ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #211
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,642
Bruce me once....

I'll have the next tag ASAP.

This was a good ride! I've passed that road 100 times (Mill Creek) and didn't know anything like this was out there.

Oh yeah, It's on top of Holston Mountain... it would probably help if I mentioned that!

FlySniper screwed with this post 07-16-2009 at 06:48 PM
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #212
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper

This was a good ride! I've passed that road 100 times (Mill Creek) and didn't know anything like this was out there.

Oh yeah, It's on top of Holston Mountain... it would probably help if I mentioned that!
Ahhh. I was looking around Clinch Mountain. I didn't put much effort into it though. If it had come up easily I might have gone after it.

Where next? I haven't snagged a tag for a bit and I got my GPS back from Garmin's repair in only a week.

Pat aka Geeeze
daGeeeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #213
strongmendieyoung
KLR Lover

Oddometer: 499
Quote:

i've been up there a couple of times. gotta watch out for folks screamin down the mountain in their ghetto sleds.
strongmendieyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #214
FlySniper
Bleh...

New tag:

There are natural balds that can be seen from this vantaqge point that was formerly the site of a hotel. (The bikes are parked on the remains of the foundation.) This is truely one of the most beautiful spots in the area with views stretching into both Tennessee and North Carolina.
Other notable things that can be found here include some old Indian graves and a fantastic waterfall. You may even run into a through hiker or two.

This tag is doable on a street bike. (EDIT: It can be done on a streetbike with some care. There are some gravel/rocky places on the way up, be careful if it's wet.)

FlySniper screwed with this post 07-16-2009 at 07:54 PM
Old 07-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #215
FlySniper
Bleh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmendieyoung
i've been up there a couple of times. gotta watch out for folks screamin down the mountain in their ghetto sleds.
Ever been down the trail that forks off near the end of the gravel road? I was thinking about trying it, but I was alone and running out of daylight.

I'm going to go back and check it out. Anyone up to going along?
Old 07-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #216
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:
New tag:

There are natural balds that can be seen from this vantaqge point that was formerly the site of a hotel. (The bikes are parked on the remains of the foundation.) This is truely one of the most beautiful spots in the area with views stretching into both Tennessee and North Carolina.
Other notable things that can be found here include some old Indian graves and a fantastic waterfall. You may even run into a through hiker or two.

This tag is doable on a street bike. (EDIT: It can be done on a streetbike with some care. There are some gravel/rocky places on the way up, be careful if it's wet.)

What are the rules here? Been there, got the picture, but it was back in April. Go or no go?

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #217
strongmendieyoung
KLR Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119
What are the rules here? Been there, got the picture, but it was back in April. Go or no go?
i've got the picture too, but rules say you can't use a file photo to grab a tag, only to place one. it would make for a nice commute to work in the morning though.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #218
FlySniper
Bleh...

I knew that one was going to be too easy.

There was another place I was going to tag, but I wasn't sure if I get to it in a reasonable amount of time and I didn't want to hold things up.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:51 AM   #219
strongmendieyoung
KLR Lover

well, i was going to try and get this one this morning. got up, no rain in johnson city, get to erwin and its a monsoon, so i guess i will have to wait til this afternoon.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #220
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Quote:

There was another place I was going to tag, but I wasn't sure if I get to it in a reasonable amount of time and I didn't want to hold things up.
Nuttin wrong with an easy tag. It makes for a mad dash to get to it first. With proper technology folks like me can enjoy taggin it on the spot and watching the Bruced line up.

Trouble is I had the wrong place in mind I suspect. We'll see soon. I didn't really think you could see NC from where I thought anyway so I wasn't on my way there.

Pat aka Geeeze
Old 07-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #221
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Quote:

>sigh<

I didn't really do enough research to find this before setting out. I was kinda thinking to go check out the MOA rally in Johnson City then run up to snag VA's tag. As I was cruising up I saw the sign for Erwin and thought I'd take a poke around. I just randomly headed to the mountains and saw some ..uh.. local looking fellas loading logs into a pickup. My guess was they knew all the hills around. I pulled in, swam my way through about 30 dogs, and asked if they knew of a burned out hotel in the hills where one could see several balds and lots of NC. Yup. Great, this'll be easy.

I followed their directions and ended up stopping once more for an opportunistic query with a woman very near where I was headed. "Hotel? Nope. Not up there." Hm. Dang. Upon further questioning she did admit that there was a SKI LODGE that had been destroyed. D'OH! Yeah, that's hugely different. So I continued. As I'm climbing this long gravel road I can't help but notice it's been disturbed a lot recently. In my mind's eye I'm seeing half the ADV population beating me to this.

Imagine my surprise as I come to the top and there's a magnificent view. Of dozens of 4x4s and a picnic being set up. I rode up and talked to some guy who clearly wanted to talk to me. They were Masons setting up a party. They assured me that there was no concrete foundation up there. Of course they wouldn't let me go up where they were hiding the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail just to see.

