Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #91
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleRob
The slot opening in the middle (red arrows) between the "gouges" is the oil feed hole from the hollow, pressurized oil filled camshaft.
I created that parts screen shot and put the arrows there, pointing in the general area of the areas described as missing material, not directly towards the grooves, though that's what it looks like in retrospect...

Glad to hear Bruce.B has got us the definitive answer, anyway.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #92
CycleRob
n00b

Oddometer: 4
After The Griz and 996DL used it, it became public property. Being Mr efficiency, I try to minimize my albumn pic load on PhotoBucket.com and re-used the pic link. You have permission to use any of my pics, without any credit, in any future posts.
CycleRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #93
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleRob
After The Griz and 996DL used it, it became public property. Being Mr efficiency, I try to minimize my albumn pic load on PhotoBucket.com and re-used the pic link. You have permission to use any of my pics, without any credit, in any future posts.
I never claimed ownership, only that I had put the arrows there with little regard to exactly what was being pointed at.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #94
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanker
Awesome pics, I have no idea where you could have found these. Thanks for posting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedShred
That's all ya got eh tough guy?

How about "oops guess I was wrong, sorry for talkin shit"
Jesus, you really are a moron. First I offered a comment on the cam issue, was mistaken, and corrected myself in a follow-up post. Then, I complement a guy for posting great pics of a Penton that brings back great memories but you apparently can't stand the thought that I have already forgotten this whole issue and have moved on. However, you continue to embarrass yourself by offering more antagonistic, infantile, imbecilic, middle-school banter trying to get in the last word. I apologize to readers of this thread by wasting this space, as I will not respond to this knucklehead's posts any more.
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #95
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 6,608
Boy, this was a very informational thread. In both cam lubrication methods and human behavior.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #96
TedShred
PHAT BASTARD

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Quote:
Awesome pics, I have no idea where you could have found these. Thanks for posting them.

Jesus, you really are a moron. First I offered a comment on the cam issue, was mistaken, and corrected myself in a follow-up post. Then, I complement a guy for posting great pics of a Penton that brings back great memories but you apparently can't stand the thought that I have already forgotten this whole issue and have moved on. However, you continue to embarrass yourself by offering more antagonistic, infantile, imbecilic, middle-school banter trying to get in the last word. I apologize to readers of this thread by wasting this space, as I will not respond to this knucklehead's posts any more.
There ya go with the name calling again. Guess that really is all ya got

Peace Out.

2006 DRZ400E
2005 R1200GS
TedShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #97
Gsuv
lost

Oddometer: 175
careful or people might think your a

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

(P.S. I think the cam is ok)
Gsuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #98
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,056
Thanks to Bruce for doing what I guess I could have done myself, CONTACT Rotax...

I guess this is a good example of why BMW dealers don't want customers in the shop, especially with a camera!

I don't fault the techs for not knowing about the design, this is a new bike and the first time most anyone here has opened it up. You can't expect BMW to have a service bulletin... "ATTENTION the new Rotax f800 motor has what looks like fucked up cams but in reality it's great engineering, just don't let the customers see it!"

The 8GS now has 11,500 miles on her, and I'm glad I can sleep at night knowing that the cam design is brilliant!

So while you the rest of you were in here proving your intelligence I gave my bike a a good washing in Arkansas...

Now, I can move on to another thread about how riding through rivers the GS is good, but the recent massive heavy rain storms in the midwest that I rode right through ALL the way down and ALL the way back killed the engine multiple times and almost left me stranded in dangerously cold/wet conditions...
Now that pisses me off.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:55 AM   #99
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,274
Great photo.....is the limit for water travel or did you go deeper.

Here in Manitoba, we still have winter, our water is still frozen....
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black, 2010 HD Heritage Softail, 1983 Yamaha RZ350, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE,1967 Honda CD125, 2007 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 2008 Yamaha BWS, 1973 Honda CT 90 Trail, 1980 Honda C70 Cub.
BackRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #100
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,049
Chitown, hard to believe it ran thru water that deep. One hell of a wash job.

Not in love with the heavy rain/stalling issues.

If you come thru hotlanta while I'm here, dinner is on me.
Cagiva Gran Canyon Italiano/rosso...for sale
Honda CL 360/orange...for sale
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:15 AM   #101
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
Now, I can move on to another thread about how riding through rivers the GS is good, but the recent massive heavy rain storms in the midwest that I rode right through ALL the way down and ALL the way back killed the engine multiple times and almost left me stranded in dangerously cold/wet conditions...
Now that pisses me off.

I wonder if it's simlar to the SV650/DL650 stalling issue. That's where the drain holes for the sparkplug wells get clogged, perhaps from a muddy environment. Then the spark plug wells fill with water during a downpour and short out the spark plug caps.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #102
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
I wonder if it's simlar to the SV650/DL650 stalling issue. That's where the drain holes for the sparkplug wells get clogged, perhaps from a muddy environment. Then the spark plug wells fill with water during a downpour and short out the spark plug caps.
No. You don't have to worry about that. Water or mud can never get down into the spark plug wells. Those are sealed on the F8.

But I do think the air intake has a design flaw than can cause water into the air intake when driving in heavy rain and that there is nowhere for the water to go once in the air box but into the engine. I think the easiest way to sort that problem out is simply to remove the rubber pieces at the front of the air intakes and seal the hole in the side panel. The engine will surely get enough air anyway. That should at least help a bit.
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #103
penn&earth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
from an image perspective

I do believe that they are cast in, no question. I think that there are several factors at play that cause you to think that the image looks as if the chunks have broken off.

1st- the image is blurry from camera shake which causes areas from dark to light to spread.

2nd- the dark areas on the edges of the notches are not uniform, from discoloration of the used oil.

3rd- oil is very reflective and even the slightest change in evenness will cause a specular highlight which will make it look non uniform.

I feel that the only way to really get a good assessment is to remove the cam, clean and get good detail shots...

http://theobservantimagist.wordpress.com/

penn&earth screwed with this post 03-29-2009 at 11:00 AM
penn&earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #104
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by penn&earth
I do believe that they are cast in, no question. I think that there are several factors at play that cause you to think that the image looks as if the chunks have broken off.

1st- the image is blurry from camera shake which causes areas from dark to light to spread.

2nd- the dark areas on the edges of the notches are not uniform, from discoloration of the used oil.

3rd- oil is very reflective and even the slightest change in evenness will cause a specular highlight which will make it look non uniform.

I feel that the only way to really get a good assessment for you doubter is to remove the cam, clean and get good detail shots...

Oh boy, you're gonna get it now....

you might want to read the whole thread

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #105
penn&earth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
Oh boy, you're gonna get it now....

you might want to read the whole thread