ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
manshoon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Best Motorcycle mount for the Garmin 276/376/378/478 ?

I am looking to get a better or best type set up that is your favorite that you could share for motorcycle mount. I have a BMW 2007 Xmoto and I will be hard wiring it to the bike, but in a way to still be able to remove it.

Will be used in my boat and the wife's Suv from time to time. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Steve
Old 03-20-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
jdaniele
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
I have the 276c it is the same physically I really like the TT mvg mount.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...CC24SxQ22D49F7

"These pretzels are makin me thirsty"

I can't seem to remember why I don't drink anymore.
jdaniele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,127
I tried (and still have 2) locking Touratech mounts, but greatly prefer the RAM mount. I am going to splice in a multiple wire disconnect to remove/ move the unit from the bike to the car, to another bike while leaving the crappy plug in the back of the unit. I am on my 3rd factory plug.
Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
manshoon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wattner, that is on the 478, that you get the crappy plug ?
Old 03-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,929
The plugs on the X76/X78 units seem to be prone to breaking as they actually fit in there pretty snug. I've read plenty about it, but have yet to break one myself. My plugs actually don't seem to be that snug, so maybe thats why I haven't broke one yet. I've had my 376C for over a year and just got my 478, but never had an issue yet.

BTW, as for mounts, I think the standard marine mount that comes with it is lacking. I've had mine try to jump out of it a few times when the lock mechanism loosens up. I really want to get the RAM mount myself.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 03-24-2009 at 06:30 AM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
v8dave
Wizard

Oddometer: 165
Ram Mount & Garmin MC Cable

I've got a Ram mounted Garmin 276C hooked up through a Garmin Motorcycle Cable Part #: 010-10587-00. This cable has an audio plug on it and I terminated the power wires in a BMW power plug. I installed a power socket in the BMW K100 instrument cluster specifically to power the GPS. This set up keeps me from fiddling with the difficult Garmin waterproof plug on the 276C.

To remove the 276C, just snap out of the ram mount and unplug the power and audio--I do it each time I walk away from the bike. The GPS and Valentine-1 go into the top box inside my helmet at each stop. It takes no more than a minute on or off after a little practice--which also shows how easy it would be to steal it too! The Touratech mount can be had with a key lock, which would slow a thief a little more.

Here's how it looks mounted up. The audio cable doesn't go into the power plug, it curls under the power connector and then goes between the two halves of the instrument "panel."
Attached Images

If brute force doesn't work, you aren't using enough!
v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #7
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,312
If you're going off road I would NOT use the Ram mount. It does nothing to absorb the shock from the bumps. Ram mounts are ok for the street, not for the dirt. I killed a Garmin V in a ram mount. Luckly it was fixed under warrantee.

The Touratech mounts are hard to beat. I have the locking MV for my 276C and never give it a second thought. It's been on the GS, a 950 KTM, a 640 KTM and the Harley.

Gerg

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:39 PM   #8
manshoon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I like that set up V8Dave, any chance of a tutorial for a first time gps install ?
That is more then likely the way I am going to get mine wired in. I have the BMW plug and play socket on the side of the bike, but will need to get the male end for it yet.

I am thinking the Ram mount for me, funds are short for the TT mount, unless I can get it preety cheap and my bike in question will be more for on road then off, but I am hoping for some fire trail roads and dirt road excursions of the like sooner then later.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #9
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg
If you're going off road I would NOT use the Ram mount. It does nothing to absorb the shock from the bumps. Ram mounts are ok for the street, not for the dirt. I killed a Garmin V in a ram mount. Luckly it was fixed under warrantee.

Gerg
My 478 internal battery came off the circuit board and now the lighting is failing. after less 2000 miles on a dirt bike. The high speed vibrations is what killed it. The 60cs is holding up fine after years of use in a ram mount.

I'd advise against using a ram mount with the 478. The money I'd need to spend fixing the 478 would cover the cost of a better isolated mount.

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:20 AM   #10
manshoon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I bought a 5year extended warranty with the 478 for $69.00 with a zero deductable, so between that and the off roading that I probably wont be doing, I am hopeful that I should be good with the cheaper Ram mount for the short term.

I never gave much thought to how expensive it was going to be to get fully equipped to ride the street again, Bike, Riding gear, GPS, Mods for bike, sometime soon a Autocom set up. Makes for one bitchy wife if I am not careful.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #11
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 3,055
I've got the TT locking mount for my 376. Yeah, it's not an overnight solution to theft, but it is a pretty good deterrent while in the gas station.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #12
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,651
They fixed the plug issue a little over a year ago.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #13
v8dave
Wizard

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by manshoon
I like that set up V8Dave, any chance of a tutorial for a first time gps install ?
Here is the ADVrider post where I describe the installation.

Quote:
I am thinking the Ram mount for me, funds are short for the TT mount, unless I can get it preety cheap and my bike in question will be more for on road then off, but I am hoping for some fire trail roads and dirt road excursions of the like sooner then later.
You ought to give Gerg's advice some thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg
It's not just "off road" its' really off pavement. Dirt roads will beat a GPS pretty badly too. Even with a warranty you'll still be without the GPS while it's being fixed. Not to mention the fact that the GPS will conk out when you really need the GPS to find your way out of the deepest, darkest forest, an hour before sunset, on the ugliest road you've ever seen.

If brute force doesn't work, you aren't using enough!
v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #14
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
They fixed the plug issue a little over a year ago.
How did they fix it?
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #15
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer: 713
I have found the Techmount.com to be best

I have one on my XR650R that is all 99% dirt and it gets punished. Zero problems. It is also a small mount so it keeps the GPS in tight and out of harms way when I have a sudden yard sale while on super cruise. They make a nice slide on piece so I can take the GPS off when I want to remove the GPS easily without removing the mount. I also use one for my Toutatech small roadbook holder. They make a double plate so you can mount two devices on one mount if you need/want.
I found it on some FZ1R type bikes those canyon carver guys use.
It's very clean looking, made from billet I think, and with all stainless fasteners. I was leaning toward that huge Touratech mount but I spoke with some other GPS retailers and map suppliers and they said that TT mount has broken some GPS units.
It should be noted that a lot of the hardcore desert guys just use the cheap plastic garmin bicycle mount with some rubber bands and hey, it's cheap and it works for their punishing stuff!
Good luck!

Quote:
I am looking to get a better or best type set up that is your favorite that you could share for motorcycle mount. I have a BMW 2007 Xmoto and I will be hard wiring it to the bike, but in a way to still be able to remove it.

Will be used in my boat and the wife's Suv from time to time. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Steve

bump screwed with this post 03-30-2009 at 11:02 PM
bump is offline   Reply With Quote