ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #2521
wjfawb0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Yeah, I probably won't get that one. While the WR250R could make it up there, it would take a long time or not be much fun if I was slabbing it. I did get to ride up on big frog mtn and through some areas I haven't been before. The whole round trip today was about 125 miles, and my gas tank (2 gallons) was almost empty when I pulled into the house. I need a real street bike like I need a hole in the head, though.

http://www.fawbush.org/images/2014_6...phototag_3.JPG
wjfawb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:00 AM   #2522
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider72 View Post
New tag. Do yourself a favor and spend enough time at this one to get a big burger yum.

Hey, is it "legal" to switch bikes? I was thinking of doing that the other day. Nice tag, not seen that place, well maybe.., so gonna be trying to finger it out..

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:03 AM   #2523
DragonNester
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Sure, you can switch bikes. It's been done many times. I figure if you still own the bike in the photo (file or in real time) it should be legal to use as a new tag. Any objections, please comment.

DragonNester screwed with this post 06-28-2014 at 06:00 AM
DragonNester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:16 AM   #2524
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 745
This isn't a new tag, just thought I'd share with the local group.. if you think a WR250R is too small, then you'd be mistaken. How about a Suzuki 110 step through, with a Kawasaki motor. This is Ernscht, and his scooter Lyly. He has ridden this around the world over that past three years. Yup, Far East, Russia, Mongolia, Mid East, Europe, US, etc. 62000 Km worth. I found him over at the Cherohala Visitors center in Tellico Plains (I was dropping off some flyers for our bed and breakfast inn) and immediately invited him to stay with me once I started talking to him. Check out the amount of gear he has with him, for RTW travel. amazing story, I haven't talked that much with somebody in a long time..

I'm sure like me, you'd ask "why?" He's had many regular bikes, but found he just blasted along, made lots of miles, but didn't "see" anything. So he rented a scooter in Vietnam once and enjoyed the pace and seeing things. So he bought this bike and it forces him to travel at 25-35 mph and see and interact with everybody and everything.

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:34 AM   #2525
ccrider72
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggi'tard View Post
Hey, is it "legal" to switch bikes? I was thinking of doing that the other day. Nice tag, not seen that place, well maybe.., so gonna be trying to finger it out..
I'll admit this is a "file" photo from a couple of weeks ago for me . :) Which is legal to use as the new tag in our game but it's not that way in some of the other tag games. I have a couple of back up tags saved like this. But a couple of times before I've literally grabbed a tag on one bike and then switched to the other and taken off again. I really didn't want to use this tag because we've had 4 really good tags in a row and now it's back to "takin a picture on the side of the road". It's really close to some good riding areas though. Hint if you Google the full name of this place it will pop right up :)

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
ccrider72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:58 AM   #2526
ccrider72
Adventurer

Hey Baggi'tard that's cool story on the round the world traveler. I guess it's been proven if your determined enough you can make it work.

Wjfawb0 that Wr250 would be so sweet to ride off road I wouldn't care how it road on the street :) On the other hand I looked at some of the new 1200 GS and I could not imagine taking that monster on a trail. Those are some skilled riders that do it. My DR is in the middle sort of porky for the trails but still pretty good road bike. I really think the smaller 250s maybe the best dual sports though just for having fun on.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #2527
monjorrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Got it! Now off to find a new one
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1403964693044.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  53.6 KB
Old 06-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #2528
wjfawb0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
The WR250R is not too small to do it. I just don't enjoy riding it on the highway at all. Doing 55mph on it for any distance isn't what I'd call a good time. I've got a small kid and a wife that works weekends, so I only get windows of a few hours to go ride. Maybe in 20 years I'll be able to spend days going places, but not now. The funny part is my wife is thinking of driving up to Gatlinburg with the kid tomorrow to meet her girlfriend. I hate going there. Hell, I hate driving to downtown Chattanooga everyday to work. I do miss my FZ1 for the longer trips.
wjfawb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #2529
monjorrow
Gnarly Adventurer

New tag. Birthplace of a U.S. congressman, soldier, and outdoors man. Grew up around these parts and died in the battle at the Alamo. Also known as "king of the wild frontier."Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1403981756680.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  93.7 KB
Old 07-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #2530
monjorrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Are the clues to vague? Or is everyone just to busy gearing up for the holiday weekend?
Old 07-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #2531
ccrider72
Adventurer

Great tag and the clues are just fine. I thought it would be grabbed by now. There's a perfect tag to complement your tag over here in blount county. I'm pretty much confined close to home during the week. Someone else needs to play because I'm running out of tag ideas :)

Old 07-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #2532
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider72 View Post
Great tag and the clues are just fine. I thought it would be grabbed by now. There's a perfect tag to complement your tag over here in blount county. I'm pretty much confined close to home during the week. Someone else needs to play because I'm running out of tag ideas :)

Same here. I've been there before and know exactly where it is, just too far for me to get there and back after work. I normally take the "scenic" route home, but the wife doesn't like it when that takes 3 hours.
peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:56 PM   #2533
kmw
Adventure. Er...

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by monjorrow View Post
Are the clues to vague? Or is everyone just to busy gearing up for the holiday weekend?
I'm leaving in about six hours to go get the North American tag and the Appalachian tag. If I'm lucky I can grab this one, too, since it'll be on my way back home!
kmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #2534
ccrider72
Adventurer

My goodness, I'd forgotten what a great motorcycle movie Delta Force is. A KLR 650 and Chuck Norris is LETHAL! Back to tagging someone needs to grab this one.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #2535
kmw
Adventure. Er...

Oddometer: 122
I grabbed NA and Appalachian on Friday, about a 510-mile day on the new-ish S10, and then decided against going for this one because I thought someone would have already snagged it. If this one is still here Friday night I may try for a Saturday sunrise grab.

Considering I know squat about Eastern TN, y'all probably don't want to let this sit long enough for a kid from NC grab it
kmw is offline   Reply With Quote