ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #1
TIGERRIDER007 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Need Routes Around The Boone Area...

Okay, wanting see if anyone knows of some great loops or routes for big adventure bikes that are more hard packed gravel, in and around Boone/Blowing Rock...
We are planning on staying at Rider's Roost, then heading out to explore.

So, putting it out there for fellow adventurers to steer us down the right path...hard packed gravel, some small creek crossings, 4 hours of riding time, etc.

The why: I'm getting together some Tiger riders at an event, and not knowing skill levels of the riders, something easy to ride might be good for most. '
I appreciate any and all help, especially good loops to ride. I can look at a map, but all I see are nice curvy lines.
Thanks!
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:31 PM   #2
BaldKnob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Here's a good day ride...

Whatup Tiger? I'm not sure why all the silence... it's no secret North Carolina has some great backroads and gravel roads. From your campsite, it's a short ride west to Blowing Rock then take Globe Rd south. Lot of gravel if that's what you're looking for. If so, when Globe intersects NC 90, go west to Mortimer.

From Mortimer south, you follow the Wilson Creek. Craig Cr Rd will branch out (west) about 4 miles south of Mortimer but finish riding the Wilson Ck Gorge south (6-8mi) then double back for Craig.

If you continue west out of Mortimer, the 1st road west is Pinola Rd and this will take you to the BRP near Jonas Ridge. 2nd road west is Roseboro and will take you to the BRP near Linville. If you continue north from the Roseboro intersection, 90 will turn into Edgemont and drop you off on 221 near the BRP.

Need more? West of 181 is Table Rock Mountain. There are 3 roads off of 181 that lead to the base of the mountain. 1 mile hike to the top. More? west side of the Linville Gorge is Old 105. Awesome big bike friendly gravel roads.

If it's pavement you want, ride 221 from Blowing Rock to Linville then get 181 south to Brown Mountain Beach Road. Going east from here is a fun ride until the road ends at Collettsville. Go north on NC 90 to Globe and back to Blowing Rock. Have fun!
BaldKnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #3
TIGERRIDER007 OP
Studly Adventurer

Why thank you fellow rider!!!

I really appreciate it. I'm going to make a small map book for folks who attend, or a small packet of routes. If I had time, I'd come up and scout out the area, then put some loops together, but I don't think I'll have the time. Hence, reaching out to fellow riders for that important regional knowledge they have to offer.

I'm hoping more folks chime in with more. But this is an awesome start!

Thank you again!
Old 01-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #4
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 2,068
That is the only area around that has any extensive gravel roads left. There are a few patches of gravel left, but most of them have been getting paved.

I live west of Boone. I can list all the patches of gravel that are left, but few are over a mile long. Maybe you can connect some of them together.

Holloway Mtn Road, Philips Branch Rd., Laurel Creek Rd., North Fork Rd, Rich Mtn Rd., Hattie Hill Rd., Grady Hill Rd., Timber Ridge Rd. Andy Hicks Rd, Shawnee Rd, Lee Gualtney Rd., Old Beech Mtn Rd. , Buckeye Creek Rd., Rominger Rd., Locust Gap Rd., Laurel Branch Rd., Clawson Rd., Heaton Branch Rd., White Oak Rd., Walnut Mtn. Rd., Little Stoney Creek Rd., Laurel Fork Rd., Dennis Cove Rd. Kellersville Rd., Perry Presnell Rd., Watauga River Rd.

White Oak Rd & Shawnee Rd are too rough for 2 wd passenger cars.

As I said, most of these roads only have short sections of gravel.

The ones Heaton, Walnut, Dennis Cove, Etc. are long, but are probably too far away from where you'll be staying.

You can connect a number of the ones around Beech Mtn. All of the connecting roads are very good M/C roads.

None of this is as vast as the Forest Service Rds. in the Globe Rd / Mortimer Rd area. The only creek crossings I know of are too difficult for ADV bikes, at least for most riders. The nice thing about riding around Banner Elk & Beech Mtn. is that there are good places to eat.

