Old 04-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #31
Sidecar Sarge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctp13
(Snipped)
Just recieved my "New to me" 98 Ural Sportsman after years of BMW's
MY they are ah... rough . No offence to the foil heads and I have only ridden it 20 Km ( before the charging light started winking at me. and the rear brake heated up and smoked and.....
Yes they (Pre-2003's) are rough. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Foilhead but, frankly, I wouldn't touch a 650 with a ten foot pole. Others love them. Usually, they are more gearhead oriented. Me? I'm very "wrench challenged"! I like my nice, reliable 2004.

Sarge
Old 04-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #32
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,100
Quote:
Just recieved my "New to me" 98 Ural Sportsman after years of BMW's

MY they are ah... rough . No offence to the foil heads and I have only ridden it 20 Km ( before the charging light started winking at me. and the rear brake heated up and smoked and.....

WEll it has had little use and will take some time to sort out. The winking lights I fixed by cleaning all connections and using dielectric grease. The brake easy ajustment.

I should have done a full tune up and fluid change - and I will before I go much further.

I have owned 6 other hacks Two custom hightech ones .

and Honestly I have never owned one that got so much attention and I only rode it to the gas station. Once. I'll have to make hand outs , The Harley guy did not know there WERE Russian bikes ! " No really it was made in Russia- Honest"

WE only need to continue this thread.

Chuck
Howdy Chuck,

First off welcome to the foil, second before it costs you and engine get rid of the RPOS alternator and replace it with a denso unit, yes the denso costs money but it way cheaper then an engine, third be very nice to your final drive they are made out of unuptainium, if you bust it the chances of finding parts are slim to none however if you do manage to phuck up the final drive the regular two wheel drive is a direct bolt in. Just my opinion for what it's worth unless you really like to tinker don't buy a used Ural older then 2005.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #33
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Sarge
AND BRING YOUR ALUMINUM FOIL!! Saturday we'll host the Second Annual Foilhead Competition and Baltika Festival at RDV.

Sarge

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #34
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,926
Would a '98 have the infamous RPOC alternator? My '97 has the 424 (?) alternator-not known for self-destructing,but a rather feeble electrical output,too.
I'll agree that the 650s are rougher than a corncob,but they have their good points-I just haven't found them yet. Mine suffered the all-too-common crankshaft breakage last fall, but it was still able to drive home on that broken crank . A detailed rebuild followed,with better quality bearings all around,a new clutch,Accel coil,K68 Pekars, and carb manifolds with a balance tube between them. The difference in how it ran before and after the crank breakage is amazing. The rock-hard brake shoes were swapped out for better ones, and a stronger turnbuckle in the front TLS brake makes it stop much better.
As you might guess from all this, yes, 650s take more than a little wrenching
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #35
ctp13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob
Howdy Chuck,

First off welcome to the foil, second before it costs you and engine get rid of the RPOS alternator and replace it with a denso unit, yes the denso costs money but it way cheaper then an engine, third be very nice to your final drive they are made out of unuptainium, if you bust it the chances of finding parts are slim to none however if you do manage to phuck up the final drive the regular two wheel drive is a direct bolt in. Just my opinion for what it's worth unless you really like to tinker don't buy a used Ural older then 2005.
Mr. Cob

Thanks for the info I have read that the R alt is junk . to be honest I was aware that Most of the bike is Junk . ( ok to be honest it works looks good but the Spider senses just dont vibe right ) I was looking for a project the sportsman looked an orphan enough to be cheap .

I am a long time BMW person mostly airheads ( some 8-10 of them)

and while the 650 is weak It a grate place to drop a R 80/R90 engine.
Proven reliability and something I know how to work on.

Maybe that would be a better outcome.

we will see.

Thanks

Chuck
ctp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:31 AM   #36
IsAnOzzie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Another Ural owner here. 08 gear up on the left.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #37
drrider1
just running amuck

Oddometer: 379
I'm in 96 tourist
drrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #38
Sidecar Sarge
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Mr. Cob

Thanks for the info I have read that the R alt is junk . to be honest I was aware that Most of the bike is Junk . ( ok to be honest it works looks good but the Spider senses just dont vibe right ) I was looking for a project the sportsman looked an orphan enough to be cheap .
(Snipped)
Chuck,

One item: Of the 650 Urals, the most desirable is the Sportsman with its 2WD differential. The newer 2WD's are direct drive and can only be run that way in the dirt. The Sportsman allows you to run 2WD on the road which, I have read, makes them handle very nicely.

