Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #46
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino2000
First off Larrygirl, the guy is a friend of mine, so the reply wasn't aimed at him negatively.

Second, he posted the picture looking for some sound advice from some people with expirience (he specifically asked for that), and what he got was a bunch of guyz piping off about something they HAD NO EXPIRIENCE WITH!

If they knew what the fuck they were talking about, they would not have made the comments or offered the shitty ADVICE they did.

Once again for those kids in the back of the room, does anybody on this forum give advise from expirience anymore, or is that held exclusively for the knowledgable folks over in the ORANGE CRUSH.

Done.
Done, free pass for your bullshit? Cool guy.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:55 AM   #47
dino2000
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,336
"I would like to hear your thoughts, especially if you have some first hand knowledge about cams on an f800 or similar Rotax engine."

BTW. Passage from the first post. Just in case anyone else would like to challenge the notion that I am right.

Larry, love the Death Valley RR. Great stuff!
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #48
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,266
Quote:
"I would like to hear your thoughts, especially if you have some first hand knowledge about cams on an f800 or similar Rotax engine."

BTW. Passage from the first post. Just in case anyone else would like to challenge the notion that I am right.

Larry, love the Death Valley RR. Great stuff!
Are you bi-polar or something? What the heck are you so mad about? or not mad about?

Whatever, man. I stand by everything that I've said in this thread.

See you on the trail.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #49
dino2000
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
Not normal. More than likely those chunks are floating around waiting to grenade the thing. I'd insist on a full engine tear down and inspection or they can buy it back. This is a safety issue and present it that way to get what is right.

Edit: They replaced that cam of course....right?

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"

Ain't mad at ya cuz I don't know ya!

Just think it's silly that guys will give advise like that above with NO KNOWLEDGEof the problem. This was the point of my initial post and continues to be the subject of my recreation for today.

U gotta admit, u were talkin' out yer ass?!
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #50
lbbmwtech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Easy way to fix this is to ask that dealer to create a Puma case on your bike. Have them send in that picture you have up and the FSE should know if thats normal. I've done a few services on those bike and I don't remember seeing that. I could be wrong though cause BMW does do some crazy stuff.
lbbmwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #51
ricohman
Marinoni man

Oddometer: 1,981
With all the posturing done.............
Anyone know about the engineering behind these divots?
Seeing as they are so rough I would guess they are made the same way other fractured components are.
However, I have seen similar weird cams in early Yamaha XVZ1200 camshafts. And in that case the missing chunks were due to the manufacturing process.
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #52
TedShred
PHAT BASTARD

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"

Ain't mad at ya cuz I don't know ya!

Just think it's silly that guys will give advise like that above with NO KNOWLEDGEof the problem. This was the point of my initial post and continues to be the subject of my recreation for today.

U gotta admit, u were talkin' out yer ass?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
Not normal. More than likely those chunks are floating around waiting to grenade the thing. I'd insist on a full engine tear down and inspection or they can buy it back. This is a safety issue and present it that way to get what is right.

Edit: They replaced that cam of course....right?

You're obviously arguing with an expert F800 technician Deano. Just admit that you're wrong and move on

2006 DRZ400E
2005 R1200GS
TedShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #53
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,166
Ladies, Ladies... you're all pretty!

I'm just going to do what needs to be done in this dire situation, go frikin' ride the bike a couple thousand miles!

I don't think it looks right, but there's not any BMW conspiracy to cover this up, I'm not an engineer. Neither are most of you...

Time will tell, either I'll blow my engine and end up with a new bike (that would be fine with me since I've already thrashed this one fairly well)
OR I will continue to enjoy this AWESOME motorbike and live happily ever after.

Thanks for ALL the replies, especially the one's that seemed to have cracked the case - no pun intended and even the one's that were emotional based, and off the original question - ADV is fun because of the drama mixed with the good info.... I just use the ADV BS filter.

See ya!

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #54
TedShred
PHAT BASTARD

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown

I'm just going to do what needs to be done in this dire situation, go frikin' ride the bike a couple thousand miles!

I don't think it looks right, but there's not any BMW conspiracy to cover this up, I'm not an engineer. Neither are most of you...

Time will tell, either I'll blow my engine and end up with a new bike (that would be fine with me since I've already thrashed this one fairly well)

Thanks for ALL the replies, especially the one's that seemed to have cracked the case - no pun intended and even the one's that were emotional based, and off the original question - ADV is fun because of the drama mixed with the good info.... I just use the ADV BS filter.

See ya!
Have fun in Arkansas bro!! I want lots of pics.

Now turn off the damn computer and go ride that fookin bike!!!

2006 DRZ400E
2005 R1200GS
TedShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:14 PM   #55
beerrun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Eh? My Bad!

Upon further reflection, and two more pages off informaton to ponder,I do not think it is a defect.

For those who think many of us here are short on experience and long on bull. you may be right most of the time,but don't forget your one of us too. I personally have 28 years reading prints,and checking for microscopic cracks and defects in hardened tooling. although I am only a mechanic by nessessity. All of the motors I have torn down needed it, and some were overheated and burnt. that is what I think may have happened here.

Causes are many,but from the looks of it you (may have had )mud pact in you radiator? just a guess. Offroad expirience here.

