ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 03:49 AM   #2011
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBoy420 View Post

Devils triangle is a nice ride far less traffic than the dragon.
Old pic just wanted to add the devils triangle hint as if it wasn't easy enough.
Descending that route can wake you up. You can't see the road on those switchbacks at some points.

Pat aka Geeeze
daGeeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:41 AM   #2012
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBoy420 View Post

Devils triangle is a nice ride far less traffic than the dragon.
Old pic just wanted to add the devils triangle hint as if it wasn't easy enough.
Last time I rode the Triangle I almost got run off the road twice by coal trucks barreling around blind corners into my side of the road. Never again. It is a nice road, but not that nice.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #2013
slime
Healing nicely

Oddometer: 402
I rode up there Sunday! Great ride, no traffic lots of twisties and some gravel roads too!
http://www.timewarpvmc.org/ National #102

Life's a journey, not a destination!
"Another two hours of this play, somebody shoot me"
Abraham Lincoln
slime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #2014
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Oddometer: 235
Well, Sunday might be the only day you don't have to deal with coal trucks. Did you get pushed by the go-fast crowd? Honestly, I understand them and in my younger bulletproof days I was one of them, but I neither want to be in their way nor to get pushed by them to the point I can't smell the roses.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #2015
waspp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
Last time I rode the Triangle I almost got run off the road twice by coal trucks barreling around blind corners into my side of the road. Never again. It is a nice road, but not that nice.
The day I was there there wasn't a coal truck to be found. I spoke with a local and he said the coal trucks run when the price is high enough to make it worth while...which isn't very often. I don't know for sure but it seems the coal biz in those parts is on the decline.
2011 BMW GS
2013 F650GS (the wife"s)
waspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #2016
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waspp View Post
The day I was there there wasn't a coal truck to be found. I spoke with a local and he said the coal trucks run when the price is high enough to make it worth while...which isn't very often. I don't know for sure but it seems the coal biz in those parts is on the decline.
Coal mines in the general area for the most part mine metallurgical coal - has nothing to do with the "energy" industry, it's used for smelting, making steel mostly. While there's some spot market, usually it's fulfilling a short term supply contract and most of it goes overseas. That way of life is mostly confined to miners who have put down roots and are willing to live with boom and bust to a degree coal mining hasn't experienced since the '20s, and it won't last long. I'm a third-generation miner, and the fourth generation won't take it much longer. Sorry to sidetrack into a rant, but without the coal industry you'll be riding those roads on an ISDT bike with a wooden frame.

I try to respect and stay out of the way of the sport riders, and while I'm enjoying the twisties (I live near The Snake) I do know that I can't and am not willing to ride at that level. I try to time my rides for slack times for the crotch rocketeers.

All I can tell you about the trucks is to feel happy for them when they're hauling, because times for them are getting slimmer and slimmer.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:10 AM   #2017
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,863
I have no problems with the coal industry. I like my electric lights and steel is a nice thing to have around as well. What I dont like are big ass dump trucks coming around blind corners on my side of the road.

That said, there are plenty of other roads less traveled for me to ride on. I will go find them.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #2018
DragonNester
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
If this tag is still around in a few weeks I plan to go after it...probably on a Sunday. I'd rather face off against a Suzuki or Yamaha than a Mack.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #2019
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
I was going that way tommorow.........but work is interfering with my play
Old 08-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #2020
Dogscout
Been there done that

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
I have no problems with the coal industry. I like my electric lights and steel is a nice thing to have around as well. What I dont like are big ass dump trucks coming around blind corners on my side of the road.

That said, there are plenty of other roads less traveled for me to ride on. I will go find them.
Yeah, Its their road though too. They were hauling coal and making a living before some idiot gave that road a cute name. They do not care that you are there, and basically you're just a nuisance. Now if you really want to dodge trucks (no pun) go ride the haul road to Prudhoe.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #2021
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogscout View Post
Yeah, Its their road though too. They were hauling coal and making a living before some idiot gave that road a cute name. They do not care that you are there, and basically you're just a nuisance. Now if you really want to dodge trucks (no pun) go ride the haul road to Prudhoe.
You know, for the most part you/we aren't a nuisance at all, a very large percentage of the truckers ride on their days off and really respect motorcyclists. I'd say the average coal truck driver would put his truck into the creek rather than hit you ... but, you're on the more nimble vehicle and they simply can't stop/turn a coal truck that quickly - I've driven/ridden both. Bear in mind that they're in a hurry, too, as time is money to them - a lot of money just for making one more trip to the dock before it closes. We're talking hundreds of dollars for just one more trip. Despite that, the majority of them are on your side if you just give them a chance to be, and they will make sacrifices on your behalf. Of course, there are a few assholes but they usually wash out as the other drivers despise them.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #2022
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Quote:

That's a healthy and safe way to see things, I applaude your attitude.

As to coal being necessary, I'm a third generation miner (retired), and I'll be the first to say that coal as an energy source is at this point in time a transitional energy source. My granddaddy would take a belt to me for saying it (not really, we got along great) but there's no long term future in coal for energy unless some drastically cleaner and efficient way of using it comes along soon. I think it's use in metallurgy will last longer, but even that is limited too. I'm not a "greenie", but the facts smack you right in the face and it's better to accept it and look for better tech or better energy sources than to stand your ground and get gradually beaten down by the real world.

I miss mining, despite all the downside I thought working underground was great fun. I wish more people had an opportunity to experience being a miner, but the door is slowly swinging shut on that life. I'm not sure that's a bad thing, all things considered.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #2023
DragonNester
Gnarly Adventurer

Got it!! Closed state prison on hwy116, just outside Petros, TN

DragonNester screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 03:16 AM
DragonNester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #2024
DragonNester
Gnarly Adventurer

Now go West and North to a historical English settlement. Take the walking tour (includes a movie) while there and find out why it failed.

DragonNester screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 03:21 AM
DragonNester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #2025
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonNester View Post
Got it!!

Almost Bruced me, I decided to ride south today.