Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #121
elefantmanshawn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Hi to all,my ural was in the small photo's in the 2008 ural adverts,the snow pic
elefantmanshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #122
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by soigomoto
Assuming you're talking about Ski at TriQuest. Goin' over there tomorrow as a matter of fact.

So ?s for ya'll:

What'cha doin bout Forest Service approved spark arrestors?

Gal at AAA (we're I reg'd mine) said my G/U was the 2nd in the county -Santa Cruz, CA that is. Anyone know or be the other?

How are the stock H-bars holdin up for off-roading? Alternatives?

Anyone messing with converting the rear break linkage for independant action. I.e. steering brakes?

Any interest in getting a 'must haves' Ural Farkels thread going? I don't want bling, just the stuff that makes sense if'n yer outfitting for expeditioning. I know I could use some wisdom from those that been flyin chairs fer yairs.

Peace all
Namaste,
Stuff I have used, and feel is prudent to carry. Keep in mind, Uraling off road is more like a ATV or 4X4 than a trail bike.

#1 fuel can, and spout
#2 full size shovel, the stock GU shovel will kill your back, and takes forever to dig with. I carry a 48" east German military pioneer shovel.
#3 ax, I carry whats called a "boys" or "Scouts" ax, smaller than a full size ax, but much bigger than a hatchet.
#4 rope puller, like a come-along, but easier to use, and more useful for long pulls
#5 forest service maps, and/or gps
#6 first aid kit, water, food/snacks
#7 spare hardware, zip ties, 5 min epoxy putty, oil
#8 small 1.5t bottle jack

Things I want and see the need for,
#1 A high exhaust system, the stock exhaust sucks for serious off road riding.
#2 skid plate, I haven't hit my oil sump yet, but it only takes once if it is a bad hit. If You plan on a lot of off roading, don't even think of a deep sump. Its a ridiculous waste of money gaining nothing, loosing ground clearance.
#3 reinforced left head guard.

The stock bars are totally up to the task. I have never felt the need for splitting the rear brakes, and couldn't be used in 2wd. In Washington, street legal vehicles aren't checked for spark arresters. CA ?
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:20 PM   #123
soigomoto
Be kind to our mother!

Oddometer: 77
Farkin the Ural

Thanx for the reply WM.

#1. Can and spout I got.
#2. Shovel: yep the stock one is all show and no mo.
#3. Ax. Your're the second one I've seen to mention carrying an ax (or maybe I just saw you say it twice). Better than a bow saw or machete? Care to explain?
#4. Rope puller, don't exactly know what one is but have had and used come-alongs -looking into!
#5. Maps and GPS, check!
#6. First-aid -yep. Water -check. snax -you bet.

Exhaust, yah, high would be nice. two into one on the right would be a bonus.

Already ruled out the reduction of clearance of a deep sump but thanx for the confirmation none-the-less.

Skid plates, yep, been giving that thoughts too. Seems like a good idea in at least a couple places.

Left head guard, hmmm. Stock not strong enough eh? Will consider.

Bars: my rig came w/ aftermarket ProTapers. Not as high or back as OEM. I don't care for the reach and was wondering -should I order a stock set or get some bar-backs for the bars I have -still in think mode here.

Brakes: You bring up a very good point that I hadn't gotten to yet. If you're in 2wd mode split steering brakes are ineffective --that's why I ask!

I am checking into the whole spark arrestor thing. Don't really care about legality, care lots about starting a fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill
Stuff I have used, and feel is prudent to carry. Keep in mind, Uraling off road is more like a ATV or 4X4 than a trail bike.
#7. Field repair kit -part of what I am still trying to figure out and one of the main things I am looking for wisdom on.
#8. Bottle Jack -check (the guy I bought the rig from got one for it and was nice enough to include it w/ the stock tool kit.