Or I have no reason two doubt you when you say you've changed your

oil 3 times. But expirience tells me it is possible to overfill. not good! And you did say it started leaking oil first. Just a guess. But that oil looks dirty or at least dark, a sign of burnt oil. You may even smell it if its bad enough. And yes that is scorching on your lobes. If it was oil it would have run off,and there are lines in the brown residue. Check for oil in your water or water in your oil. That could mean that good seal they reused with sealant was'nt so good.

Also keep an eye on your hoses for bulging or weakness,and recheck for proper antifreeze levels from time to time just in case. (expirience)

Now as for the bad spelling, Its bad form to correct someone who is only trying to help. I already know I can't spell, and I didn't ask for help. Where as you did.
Very interesting post thanks and good luck.
beerrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:28 PM   #56
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerrun
Causes are many,but from the looks of it you (may have had )mud pact in you radiator? just a guess. Offroad expirience here.

Or I have no reason two doubt you when you say you've changed your
oil 3 times. But experience tells me it is possible to overfill. not good! And you did say it started leaking oil first. Just a guess. But that oil looks dirty or at least dark, a sign of burnt oil. You may even smell it if its bad enough. And yes that is scorching on your lobes. If it was oil it would have run off,and there are lines in the brown residue. Check for oil in your water or water in your oil. That could mean that good seal they reused with sealant was'nt so good.

Also keep an eye on your hoses for bulging or weakness,and recheck for proper antifreeze levels from time to time just in case. (expirience)

Now as for the bad spelling, Its bad form to correct someone who is only trying to help. I already know I can't spell, and I didn't ask for help. Where as you did.
Very interesting post thanks and good luck.

Thanks for the input.

I never had the radiator packed with mud, the bike's temp has never been above the "normal" 50% line on the gauge. Even during the day long triple digit speed in triple digit temp dash...

Overfilling was discussed, but as the 8GS takes 3.2 quarts of oil and I only even filled it with 3 quarts I don't think that's likely. maybe.

That oil at the time had about 3600 hard miles on it, it was dirty and overdue for a change, I do see what you mean with the scoring.

I will keep my eye's open for the oil and water/hoses/water levels.
My antenna's are very sensitive now, I'm watching and checking things often...

Thanks again for your positive input, and as for the spelling I'm not sure if you're talking to me cause I never correct people's speeling online since i cant spell very well myslef.

cheers

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:50 PM   #57
divingbiker
True Blue Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Great attitude!

Quote:

See ya!
I like your approach regarding "time will tell". The cam does look alarming and at first look seems to be a bad casting. However, but I'll be the first to admit I'm clueless regarding such matters. I just love to ride 'em!

PLEASE keep us posted if the bike developes issues. Thanks for the interesting post.

'09 F800GS
"09 KLR 650
'08 Harley Davidson CVO Ultra Classic
'04 F650GS
divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #58
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
Chitown,

Quote:

The Cam... all of them had a chunk missing kind of close to the lobe.
I couldn't resist the opportunity to offer a comment and leave myself open in light of all the testosterone floating around this post. Having a 650 GS single Rotax motor which has been absolutely bulletproof, and having done the valves several times I may be vaguely qualified to offer an opinion. This cam has chunks missing from it. I don't give a crap how smart BMW or Kymco is, they would never purposely GOUGE two reliefs in a cam surface that looks like this. As one poster said, it looks like it was chiseled out by a blind guy. If BMW wanted to remove metal from a surface, they'd MACHINE IT OUT. This is total crap. I would park the bike at the dealer, take the plate off and hound BMW until the regional rep examines the bike with YOU present.

If you could convince another F800 owner to pop their cam cover and either confirm or refute that this is actually part of the "machining" process, it would put this issue to bed, don't you think?
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #59
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanker

If you could convince another F800 owner to pop their cam cover and either confirm or refute that this is actually part of the "machining" process, it would put this issue to bed, don't you think?
How about a F800st?

Click the link, and look at the right hand intake lobes.

LINK
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #60
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanker
I couldn't resist the opportunity to offer a comment and leave myself open in light of all the testosterone floating around this post. Having a 650 GS single Rotax motor which has been absolutely bulletproof, and having done the valves several times I may be vaguely qualified to offer an opinion. This cam has chunks missing from it. I don't give a crap how smart BMW or Kymco is, they would never purposely GOUGE two reliefs in a cam surface that looks like this. As one poster said, it looks like it was chiseled out by a blind guy. If BMW wanted to remove metal from a surface, they'd MACHINE IT OUT. This is total crap. I would park the bike at the dealer, take the plate off and hound BMW until the regional rep examines the bike with YOU present.

Man, seriously, have you not read the posts and looked at the parts diagrams???

1) Rotax is not Kymco. Rotax is Bombardier. And the Rotax 798cc p-twin the F800GS is still Rotax/Bombardier.
2) The cam does not have "chunks" missing from it. Those voids are in the parts diagram. The blurry picture just makes it look "chunky." And even if the surface is a little bit rough, those voids are supposed to be there.

Deal with it:

Check out engine type 804 from the Bombardier/Rotax website. It is the the ROTAX, not Kymco, engine in the F800GS:
http://www.rotax.com/en/Engine/2004/...ine.Models.htm

Check out the Bombardier/Rotax company profile:

http://www.rotax.com/en/About.Us/Company.Profile.htm

Read 'em and weep.

P.S. No other company makes the Rotax engines or any of their parts. Any engine with the Rotax logo on it was manufactured in-house at the BRP-Rotax plant in Gunskirchen, Upper Austria.

The Griz screwed with this post 03-24-2009 at 06:51 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote