Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
snoid OP
100% Okie

Oddometer: 28,379
dirt rider's 450 enduro bike shootout...

the new issue. good article.

they picked the husaberg. said the bmw was pretty much junk and thought the husky was more of an oddly tame trail bike than a competitive enduro machine. they'd only compare its improvements to old huskys.

they loved the crf-x, xcw, klx, wr...

nice mods listed, the 'hot' and 'not' section is as always, tiny. i'd like to see more of that sort of info in a breakout box and hear more what the riders had to say in the official story. if you're thinking about buying any of these bikes, there's some valuable info in there.

me
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
My local Border's still only has last month's Dirt Rider mag. I was there yesterday, no joy.

The Husky's are always penalized for weight and heavy feel. Having ridden the 450 Husky next to my own '07 WR250, I honestly didn't mind the weight of the Husky at all. The stability in sand and rocks was great, it turned well and the front stuck well in loose, off camber scree. I liked it. My buddy loved my WR.
Jeeez, maybe we should have traded right there! My WR is more nimble in tight single track but not much in it. I could adapt to the Husky in a day of riding. But I bought my WR for only one reason: IT DOES NOT BREAK I only wish now I'd gotten the 450 instead.

Long term reliability and maintenance is another area Jimmy and company need to talk more about. They do a few long term wrap ups but should do more. I guess Moto cross guys don't care about this .... they all seem to buy a new bike every couple years.
But how about NOW? Old Enduro and trail riders are the cheapest bastards on the planet and come from old XR's and such. We want
bikes that fucking last and last and last. Can't afford new bikes every year!!!!

The Honda's handling is magic .... you can get on and go fast right away.
I've not ridden the new KX but I hear it wins the class. If/when Kawi make the KLX450 street legal ... I'm buying one. Meanwhile I keep my WR250.

Did Dirt Rider rate the bikes? Like 1 to 6 ?
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
My local Border's still only has last month's Dirt Rider mag. I was there yesterday, no joy.

The Husky's are always penalized for weight and heavy feel. Having ridden the 450 Husky next to my own '07 WR250, I honestly didn't mind the weight of the Husky at all. The stability in sand and rocks was great, it turned well and the front stuck well in loose, off camber scree. I liked it. My buddy loved my WR.
Jeeez, maybe we should have traded right there! My WR is more nimble in tight single track but not much in it. I could adapt to the Husky in a day of riding. But I bought my WR for only one reason: IT DOES NOT BREAK I only wish now I'd gotten the 450 instead.

Long term reliability and maintenance is another area Jimmy and company need to talk more about. They do a few long term wrap ups but should do more. I guess Moto cross guys don't care about this .... they all seem to buy a new bike every couple years.
But how about NOW? Old Enduro and trail riders are the cheapest bastards on the planet and come from old XR's and such. We want
bikes that fucking last and last and last. Can't afford new bikes every year!!!!

The Honda's handling is magic .... you can get on and go fast right away.
I've not ridden the new KX but I hear it wins the class. If/when Kawi make the KLX450 street legal ... I'm buying one. Meanwhile I keep my WR250.

I just got my copy and read the shootout last night.

To me it looked like Husaberg 1st, KTM 2nd, KLX 3rd,
Honda/Yamaha - your choice for 4th/5th, Husky 6th,
BMW dead last.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
snoid OP
100% Okie

Oddometer: 28,379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco

see scottmac's list. i concur with it.
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
MitchMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Does anyone have a scan of this review they could email me? We don't get that magazine in the UK!

MitchMan
MitchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
KLXmcrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Also checkout Dirt bike March issue similar 7 bike comparision test but
instead of the BMW G450 tested the BETA 450RR.Duplicate results cept KTM/Husaberg switch places.One thing that Dirt Rider did was that they added about $1000 worth of access to the Japanese bikes.I prefer an out of the crate shootout.I may not have $1000 after the initial purchase of my choice.We all personalize our bikes with access as time goes by,but just prefer headsup comparo,tires,bars,handguards,etc,etc.JMHO...ALSO Dirt Bike tested the BMW G450X 49 state Dual-Sport version.Check it out...David
KLXmcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
MitchMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I have finally found a scan of the shootout!

http://www.nsdsc.ca/kelsow/2009%20450%20shootout.pdf

MitchMan
MitchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
tarmacter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchMan
I have finally found a scan of the shootout!
Nice find! They're server is SLOOOOW though. No worries, I put it on my groups rackspace server here:

2009 DirtRider Shootout (PDF) | http://centralvalleyds.com/rides/200...road-shootout/
tarmacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
The shoot out was in the mountains were i have a cabin and ride all the time ,we soo theme on the trails

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Oddometer: 596
IMO, the test is not a good comparison of any of the bikes. I've only read two of the four bikes so far and the Honda was modded way out and the Husaberg is stock. How the hell do you make a comparison of bikes when you've modded their factory configurations?

Lame.
ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Makes some sense when some bikes are thousands more than the others. I'd expect the race oriented off road machines like the CRF and KLX to beat out the street legal ones, no surprise there.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Thanks for re-hosting that for me tarmacter
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #13
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,777
What those shout outs told me, is that the more expensive Euro brands come out cheaper after the Jap bikes get add ons to make them, "not quite as good."

The new Bergs, if they turn out to be reliable, look like they could be a D/S rider's wet dream.

Tom B
Old 03-25-2009, 07:03 PM   #14
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRiedinger
IMO, the test is not a good comparison of any of the bikes. I've only read two of the four bikes so far and the Honda was modded way out and the Husaberg is stock. How the hell do you make a comparison of bikes when you've modded their factory configurations?

Lame.
And putting an autoclutch on the KLX? Stupid...

I wonder if they know a Husky has 6 gears?

WoodsChick

Old 03-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #15
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick
The shoot out was in the mountains were i have a cabin and ride all the time ,we soo theme on the trails
Hey Trailtrick, then they saw the bike we both think should have been included in the test.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote