ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 06:38 AM   #2311
RUSTINPEACE
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonNester View Post
Holy Tag Game...Batman!!

RUSTY, Do you eat, sleep or work?
Yep it's called being 24 and single and I do have a full time job got to have money to pay for motorcycle expenses. But my employer is going to let me have June off to ride to Alaska anyone want to join me?
RUSTINPEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #2312
DragonNester
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTINPEACE View Post
...my employer is going to let me have June off to ride to Alaska anyone want to join me?
I hope the trip works out for ya! I cruised, by ship, the Alaskan coast some years back. What a naturally rich and breathtaking place. Please keep a journal and corresponding pix of your adventure for us armchair adventurers. June is still quite chilly there, at least for camping (by most folks standards). Oh yeah, you're 24.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #2313
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
I hope the trip works out for ya! I cruised, by ship, the Alaskan coast some years back. What a naturally rich and breathtaking place. Please keep a journal and corresponding pix of your adventure for us armchair adventurers. June is still quite chilly there, at least for camping (by most folks standards). Oh yeah, you're 24.
And If you can swing it get a SPOT device. That way folks'll know where to check the bears.

Pat aka Geeeze
daGeeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #2314
RUSTINPEACE
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Thanks I'll try to take some pictures but I'm very bad about taking pictures seems like i'm always thinking in my head i'm to busy riding to stop and take a picture. I'm thinking the general temperature range will be 30 to 70 and I will be carrying riding gear good for about 15 degrees with me and the weak point being my helmet in temperatures in the single digits the dang helmet won't defrost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGeeeze View Post
And If you can swing it get a SPOT device. That way folks'll know where to check the bears.
Thanks for the advice I like the idea of getting a spot but I don't think i'll have the money I think I'm going to put buying a gps ahead of the spot. And since my vacation just got approved Monday and I've never been on a month long ride before I have a bunch of planning to do and stuff to buy I don't even own a tent yet, a dry bag, or any soft luggage.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #2315
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Quote:
Thanks I'll try to take some pictures but I'm very bad about taking pictures seems like i'm always thinking in my head i'm to busy riding to stop and take a picture. I'm thinking the general temperature range will be 30 to 70 and I will be carrying riding gear good for about 15 degrees with me and the weak point being my helmet in temperatures in the single digits the dang helmet won't defrost.

Thanks for the advice I like the idea of getting a spot but I don't think i'll have the money I think I'm going to put buying a gps ahead of the spot. And since my vacation just got approved Monday and I've never been on a month long ride before I have a bunch of planning to do and stuff to buy I don't even own a tent yet, a dry bag, or any soft luggage.
I see you're in Knoxville; I'm up in White Pine. I used to use a stick in liner on my visor to keep it fog free. I don't know what it was called but I know those are still around. Other than that keeping a flow of warm dry air in the helmet helps. I wonder if you can do some funky plumbing to bring engine heat up.

Are you a member of REI? They rent some nice camping equipment. Or at least they used to. Haven't ever rented and it's been a long time. That's how they got their start.

Pat aka Geeeze
Old 03-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #2316
ccrider72
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Hey rustinpeace get a pinlock shield,it's the only shield I've found that will not fog. That Alaska trip as sounds awesome. Definitely do a ride report

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
ccrider72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #2317
RUSTINPEACE
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGeeeze View Post
I see you're in Knoxville; I'm up in White Pine. I used to use a stick in liner on my visor to keep it fog free. I don't know what it was called but I know those are still around. Other than that keeping a flow of warm dry air in the helmet helps. I wonder if you can do some funky plumbing to bring engine heat up.

Are you a member of REI? They rent some nice camping equipment. Or at least they used to. Haven't ever rented and it's been a long time. That's how they got their start.
Yep i'm in Knoxville and I am hoping your tag game will move i'm tired of holding the tag http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...79533&page=125

Thanks I had never heard of REI and I know they make pin locked visors and heated snowmobile visors but I just haven't spent the money because the temperature is rarely in the single digits in East TN and Hopefully it won't get that cold in June on the way to Alaska.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #2318
RUSTINPEACE
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider72 View Post
Hey rustinpeace get a pinlock shield,it's the only shield I've found that will not fog. That Alaska trip as sounds awesome. Definitely do a ride report

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
Thanks for the advice I took a look at those fancy Shoei Helmets with pinlock shields back on January 10 at Cycle Gear after almost freezing my eyelids shut to my eyeballs at about 12:05 A.M. on January 7 but the price of $750 for the Shoei Neotec in my mind said "don't let the weather limit your ride" and I thought you know i'm 23 I never remember it getting this cold in Knoxville this is a one time thing well I was wrong Jan. 29 was colder. I would do a ride report but i'm a very bad writer and I don't stop very often to take pictures.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:32 AM   #2319
hillbillyhonda
corn fused

Oddometer: 209
SCOTT makes a "No-Fog Cloth" that works pretty good. On a clean shield, just rub the cloth over it real good and it leaves a coating. I had some and used them all. They seem to work pretty good down to freezing or just a little under. They're definitely worth having one in your backpack or tank bag, or where ever.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:55 AM   #2320
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Quote:
Yep i'm in Knoxville and I am hoping your tag game will move i'm tired of holding the tag http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...79533&page=125

Thanks I had never heard of REI.
I just got an ad from REI and went to their website. They're a little weak in TN but have some big stores in NC. If you put rentals into their search it brings you the list of stores that have stuff and the kinds of stuff they have. I need to hit the Charlotte, NC store myself but not for rentals.

The anti-fog liner I spoke of was used on whatever helmet you have. It has an adhesive border that you stick to the inside of your visor. You do need to be very careful about lining it up. They make them tinted too. You won't have to worry about riding after dark.

Pat aka Geeeze
Old 03-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #2321
RUSTINPEACE
Motorcyclist

Thanks

Thanks for all the useful info but I don't want to hijack this thread this is a tag thread after all.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:29 AM   #2322
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
New REI store opening in Knoxville, Papermill and Kingston Pike I am told. Might be open before your trip.
DRZ 400
Harley Road Glide
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #2323
bone13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Damn, I was near there yesterday while scounting roads for March Moto Madness. Figured as nice a day as it was yesterday someone would have already went and pick up the tag.... what I get for assuming... lol

www.ridgerunneradventures.com
bone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #2324
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 142
Can't believe no one got this before now... But I'm glad no one has.

Grab!

peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #2325
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 142
New tag....

Hint: It's on a dead end road where one might expect to find a Tower. The road is in a place that has delusions of grandeur regarding how high it is.

Directly behind me in the tag pic is this view...

peejman is offline   Reply With Quote