ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #151
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinebuilder
BUMP

Did I kill this thread? I thought someone would enjoy the challenge.
Give it the weekend. There were a couple folks who still had an interest. What's 3 or 4 weeks among friends?

Pat aka Geeeze
daGeeeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #152
TnVFRrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I think I know where it is--I saw a "mine 14" listed between Smoky Junction and Turley on a coal company map. I just don't have the skill level to be comfortable on steep gravel roads (it has something to do with being old and out of shape with zero off road experience). Here's the link where I saw the mine listed:

www.unitedmountaindefense.org/NCCmineSites.htm

Now, someone go get it!
TnVFRrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #153
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnVFRrider
I think I know where it is--I saw a "mine 14" listed between Smoky Junction and Turley on a coal company map. I just don't have the skill level to be comfortable on steep gravel roads (it has something to do with being old and out of shape with zero off road experience). Here's the link where I saw the mine listed:

Now, someone go get it!
Too bad they're not showing the mine roads that service these. I'm glad I didn't pursue the route I was taking on my try. I was out of talent to the point it was difficult just getting turned around to quit the road. It would have taken me out to that mine 3 area and not the 14.

Pat aka Geeeze
Old 07-03-2009, 03:20 AM   #154
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnVFRrider

Now, someone go get it!
I promise the road it's on is not difficult, I have seen cars drive it

If you can find a copy of the Royal blue map the roads are shown very well....but I don't know if someone has started to print it again.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #155
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinebuilder
I promise the road it's on is not difficult, I have seen cars drive it
I was up there last fall on the Tiger. As I rounded a hairpin on Stoney Fork Road, a coal truck tried to swipe my left sidebag. Had to lock up the rear for that one. If the next two weekends weren't filled with FFF (ForcedFamilyFun), I'd be all over this one.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #156
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
I was up there last fall on the Tiger. As I rounded a hairpin on Stoney Fork Road, a coal truck tried to swipe my left sidebag. Had to lock up the rear for that one. If the next two weekends weren't filled with FFF (ForcedFamilyFun), I'd be all over this one.

Do coal trucks add to the dificulty? There has been quite a bit of miniing in that area the last couple years.

The Conveyor coming out of 14 really surprised me the last time I was up there it looked like it does on google earth, just the benches cut and no equipment
Old 07-04-2009, 06:13 AM   #157
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,896
Been lurking here since it started. Just had to comment how the current tag will be a month old in 2 days.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:25 AM   #158
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWannaB
Been lurking here since it started. Just had to comment how the current tag will be a month old in 2 days.

If you think this is a problem go riding and get it, there are ample clues by now.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #159
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Ok it been a while now and although I have an idea of the general vicinity, it not enough to find it. So I am kindly requesting a few more hints. Like some geo coordinants or something.

yankee Dog

I was down in Tellico Plains today and ran into Yankeedog and wife at Minimikes. I was informed that the they still could not figure out its location (and with Ural troubles were on foot)

SO to give directions and hopefully get this tag moving again

from the store in Smokey Junction go north to the top of the hill turn right, this is the haul road about 5.5 miles to tag

OR from Caryville take old 63 north, just past the Red Ash Baptist Church
turn left go over the tracks, this is the other end of the haul road

Coordinates
36 18' 01.28" N
84 16' 35.24" W
Old 07-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #160
kennyh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Got this tag today and will post the pic shortly. Smugmug keeps erroring trying to upload it.
kennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #161
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyh
Got this tag today and will post the pic shortly. Smugmug keeps erroring trying to upload it.
Excellent! Dang wouldn't it suck to get Bruced while you're having technical difficulties?

I was on the phone with a friend who was trying to upload his tag grab in one of the games. While I was trying to walk him through it someone else got their's uploaded first.

Pat aka Geeeze
Old 07-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #162
kennyh
Gnarly Adventurer

Not sure what is up with smuggy, but I still can't upload the pic. Hopefully they will get it fixed eventually.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #163
kennyh
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, smugmug help desk got me going. This was a fun road to find out about. Lots of options in the area for dualsporting. This is just above Caryville off of old highway 63. I knew from previous clues it was in that vicinity, but stumbled across the gravel road out to the mine.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #164
kennyh
Gnarly Adventurer

New tag, though this picture is a few months old. Doesn't look like a road, but it is open to car, truck and bike traffic 7 days a week (though it was not open today hence the older photo).

As far as I know, it is the only remaining one in TN. The northern approach looked like this today.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:53 AM   #165
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyh
Ok, smugmug help desk got me going. This was a fun road to find out about. Lots of options in the area for dualsporting. This is just above Caryville off of old highway 63. I knew from previous clues it was in that vicinity, but stumbled across the gravel road out to the mine.

Awesome, I'm glad you got it without my dirrections, and enjoyed the ride.

I'm thinking the new one is towards Norris. unfortunatly I'll be out of the game for a while, between work and hopefully vacation