One old guy called down another old guy and together they told me of another old hotel at Round Knob that matched what I wanted. Some rough basic directions and I was off and running again! Nothing like sliding down a gravel road and meeting more 4x4s headed up the hill rapidly. Back onto pavement, then right and back onto gravel. All according to plan.

I came around a bend and there's a big ole redneck with his KLR 650. He just looked like he was gonna call me Bruce. I stopped of course to take my medicine. Turns out he's a cop (or something) and not an ADV player so no tag for him. Yay! I told him of my quest and he assured me I was wasting my time but he knew of a burned out hotel. Hm. I asked if there was a good view from that one. "Nope" Well it wasn't the one. I called Jeff2051 and he read the exact clue to my new buddy. Waterfall? Balds? Oh yeah, that's up at Round Knob. I know where that is; follow me.

So off we go. Well sorta. First gear. OOOh, second. Nope, back to first. Then we saw old Mr. Gunner (Gunnar?) sitting in his front yard and stopped to ask him if he knew about the hotel. "aYup" He started telling us exactly how to get there when my new bud Jim interrupts him. "Yeah, that's where we were going. Thanks." Off we go. Very quickly it becomes obvious that he's lost. We ride right past a road called Round Mountain Rd. and keep going. In a while he pulls off the road and tries to scratch his head except he has to take his helmet off first. He starts to make a (nother) phone call to a bud to ask when I punch up the Round Mountain road and point to it. "Yeah, that's it!" Off we go again this time with ME leading. I'd ride a little, pull over and grab my water bottle to take a break while he caught up. Then off again. We got to the top and the road split. I waited to tell my new bud I was going one way. He said he'd go the other way and wait for me at the picnic area.

I blazed up the hill to -- the picnic area. There was a steep rough 4x4 trail next to it but I didn't want to take my shot today. I turned around and hit the other road. There was my bud at the NOT picnic area. While we were discussing things a coupla good-ole boys showed up on quads. They'd been out hunting rattle snakes and showed us some cell phone pics of some recent ones. DAYUMM they had pics of some BIG rattle snakes. One of them pointed up an ever decreasing gravel path up the hill and said there was something up there. My new bud waited behind while I flew up that trail. I was getting beat to death by branches, yanked around in erosion cracks, and slogged through a large mud puddle only to find a locked gate.

After about 5 minutes of turning around on a steep gravel hillside I cruised back down and noted my bud wasn't there. Actually a good thing. I turned things up a ways and started blazing down the hill again. I came sliding around a turn and there in the middle of the road facing me was THE BIGGEST HEALTHIEST BLACK BEAR I'D EVER SEEN. I skidded to a stop. He stood a second tossing his head all crazy like while my pulse redlined and I tried to calculate my odds of wheeling around 180 degrees and outrunning him. Then he took off running AWAY from me but just down the road. I started blowing my horn and riding around the curves until I was sure he must have finally ducked off.

At that point I was done hunting and headed on up to Johnson City.

For your entertainment here's a pic of my path:

And for those sickos who want to see some of these crazy places themselves here's my GPX log:

http://www.patdonahue.com/tntag/ETN-MOA.gpx

All in all a fantastic day of riding. However I have to concede that in the end it was an EPIC FAIL for getting the tag.

Pat aka Geeeze
Old 07-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #222
strongmendieyoung
KLR Lover

moral of story: never trust anyone from erwin
Old 07-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #223
FlySniper
Bleh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGeeeze
>sigh<

I didn't really do enough research to find this before setting out. ..............

And for those sickos who want to see some of these crazy places themselves here's my GPX log:

http://www.patdonahue.com/tntag/ETN-MOA.gpx

All in all a fantastic day of riding. However I have to concede that in the end it was an EPIC FAIL for getting the tag.
Now I'm not sure if I should feel bad for you or laugh with relief that my tag wasn't overly easy to get.... .

You were close though!

I hate that you didn't find it. I won't spoil it in case you want to try again, but I will say that almost every sentence in my tag post has a clue in it (but none for the exact spot)... some clues are "almost" the actual names of places nearby. This overlook is nearly a mile high and from it can be seen the tallest peak east of the Mississippi, Mt. Mitchell, which is 6.600ft, it is in Tennessee, but just barely.

FlySniper screwed with this post 07-18-2009 at 09:53 PM
Old 07-18-2009, 10:48 PM   #224
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
You were close. It's a damn nice ride.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:43 AM   #225
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmendieyoung
moral of story: never trust anyone from erwin

It was a fantastic day to ride and I had a ball chasing this one.

Sniper; I figured there were a lot of clues and the falls combined with the location Jim said were sorta close together from what he "knew". In the end I wish I had just followed the directions the old guys gave me. I think they told me right but Jim scrambled me. Well, at least as far as finding that burned out hotel. Maybe not the right one.

I'm hoping somebody else can snag that one today. I'm going riding the opposite direction today.

Pat aka Geeeze