#1 fuel can, and spout
#2 full size shovel, the stock GU shovel will kill your back, and takes forever to dig with. I carry a 48" east German military pioneer shovel.
#3 ax, I carry whats called a "boys" or "Scouts" ax, smaller than a full size ax, but much bigger than a hatchet.
#4 rope puller, like a come-along, but easier to use, and more useful for long pulls
#5 forest service maps, and/or gps
#6 first aid kit, water, food/snacks
#7 spare hardware, zip ties, 5 min epoxy putty, oil
#8 small 1.5t bottle jack

Things I want and see the need for,
#1 A high exhaust system, the stock exhaust sucks for serious off road riding.
#2 skid plate, I haven't hit my oil sump yet, but it only takes once if it is a bad hit. If You plan on a lot of off roading, don't even think of a deep sump. Its a ridiculous waste of money gaining nothing, loosing ground clearance.
#3 reinforced left head guard.

The stock bars are totally up to the task. I have never felt the need for splitting the rear brakes, and couldn't be used in 2wd. In Washington, street legal vehicles aren't checked for spark arresters. CA ?

'64 BMW R60/2 -Dover White
'05 BMW R1200GS -Rock Red
'08 URAL Gear-Up -Forest Camo
soigomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #124
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by soigomoto
Thanx for the reply WM.

#3. Ax. Your're the second one I've seen to mention carrying an ax (or maybe I just saw you say it twice). Better than a bow saw or machete? Care to explain?
#4. Rope puller, don't exactly know what one is but have had and used come-alongs -looking into!
I am checking into the whole spark arrestor thing. Don't really care about legality, care lots about starting a fire.
Mr COB also always carries an ax. A machete is useless on anything larger than 4"-5", saws aren't very good, fallen trees usually aren't flat on the ground but are hanging up on other trees, berms, or branches. More often than not, the kerf will close up and bind the saw, then Your stuck. An ax also works as a sledge hammer for driving a piece of re-bar in the ground to act as an anchor for the rope puller.

The advantage of a rope puller is unlimited reach and pull, if You have a 50' rope, You can do a continuous 50' pull without resetting. more info here,
http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=236

As to emergency repair items, basically a baggie full assorted metric hardware, zip ties, electrical tape, few feet of 14ga wire, crimp connectors and crimp tool, bulbs, fuses, 5 min epoxy (for fixing a hole in oil pan, or valve cover) spare clutch, and throttle cables, spare air filter, oil, tire tube, 2nd pair of tire irons, few feet of bailing wire, bungee cords, tie down straps, 10' 5/16 rope, funnel, small hammer, rags, pump led flashlight, 4' X 8' tarp, pen & paper

The stock head guard is not up to a hard hit, a few dealers sell reinforced bars.

One elcheepo improvement I did that really helps off road is putting 2 hose clamps on the brake pedal with the screw part on top it really improves the ability to put real pressure on the brake when it gets wet or muddy.

I dont think You could get a Ural to throw sparks out the exhaust, but the header pipes will get hot enough to start a fire, dont park in long dry grass.
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #125
Latguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Farkin Ural

A 16" long pruning saw is very useful for cutting limbs that block the trail. An axe is useful for getting into the bigger stuff. The saw fits above the air pump in the trunk held in place by three magnets and velcro.
I usually carry an umbrella attached to the rack. It's useful for keeping the dog in some shade when we stop and he has to stay in the hack and I've used it to protect the contents of the trunk when I've got to open it in the rain.
03 Duramax w/ Bulldog chip
...working and playing in the Dacks and Lake Champlain
Latguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #126
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,791
Thumb

Hell, just go ahead and mount a winch on the sidecar, like Mickey (Ural of Alaska dealer) did on his HEAVILY off-roaded rig.

Made his own custom exhaust, too.

These pics were taken in 2007 at his shop in Anchorage.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #127
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Ural pick up

Since this thread seems to be all over the place...
Went to Home Depot today and picked up 120KGs of sand in my Gear Up.
Was worth it for the just for the looks I got.
Bike felt well ballasted....
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #128
Spat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Makes a fun shopping cart, doesn't it

Red Green: You ever see one of these? It's called a GPS, this thing uses satellites to tell you where you are, which means that every man can have a five-hundred-dollar reason not to ask for directions.
Spat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #129
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Uraling

It was even more fun to see the guy next to me trying to load all this mulch into his euro car without getting dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spat
Makes a fun shopping cart, doesn't it
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:14 PM   #130
soigomoto
Be kind to our mother!