If you're interested in a lot of short gravel sections mixed with good pavement this might be good for riders that can't handle continuous gravel all day long. I can help you with the route if it looks like roads you'd like. If I had an ADV bike I'd be happy to be a guide, but my PC800 doesn't like high speed gravel and there's no way a pack of Tigers would follow an XT225!!

Now, if you decide to haul the dirt bikes up I'd be happy to get the 300 EXC out and give you a tour of the woods, creeks, & rocky hills.
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:08 PM   #5
TIGERRIDER007 OP
Studly Adventurer

GlennR, thank you sir for the info.
I'll check out these roads to see what we can make happen.
It seems that area with forest service roads is what we are after....or really curvy streets.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #6
BaldKnob
Gnarly Adventurer

Curvy? NC 80 from Marion to BRP. 226A from Little Switzerland. Freshly repaved last year.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #7
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,294
Take edgemont rd off of 221 Just past the entrance for Grandfather mnt. it'll take you by the Linn Cove Viaduct, it's a neat perspective....that will take you to the globe area....I always get turned around down there so bring a good map. Old NC 105 outside of Marion to Wiseman's view is a nice little road and will dump you out by Lake James....
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,983
If you come over to Wilson Creek area, I would recommend Maple Sally Road. There aren't many places like that left on the east coast. It is FR 187 in the middle. On the south end, you turn off of Adako Road onto Murphy Place. On the north end, it is Maple Grove off of NC 90. There is almost no gravel on it, and when it's tacky, it's almost as fast as pavement. Most of the time, you won't see another soul out there, but be careful.

Old 105, aka Kistler Memorial Highway, runs along the river right side of Linville Gorge and offers really great scenery.

You could work up a twisty run over to the bottom of Maple Sally, over Wilson Ridge to Mortimer and up Pineola (mentioned previously, I think) Dogwood Ridge to NC 183 to the Kistler Highway to NC 226 to Fish Hatchery Road to 181.

Hannah's BBQ in Lenoir rates a "worth it from anywhere" on roadfood.com.

The intersection of Sampson Road and Penley would offer a papparazzi creek crossing. Proceeding on Penley would be interesting, and it does go all the way through to 321....eventually.

The traffic and chafe increase exponentially as you approach Boone/Blowing Rock.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:08 PM   #9
TIGERRIDER007 OP
Studly Adventurer

Gaston Gagne, I appreciate it. I'm slowly putting together a packet!
Thank you all for taking the time to post!
Old 01-13-2015, 07:17 PM   #10
BaldKnob
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm gonna tell you now... Maple Sally is a lot of work with a big bike. Just sayin'.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:47 AM   #11
TIGERRIDER007 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldKnob View Post
I'm gonna tell you now... Maple Sally is a lot of work with a big bike. Just sayin'.
Really? Uh-oh...

Well, I try to plan the other recommendations mentioned, no worries.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:45 AM   #12
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,246
Don't skip Maple Sally. It was excellent. Local cars and trucks use it (a few anyway - cause there's not much out there) Make sure you have plenty of gas - cause there's not much out there.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #13
waldrtw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Richland Gap road off HWY 321 just before Blowing Rock it a pretty sweet Rd. Just be ready!!!!
1994 Honda VFR 750
1998 Harley 1200 sport
waldrtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:20 PM   #14
TIGERRIDER007 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldrtw View Post
Richland Gap road off HWY 321 just before Blowing Rock it a pretty sweet Rd. Just be ready!!!!
Thanks good people! I like that, "Just be ready!!!!"...um for what?
Old 01-16-2015, 09:12 PM   #15
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Thanks good people! I like that, "Just be ready!!!!"...um for what?
You're riding TIGERS!

It's not single track, most of you should make it....and who cares about the ones that can't? You're not a babysitter!!

Seriously, they'll love the ride.
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote