ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #2566
cleanerman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
New Tag

If you were lost on the mountain and needed gas and grub, this would have been the place.

XT250 2009
DL650 2011
Gl1800 2008
cleanerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:25 PM   #2567
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 745
One minute to spare cleanerman... cuttin 'er close!

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #2568
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningMoto View Post
I would love a ride in the 50's. I'm so tired of sweating, even when I wear my mesh jacket. High is 82 in Knoxville. Same think in Lake City where I'm riding to today.
Didn't you hear, it's not Lake City anymore... its Rocky Top now.
peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #2569
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by peejman View Post
Didn't you hear, it's not Lake City anymore... its Rocky Top now.
Are you guys talking about Coal Creek? How would you like to live in 3 different cities without ever moving?
Old 07-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #2570
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGeeeze View Post
Are you guys talking about Coal Creek? How would you like to live in 3 different cities without ever moving?
No apparently Lake City just voted to change the town name to Rocky Top.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #2571
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggi'tard View Post
No apparently Lake City just voted to change the town name to Rocky Top.
The town was originally named Coal Creek when it was founded in the early 19th century, after the 1798 Treaty of Tellico opened the area to settlement,[7] taking its name from the stream that runs through the town. Coal Creek and the nearby town of Briceville were the site of a major lockout of coal miners in 1891, which resulted in the town of Coal Creek being occupied by the state militia for over a year after miners attempted to force an end to the use of unpaid convict labor in the mines. This labor struggle, known as the Coal Creek War, was eventually resolved in the coal miners' favor with the abolition of Tennessee's convict labor program. The Fraterville Mine disaster of 1902 occurred nearby, in the village of Fraterville.
Renaming to "Lake City" (1936)[edit]
The name "Lake City" was adopted in 1936 after the completion of nearby Norris Dam formed an artificial lake above the dam. Some area residents, including the nonprofit Coal Creek Watershed Foundation, have urged a return to the old name of "Coal Creek" to commemorate the community's heritage.[8]
Old 07-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #2572
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
sorry for the misplaced question

Was trying to find a better thread to put this question in, but couldn't so if anyone can offer information, that would be awesome.

Is there a nice route of off-roading near the Dragon and/or the Cherohala, for big bikes (990, Tiger 955, etc)?

A bunch of us will be up at the Ironhorse in September and was thinking about going off road with a group of big bikes if we can find a decent route.

I've been under the Cherohala and taken the road (River something?) that parallels the Cherohala.

Thanks for any guidance you may offer, and sorry again for putting this up in here.
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #2573
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Was trying to find a better thread to put this question in, but couldn't so if anyone can offer information, that would be awesome.

Is there a nice route of off-roading near the Dragon and/or the Cherohala, for big bikes (990, Tiger 955, etc)?

A bunch of us will be up at the Ironhorse in September and was thinking about going off road with a group of big bikes if we can find a decent route.

I've been under the Cherohala and taken the road (River something?) that parallels the Cherohala.

Thanks for any guidance you may offer, and sorry again for putting this up in here.
Pretty much any of the gravel roads around the Citico/Tellico area are fine for big bikes. There might be a few spots that present a bit of challenge if its wet, but generally they're kept in pretty good shape.

Citico road was potholed, but otherwise fine. Cold Springs Rd, Doublecamp Creek Rd, Bald River Rd, Green Cove Rd, Joe Brown Hwy, ... there's a bunch of stuff further west/south that I'm not real familiar with.
peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #2574
hillbillyhonda
corn fused

Oddometer: 322
Quote:

Take a look at this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234680
Old 07-19-2014, 05:16 AM   #2575
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Quote:

Also.. take a look at my thread. Python just posted one track with about four roads on it. I've been making more day ride loops in the area (and working on more).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=992759

To answer your initial question, Take FR81 from the Skyway/Joyce Kilmer turnoff intersection. The road is right behind the little pull=off info signs at the corner. It goes back up to Stratton Meadow (there are one or two deadend roads worth exploring up too, like for the historic Swain's cabin) where you can then pick up North River Rd. Other things nearby are Little Snowbird to Porterfield Gap road, which then turns into FR341 (or is it 304?) which then dumps down to Andrews.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #2576
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

thanks

Hey thanks guys for those links and those suggestions...I'm going to plot some out on the map and see what kind of route I can make.
Seems most of them are west of 68...
I appreciate the help!
Old 07-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #2577
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

trail 82

Okay, was trying to find trail 82, any idea of how to get to it?
Thanks again!
Old 07-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #2578
hillbillyhonda
corn fused

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Okay, was trying to find trail 82, any idea of how to get to it?
Thanks again!
Should be able to get to it from HWY 68 between Coker Creek and Turtletown. Check out Nat Geo maps. They show all the Forest Service Roads.
There is a page in this thread that shows trail 81, which isn't too far from 82. Somewhere around page 223 using Tapatalk. Dragonnester has some maps of this area.

hillbillyhonda screwed with this post 07-19-2014 at 09:11 AM
hillbillyhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #2579
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyhonda View Post
Should be able to get to it from HWY 68 between Coker Creek and Turtletown. Check out Nat Geo maps. They show all the Forest Service Roads.
There is a page in this thread that shows trail 81, which isn't too far from 82. Somewhere around page 223 using Tapatalk. Dragonnester has some maps of this area.
Think you could ride the big bikes here, like a 990 or Tiger? (Average rider ability, really)
Old 07-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #2580
ccrider72
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
East Tennessee Tag-O-Rama!

I don't think I would. I've got a dr650 and if it's muddy those trails are a handful for me. I read a few weeks ago trail 81 had some trees down so not sure if it's been cleared?

ccrider72 screwed with this post 07-19-2014 at 12:48 PM Reason: more info
ccrider72 is offline   Reply With Quote