One of my hopes was to, one day, come across a Sportsman that some ham-handed owner had succeeded in roaching the engine. Buy it dirt cheap and slap a new 750 motor in it. Now THAT would be one sweet rig!

Sarge
Old 04-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #39
ctp13
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Sarge
Chuck,

One item: Of the 650 Urals, the most desirable is the Sportsman with its 2WD differential. The newer 2WD's are direct drive and can only be run that way in the dirt. The Sportsman allows you to run 2WD on the road which, I have read, makes them handle very nicely.

One of my hopes was to, one day, come across a Sportsman that some ham-handed owner had succeeded in roaching the engine. Buy it dirt cheap and slap a new 750 motor in it. Now THAT would be one sweet rig!

Sarge
Ha Ha!

You should go into fortune telling Sarge.

Last night I took my rig to dinner when I came out it would not turn over - Not an electrial issue- The kicker will not move The Bike shifts The clutch works The Kicker with clutch in ratchets bike forward
SO the problem is in Front of the Clutch ( I believe)
I checked to be sure it was not hydrolocked. Several people pushing could not get the engine to roll over .

Perhaps the timing gears faild when I shut it off ,but unlikly, I believe the crank ( it's a multy piece i believe) is toast.

SO I looked into the 750 engine Too spendy when I can buy a good running R 80-100 BMW Motorcycle for less.

Anyone have one lying around? I have a new home for it. I believe they all fit up to 83? I think.

Chuck
Old 04-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #40
ctp13
Gnarly Adventurer

Update!!

Quote:
Ha Ha!

Last night I took my rig to dinner when I came out it would not turn over - Not an electrial issue- The kicker will not move The Bike shifts The clutch works The Kicker with clutch in ratchets bike forward
I checked to be sure it was not hydrolocked. Several people pushing could not get the engine to roll over .

Perhaps the timing gears faild when I shut it off ,but unlikly, I believe the crank ( it's a multy piece i believe) is toast.

SO I looked into the 750 engine Too spendy when I can buy a good running R 80-100 BMW Motorcycle for less.

Anyone have one lying around? I have a new home for it. I believe they all fit up to 83? I think.

Chuck
Someone suggested I look at the Flywheel screws. What flywheel screws?

Seems I have lost two screws. any idea what size they are? I tried taking out one of the remaining ones but they want to stay in

MR. COB will your clutch fit in my 650?

And who should I get the screws from?

Thanks
Chuck

PS I still think a R 80 would work just fine in there.

ctp13 screwed with this post 04-09-2009 at 05:37 PM
Old 04-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #41
Sidecar Sarge
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I could be very, VERY wrong, but I believe BMW's and Urals rotate in opposite directions. The conversion can certainly be done but I suspect it is not as easy as it first sounds. (Which will add a lot of bucks to the cost of the BMW motor for the conversion.)

Sarge
Old 04-09-2009, 06:41 PM   #42
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,100
Quote:
Someone suggested I look at the Flywheel screws. What flywheel screws?

Seems I have lost two screws. any idea what size they are? I tried taking out one of the remaining ones but they want to stay in

MR. COB will your clutch fit in my 650?

And who should I get the screws from?

Thanks
Chuck

Howdy Chuck,

As far as I know the 650 and the 750 share the same clutch components but in that I may be mistaken. The clutch screws are a Ural factory item, again to the best of my knowledge you can't get them anywhere other then a Ural dealer. From what I have been told if you install the BMW engine you will have to use the BMW clutch plate and related assembly. I have no experience with the BMW swap so DON'T take my word on any of this.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #43
wadeinater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Patrol

I have a 2004 Patrol. Lots of fun!!
wadeinater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #44
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob
Howdy Chuck,

First off welcome to the foil, second before it costs you and engine get rid of the RPOS alternator and replace it with a denso unit, yes the denso costs money but it way cheaper then an engine
Not true. I recently bought a 650cc mill for half the cost of a Denso
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:59 AM   #45
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Ha Ha!

Chuck

I hate to say it, but this was just how my Ural acted with a broken crankshaft-it ran until I shut it off, and then the engine was "frozen". The crank sagged, and the flywheel came in contact with the case wall, siezing it up. The camshaft gear was broken when the crank gave up,too.
A new crank, and better bearings all around hopefully cured it-if it breaks again,I'll look at other engines.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote