User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #61
Heatwave
Obsessive-Compulsive

Oddometer: 88
Fuel Pump Issue

My fuel pump motor seized at 2,500 miles. My first real trip since I bought the bike in January. Fortunately I was in cell range of the hotel and some friends came to get me in a pick-up. We had to truck it all the way to Grand Junction 220 miles away. The trip was saved when Derrick at Grand Junction KTM agreed to swap the fuel pump assembly out of their demo. It is an easy swap so I was up and running in 30 minutes.

I have been following the post under orange crush about possible replacement motors since the whole assembly costs $500. Last I looked no one has found a suitable replacement...

Otherwise the bike has been great. Most fun bike I have ever owned.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:36 AM   #62
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,713
Rooting Interest

The SD has been approved for AMA Daytona Sportbike. First race they'll be in is this weekend at Laguna.

http://www.roadracerx.com/news/ktm-s...d-for-ama-pro/
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #63
Bald Kirk OP
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Oddometer: 738
I will be selling my Super Duke

Hey everyone Bald Kirk here.

I thought I would never say this but I will be selling my Super Duke. My family and I will be moving to Honolulu in the next month or so and I have decided not to take it with me. I will probably buy a Yamaha WR250x when I get out there. After a visit to the island I think the Yamaha is more suited for the type of riding I will be doing.

In the next coupld of weeks, after I have a clear title, I will post it in the flea market. I thought I would give any of my fellow Super Duke fans a little advanced notice.

I have the tank bag listed in the flea market already if anyone is interested.

Respectfully,
Bald Kirk
Old 08-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #64
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,812
Looks like a nice bike, hope it sells ok, they are a fun ride huh ?

Are those KTM handguards you have on it ? any problems fitting them ?
I might have to mount up some for the colder months around here.

I bet Hawaii has some good dirtbiking spots.
I watched a program from there and the scenery and trails they showed looked like fun.
KTMRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #65
Bald Kirk OP
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRyder
Looks like a nice bike, hope it sells ok, they are a fun ride huh ?

Are those KTM handguards you have on it ? any problems fitting them ?
I might have to mount up some for the colder months around here.

I bet Hawaii has some good dirtbiking spots.
I watched a program from there and the scenery and trails they showed looked like fun.
Hey there - the handguards were intended for the Adventure. I had to make some adjustements in order for them to fit but it wasn't too bad.

I currently own/am selling multiple street and dirt bikes but I am restricting myself to only one bike on the island. I love leaning a street bike way over but there is something about totally wiping out on a dirt bike that kinda tugs at the heart strings.

There appears to be alot of pavement and not so much dirt. The island is very small and speed limits are lower than the main land. I have narrowed it down to a Yamaha WR250 or Suzuki DR400.

Now I have to decide between knobbie or street tires!

XOXO,
Bald Kirk

Also, I didn't know what to think when I saw the guy on a stretched Huyabusa (wearing flip flops, shorts, a t-shirt and no helmet) creeping along in the heavy Honolulu traffic. I felt sorry for him. All the pent up horsepower and testosterone going to waste.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #66
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,476
Island Bike

Kirk:

I noticed you said you are headed to Honolulu. I lived there for a year and i had a DRZ SM while living there. It was the perfect bike for the island. I even took it up to Kahuku and played in the dirt with it a few times. I also got pulled a couple of times after trying to lane split, they don't allow it here. Can't blame a guy for trying. Enjoy the island!
Old 08-21-2009, 06:38 AM   #67
Bald Kirk OP
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM
Kirk:

I noticed you said you are headed to Honolulu. I lived there for a year and i had a DRZ SM while living there. It was the perfect bike for the island. I even took it up to Kahuku and played in the dirt with it a few times. I also got pulled a couple of times after trying to lane split, they don't allow it here. Can't blame a guy for trying. Enjoy the island!
I am glad to hear that I'm thinking in the right direction.

Kirk
Old 08-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #68
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Kirk
Hey there - the handguards were intended for the Adventure. I had to make some adjustements in order for them to fit but it wasn't too bad.

I currently own/am selling multiple street and dirt bikes but I am restricting myself to only one bike on the island. I love leaning a street bike way over but there is something about totally wiping out on a dirt bike that kinda tugs at the heart strings.

There appears to be alot of pavement and not so much dirt. The island is very small and speed limits are lower than the main land. I have narrowed it down to a Yamaha WR250 or Suzuki DR400.

Now I have to decide between knobbie or street tires!

XOXO,
Bald Kirk

Also, I didn't know what to think when I saw the guy on a stretched Huyabusa (wearing flip flops, shorts, a t-shirt and no helmet) creeping along in the heavy Honolulu traffic. I felt sorry for him. All the pent up horsepower and testosterone going to waste.
i spent 4 weeks in kauai this winter and rented a HD while there, the whole time i wished i had my triumph scrambler .plenty of off road oppertunity and no real highways are ideal for the scrambler, just go up 2 teeth in the back you're set.
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #69
Bert Fox
Casual Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Looking at a new 07 SD

I bought an 08 FJR last year in Nov. I am kind of bored with it and want something lighter. My dealer gave up the KTM street line and has a new leftover SD he will trade me for my FJR with 22,000 miles. I have a 34" inseam and it sounds like the SD is one of the better fits for guys with long legs. I am thinking of putting Pirelli Scorpion Syncs on after I wear out the stockers. I'll never do a track day but I might throw my Giant Loop bags on and take a dirt/gravel road out here in the NV outback...
Bert
www.gnatsass.net
Find us on Facebook. GNATSASS
Bert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #70
Chiasmus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Awesome thread and pics. The SuperDuke has to be the sexiest naked bike on the planet.

One question....Is the rear subframe on the Super Duke R the same as the SD? I ask only because I'm curious as to whether or not you could temporarily convert it to a two-up (pass pegs).
Chiasmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #71
jcarlson9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
08 sd

Just found a couple 08 sd,s with exhausts on if I can talk the wife into letting
me sell the sm,I just may go for it soon,and if you want to sell the r tail piece I'll take it
jcarlson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #72
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Beautiful bikes! Have not ridden one yet but it's on my "list".
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:12 AM   #73
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatwave
Here is another plug for Ian at Cycle Controls. Quick shipping, quality items and easy installation.
Weird place to post this.... ??
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #74
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
SuperDuke Deals

Hey for those who are lucky enough to be liquid during these tough times, there are some very sweet deals on SuperDukes to be had on FleaBay. I'm not really knowledgeable about KTMs but I'm guesstimating new 2008 SuperDukes can be had for about 60% of MSRP right now.
Not the sort of news that will be welcomed by current owners, but if a SuperDuke is on your wish list, now might be a good time to get off the couch.
Tripletreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #75
jcarlson9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
08 sd

just put a down on an 08 sd,if i pick it up next week ill post some photos
jcarlson9 is offline   Reply With Quote