Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #31
Bruce.B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohman
Lifter or bucket rotation always occurs at the tip of the lobe which is ground on a slight taper.
As the 800 does not have either the follower will always be in the same position. I would think the follower has end play to tolenance but no movement in relation to the cam.
That's one of 3 ways to get follower rotation that I know about. A notch in the cam surface is a 2nd and offsetting the center of the cam follower from the center of the cam lobe is a 3rd. There are probably more.

Bruce
Bruce.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #32
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
You really can't tell shit from that photo. I've seen better bigfoot photographs.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #33
ricohman
Marinoni man

Oddometer: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.B
That's one of 3 ways to get follower rotation that I know about. A notch in the cam surface is a 2nd and offsetting the center of the cam follower from the center of the cam lobe is a 3rd. There are probably more.

Bruce
There is no such thing as follower rotation in this type of engine design. It simply cannot accomplish this task as it has a fixed position relative to the camshaft. Lifter or round followers rotate off the lobe.
There are followers that rotate though. But this isn't one of them.
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #34
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,985

I see something

I also spy the same thing on an F800ST valve check tutorial.

Right hand intake lobes.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...

Boon Booni screwed with this post 03-22-2009 at 05:00 PM
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #35
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
You really can't tell shit from that photo. I've seen better bigfoot photographs.
LOL - I to that.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #36
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,800
Quote:
I feel safe... they're shown on the parts fiche for the cam.

Bruce
Yup, right there on the diagram:

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #37
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Quote:

I'd be more concerned with what looks like white metal flakes on the cam surface. If it's steel, that's a problem; if it's aluminum, then it's probably flakes from removing the valve covers.

Bruce
Santa Fe, NM
And if it's glare, it's just a crappy photo.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #38
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Yes, I know... considering what camera gear I had with me it's quite embarrassing actually. This dealer was one that was somewhat serious about not having customers in the shop, I was lucky to get this and was politely asked to leave right after I took it, by the owner. I could have been pushy about it, but that's not my style.

I can tell you that the texture in the "missing" chunk was exactly the same as the rest of the cam that wasn't machined, and there were no metal flakes. Anywhere.

It will have to do as is (like the last 9,000 miles) because I'm heading south on Tuesday for another ride....

When I get home it will be time for the 12,000 mile maintenance so I'll be getting into the engine for the valve inspection.

"Just ride the frikin' bike!" - TS

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 03-22-2009 at 06:37 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #39
Shadetree
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Cam chunks...

It appears that the notches are in the base circle of the cam lobes...where there is no force applied to the camshaft due to valve clearance. At this point we can only speculate what the intention of the manufacturer is. I would think that the rotation theory is plausible. It could also be a scoop of sorts to distribute a slug of oil on each camshaft rotation. All speculation unless and until we hear something official from BMW. It will be interesting to see if the replacement parts are made the same way. Meanwhile, hasn't anyone else out there seen inside their valve cover? When the time comes I will be checking my own, but I only have a couple thousand miles so far.

Bill
Shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #40
ricohman
Marinoni man

Oddometer: 1,981
Well, I've heard of fractured rods but maybe they make these cams the same way?
Anyway, it would be neat to know what engineering is behind this.
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:41 PM   #41
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,789
The cut-outs look normal to me. Especially when I see that the parts diagram for the bike shows the same cut-outs or voids. I wouldn't worry. Besides, a friend and I just opened up a 1974 Honda CB750 engine that has 35,000 miles on it. I saw similar things to what I'm seeing in this picture. Small inconsistencies in the casting. However, the wear characteristics in the engine were amazing. It obviously ran without any problem for many years and miles.

Now that oil leak problem...hmmm... that would concern me.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:00 PM   #42
Bruce.B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohman
Lifter or bucket rotation always occurs at the tip of the lobe which is ground on a slight taper.
As the 800 does not have either the follower will always be in the same position. I would think the follower has end play to tolenance but no movement in relation to the cam.
I stopped digging too soon. I should have gone further than the parts fiche (mea culpa!). You're absolutely right about the rockers. They're clearly shown in this image from the manual:

Regardless their purpose, the image of the (in this case) exhaust cam clearly shows the notches/divots. So they're supposed to be there:

Bruce
Bruce.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:37 AM   #43
dino2000
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,339
This is silly!

Quit f-ckin' around with that thing and ride it!!!!

The diagrams clearly show the "notches", so all you page 1 and 2 nay sayers are full of shit!

Does anybody give advice from expirience around here anymore or are all of you morons just reactionary BMW dealership / tech bashers?!

I told you you should have bought a KTM!

Cheers Brutha!
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #44
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,661
Go pound sand, Dino. Dude showed us a picture that looked a caveman chiseled out notches in the cam of his $14,000 bike. I'd be pissed about it and am glad he posted the picture. I'll cross this bike off my list of bikes to own. I've seen better machining inside a KLR engine.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:50 AM   #45
dino2000
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
Go pound sand, Dino. Dude showed us a picture that looked a caveman chiseled out notches in the cam of his $14,000 bike. I'd be pissed about it and am glad he posted the picture. I'll cross this bike off my list of bikes to own. I've seen better machining inside a KLR engine.
First off Larrygirl, the guy is a friend of mine, so the reply wasn't aimed at him negatively.

Second, he posted the picture looking for some sound advice from some people with expirience (he specifically asked for that), and what he got was a bunch of guyz piping off about something they HAD NO EXPIRIENCE WITH!

If they knew what the fuck they were talking about, they would not have made the comments or offered the shitty ADVICE they did.

Once again for those kids in the back of the room, does anybody on this forum give advise from expirience anymore, or is that held exclusively for the knowledgable folks over in the ORANGE CRUSH.

Done.
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote