull. i'll keep you guys updated on the build
cachorroLOUCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #9
cachorroLOUCO OP
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Curitiba,Brazil
Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkingdogg View Post
Thanks, friend, for not murdering yourself

Post some pics when you do your build, we LIKE pictures here

Be safe and well!
Will do. ride safe
cachorroLOUCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:59 PM   #10
Scudman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Oddometer: 352
I press out the old stem and make bushings to fit the old stem into the newer tripple clamp.
Scudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015