User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
cachorroLOUCO OP
Banned

Oddometer: 323
Wink Welding triple trees clamps?

What up guys!! i'm converting a standard to a dual sport,this is the bike as you can see,the suspension is not dual sport worthy,we have a bike down here which has good,tall suspension,and the parts for it are plenty,it's this one ,so i plan on using the rear shock,and adapting the front forks from it,but as you can imagine,the front forks are much wider. i have access to quality machining,welding and general metal working material,so i was wondering,if i do wider clamps for the stock triple trees in the perfect size,cut off the original clamps,and weld the new ones,would that be dangerous? what type of weld should i use if not? this bike will be used for a 28k km travel with lots of bad roads on the way,i'm concerned about the welds not being able to hold on,busting on the middle of the Amazon jungle or such. how should i go about this? i could adapt the triple trees from the second bike but money spent on the bike means money not spent on whores and beer. what's your opinion?
cachorroLOUCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
sparkingdogg
Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachorroLOUCO View Post
,i'm concerned about the welds not being able to hold on,busting on the middle of the Amazon jungle or such. what's your opinion?
I think you answered your own question

I am not a "master fabricator" or any such thing, but seems like a bad idea welding such a critical piece. What if the weld breaks and sends you into an oncoming truck on the highway?

Maybe a better option would be to have something made on a CNC machine or to adapt your steering stem to fit a proper fork clamp. Just my opinion. But welding the triples seems rather risky!
Old 05-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #3
jas123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Don't weld it. You are asking for trouble
jas123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:02 PM   #4
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,238
id swap the complete front end over, triple trees and all..... I'm sure you can find a bearing with the correct dimensions to go from the stem of the donor bike to the OD of the steering neck on the honda.
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:24 PM   #5
cachorroLOUCO OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkingdogg View Post
I think you answered your own question

I am not a "master fabricator" or any such thing, but seems like a bad idea welding such a critical piece. What if the weld breaks and sends you into an oncoming truck on the highway?

Maybe a better option would be to have something made on a CNC machine or to adapt your steering stem to fit a proper fork clamp. Just my opinion. But welding the triples seems rather risky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
Don't weld it. You are asking for trouble
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
id swap the complete front end over, triple trees and all..... I'm sure you can find a bearing with the correct dimensions to go from the stem of the donor bike to the OD of the steering neck on the honda.

Thanks guys,yeah that sounds about right,we all heard stories of those 70's choppers and their extended goosenecks breaking and killing people.. i will try to adapt the whole front end from the donor bike,or try to find forks from a 250 dirt bike with similar width. thanks for tha help. this is my first build btw. ride safe,peace
Old 05-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #6
sparkingdogg
Prisoner In Disguise

Oddometer: 402
Thanks, friend, for not murdering yourself

Post some pics when you do your build, we LIKE pictures here

Be safe and well!
Old 05-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,348
I put CRF450 USD forks on my XR650R a few years ago. Check out Emig Triple Clamps for some ideas, good info there even if you don't buy their products.

Cheaper Option: Find a used triple tree steering stem that is larger diameter than needed. Then turn it down to the right bearing ID/OD size, and get some spacers to fit the length of the steering stem. Did a samilar swap on my RZ 350 a few years ago:

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #8
cachorroLOUCO OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
I put CRF450 USD forks on my XR650R a few years ago. Check out Emig Triple Clamps for some ideas, good info there even if you don't buy their products.

Cheaper Option: Find a used triple tree steering stem that is larger diameter than needed. Then turn it down to the right bearing ID/OD size, and get some spacers to fit the length of the steering stem. Did a samilar swap on my RZ 350 a few years ago:
Thanks mate that second option seems usefull. i'll keep you guys updated on the build
Old 05-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #9
cachorroLOUCO OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkingdogg View Post
Thanks, friend, for not murdering yourself

Post some pics when you do your build, we LIKE pictures here

Be safe and well!
Will do. ride safe
Old 05-20-2015, 10:59 PM   #10
Scudman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
I press out the old stem and make bushings to fit the old stem into the newer tripple clamp.
Scudman is offline   Reply With Quote