Oddometer: 77
Gearing Up the Gear-Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis
Hell, just go ahead and mount a winch on the sidecar, like Mickey (Ural of Alaska dealer) did on his HEAVILY off-roaded rig.

Made his own custom exhaust, too.

These pics were taken in 2007 at his shop in Anchorage.

Won't waste the space w/ all the other cool photos (if you wanna see 'em check out the earlier post).

To all --Thanx for the constructive feedback. Big help -really.

The winch! That's the shizzle!

'64 BMW R60/2 -Dover White
'05 BMW R1200GS -Rock Red
'08 URAL Gear-Up -Forest Camo
soigomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #131
Hobbomock
Freewheelin'

Oddometer: 766
Resurrect this old thread!

hey

new to me '95 Sportsman...

...and i'm not afeared!

seems reasonably sorted but i've got to put an alternator gasket on it tomorrow. PO used permatex which lasted 300km's. Need to get my hands on a few goodies, like a spare clutch cable and a better throttle control/cable arrangement.
The Mic's have a huge dead spot (2500 rpm?) so i'll be poking around those tomorrow too.
too many leaks to address all at once, sat for 15 years then was ridden daily up in Maine for the past year but the PO must have also permatexed his wallet shut because all "fixes" seem 1/2 arsed.
got the brakes sorted last week - saw an excellent suggestion for the Sporty - add 2nd rear pedal for the hack to enable limiting the slip. Will fire up the smoke wrench next week for that job.
Need some more aggressive buns for the mud and i've got my eye on a few sand bags my town used down the road for erosion control that will weight the tub when empty.

It's weird, slow and beautiful!

had it for 2 weeks when i was approached to shoot a video for some IT company. Rode down to Fairfield Saturday, squeezed a geek and his laptop into the car, piloted him up Black Rock Trnpk and around a parking lot for two hours and got paid $150 (American)!

See, it has real investment potential!

Hobbomock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #132
BOUNTY HUNTER
Bavarian Bomber Wrench

Oddometer: 866
Congratulations! Nice looking rig. I'd suggest Heidenau K37 tires, not just because I sell them but because they work best and last much longer than the Duro 307 or the Kenda 335. Enjoy, Chris
www.AffordableBeemerServices.com
BOUNTY HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #133
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,404
Wow, I've owned a Ural for 2 years and never knew this thread existed.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #134
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 2,204
[QUOTE=Hobbomock;21136402]hey

new to me '95 Sportsman...

...and i'm not afeared!

seems reasonably sorted but i've got to put an alternator gasket on it tomorrow. PO used permatex which lasted 300km's. Need to get my hands on a few goodies, like a spare clutch cable and a better throttle control/cable arrangement.
The Mic's have a huge dead spot (2500 rpm?) so i'll be poking around those tomorrow too.
too many leaks to address all at once, sat for 15 years then was ridden daily up in Maine for the past year but the PO must have also permatexed his wallet shut because all "fixes" seem 1/2 arsed.

They all do that...

Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #135
Hobbomock
Freewheelin'

Oddometer: 766
didnt get a chance to poke thru the carbs yet.. but i had a SuUral moment as i tightened up the port side alternator nut and just before the sweet tightness there was a faint click

then the nut turned again

click

buggered!

swapped the two nuts so some thread was available on the other side and put her together to ride home.

No Leaks!

secured 2 10mm x 1.0 and 2 @1.25 (wasnt sure?) nuts for Saturdays wrench fest as well as an assortment of Mikuni jets and some more beer.

i cant seem to find a way to route the throttle cables without them bunching up and over-revving when steered right, left or whathaveyou. seems the right side is too long and the left side too crooked...

Hobbomock is offline   Reply With Quote