ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #1336
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,626
Nice Work ABHulgan!

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #1337
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 2,003
Is there a Carter County backroads expert around here?

I've been exploring around between Watauga Lake, Stone Mtn, & Mountain City. I've found some pretty good trails so far, but I'm sure there are probably lots of others to discover.

My National Geographic map shows Fire Tower Rd crossing the mountain & connecting Hwy 167 to Hwy 67, but I just found a gated dead-end. Can anybody show me the way across?
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #1338
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Well, nevermind about Fire Tower Rd.

I went back over there today & met some locals who pointed me in the right direction. One guy had a metal fab shop and said he could make the spacers to fit up the SV650 wheels to motard my WR450. So, I had an extra good afternoon.

When I got up to the fire tower there were a couple of guys on dirt bikes there. Since I was riding alone they said I was welcome to ride with them, which was a lot more fun than having to be cautious by myself. They told me about some other good riding that I'll have to check out.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #1339
Aarrff
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Well, nevermind about Fire Tower Rd.

I went back over there today & met some locals who pointed me in the right direction. One guy had a metal fab shop and said he could make the spacers to fit up the SV650 wheels to motard my WR450. So, I had an extra good afternoon.

When I got up to the fire tower there were a couple of guys on dirt bikes there. Since I was riding alone they said I was welcome to ride with them, which was a lot more fun than having to be cautious by myself. They told me about some other good riding that I'll have to check out.
Well....did Fire Tower go all the way through from Roan Creek?

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #1340
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

It does, but I didn't ride all the way down to Hwy 67. We tore up the trails all over the mountain top a couple hours and I realized it was time to head back home for "Grill Duty".

Btw, The guys I'd met at the metal shop told me that the Gov't is planning to make the mountain a "recreation area", so it will be officially open for riding. There will be a parking area and probably a minimal fee. I don't know the planned date, or any details, but it's exciting to have it happening so close to home for me.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #1341
peripateo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Hey GlennR, not a Carter County expert but a resident and I've been exploring. Mostly forest service roads. Dennis Cove to Walnut Mtn road is a good one too. We should rude together if you live in the area.
peripateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #1342
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

peripateo,

That would be good.

I've ridden Walnut Mtn going across from Elk Mills over to Roan Mtn, and also rode Little Stoney Creek road from the lake up to the mountain, looped around White Oak (saw the rear of a Bear crossing the road there) and back down to Elk Mills.

That's the only rides I've done over there so far. I'm looking forward to checking out Dennis Cove, Tower Rd, Laurel Fork, etc. It would really be great to find some trails up there.

I'll shoot you a PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #1343
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
bump,

I hope everybody's just working too much (I know that isn't true for a couple retired people)

I can't keep up with things working 60hrs /week
Old 08-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #1344
DriftDragon
Wanderer

Oddometer: 202
How long yall gonna sit in the AC?

grab

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
DriftDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #1345
DriftDragon
Wanderer

Since yall had trouble with the clues for the last tag I went and found some reference material to tell you were that last tag was. So now all you have to do is find the reference material which is our new tag.

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
Old 08-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #1346
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,114
Nice work, nice follow-up tag. I think Chatty is where this Tag-a-rama goes to die....
Old 08-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #1347
dcarlisle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
riding buddy

I live between Dayton and Piikeville just north of Chattanooga. I am looking for a riding buddy. I am retired and my wife will let me ride anytime. I ride dual sport on a super sherpa and am happy on single track, dirt or gravel. I would like to do some long rides while camping along the way or day trips. I have ridden most of what tellico has to offer and am looking for new rides.
Also, I would liike to do some of the long rides that have gps files available on this site but am not computer smart enough to download them, if anyone is willng to tutor me I would be grateful.
Don Carlisle
423-650-9773
dcarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #1348
DriftDragon
Wanderer

Well you can probably go a lot of places I can't take my 1200gsa but I would love to get as many offroad miles as I can and I am definitely into exploring. I would love to find someone to explore with. I usually only have the weekends though. Wr can maybe explore prentice cooper some together if that sounds good to you? Or pretty much anything... I have no boundaries, just skill limits which i am eager to expand.

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
Old 08-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #1349
DriftDragon
Wanderer

Come on guys, here's another clue... its really way too easy.

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
Old 08-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #1350
bajavet
Bajavet

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftDragon View Post
Well you can probably go a lot of places I can't take my 1200gsa but I would love to get as many offroad miles as I can and I am definitely into exploring. I would love to find someone to explore with. I usually only have the weekends though. Wr can maybe explore prentice cooper some together if that sounds good to you? Or pretty much anything... I have no boundaries, just skill limits which i am eager to expand.
Watch out for the chiggers in Prentice Cooper. I got a serious case there a few weeks ago.