User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,737
Me and my XT225 do Durango/Sinaloa MX

Hey guys. Time for my first RR so go easy on me.
I decided it was time to take the little thumper on a REAL ride and gave it some bling.

Giant Loop Moto saddle bag, oil cooler, pumper carb and real tires. I can't forget to mention the turbo city rack and spitfire windshield. All good stuff.
The bike is nice and light. It does low speed stuff just great and can hold its own down the highway.
This RR is going to begin in Durango.

Whenever going through Durango we shack up at the Hotel Santa Cruz.
The bike got to sit outside the room waiting for the fun stuff to begin.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

There is a great pizza place about 2 blocks up from the hotel.

Here is a sample of their goods.

The hotel does have a great restaurant but we decided to go for the pizza.
The weather was turning bad and I would pay the price the next day.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

My original plan was to take 2 days and go from Durango to Mazatlan via the offroad route first discovered by ldeikis in his thread 2 months solo on a KLR. I did that same route in March of 07 on my DL650 going 2 up with my wife. She swore she would never do it again.
The next morning we are up and about to part ways. Wife and kids in the truck and me going solo on the bike. The weather changed drastically as it was now 43 degrees, raining and bits of sleet coming down. To make matters worse, my bike is now running like crap at this altitude. I decided to change plans and do the espinazo del diablo down to Mazatlan.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

Here I am after 105 miles of cold and sleet.

I had to drain out my boots.
While I am taking care of business, a big rig hauling logs loses a wheel which smashes into this truck and flies through the air landing at the side of the gordita stand.

Here is the gordita stand right before the wheel comes down the hill.

If the parked truck didn't take the first hit, someone would have gotten hurt for sure.

Reposado1800 screwed with this post 03-22-2009 at 04:14 PM
Reposado1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

The weather and poor running bike had me in a funk and I totally forgot about my gas situation. Soon enough I was on reserve and noticed a sign for fuel in Palmito, Sinaloa. We stop here for snacks everytime we go through.

Gas here out of the drum was twice the going rate at Pemex and they only sell it in quantities of 5 or 10 liters. I got 8 liters and had to pay for 10.
The bike jetting got better as we descended down to sea level and soon it was running great.
I stopped in Concordia for a Toni Col. This is my all time favorite soft drink.

By this time I had to use the facilities. I asked the lady at the shop and she said she didn't have a toilet. I made my way across the road to some dirt mounds and took care of business. By this time it was hot and sunny- hard to believe how cold and rainy it was in Durango just a couple of hours ago.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

This is probably my 9th trip to Mazatlan over the years and the place is attractive for all the right reasons.
A picture is worth a thousand words right?

Old 03-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Wooo. that's a lot of miles on that bike!!

Thanks for the intro and lookin' forward to the journey to Mexico!

Old 03-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

The first night I go out for pizza to the Rin Rin on my bike looking like a delivery boy. It takes me 30 minutes to get there, 30 minutes to wait for it and 30 minutes to get back. All the delivery guys check out the XT225 as its a step up from the 125's they run around on.
Seeing the local paper... the night before an older man was hit and killed by a SCOOTER as he stepped off the malecon (boardwalk). They didn't report on the condition of the bike rider but he had to have gotten way messed up too. The cops were out in droves keeping folks slowed down around town. Quite a few Canadians and retired folk in Mazatlan. There were college students but not at all like Acapulco or Cancun.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

We went for lunch down where the Baja Ferry comes in and a group of GS riders from Morelos were there.

I know us Japanese bike riders like to bash the Beemers but there is nothing like seeing a cluster of those GS's at a restaurant. Them be some fine bikes! All the guys on the GS's were older and looked to be having a great time.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,599
Old 03-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #11
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

A view from the hotel window.

A view from the pool.

A view from the beach.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #12
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

There are some cool things to check out in Mazatlan. Isla de Piedra is not an island but a penninsula. You can take a boat taxi over from the docks or ride over by going down by the airport and taking a right. It turns into a gravel road and about 12 miles long. There are some restaurants and small hotels. There are 4 wheelers to rent, kayaks and other stuff. There was even a guy giving ultralight rides which looked pretty risky. You can even rent an RV spot which we did back in '06. The cops are cool with riding on the beach there as long as you keep the speed down where the people are hanging out.
The other cool spot is taking a right at Villa Union and heading through Walamo to Caimanero.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #13
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Hey Clayjars I just wanted to let you know you have an ADV friend in Durango. If you pass back through feel free to give me a shout.

I was checking out your comments on Ikeikis blog about the ride from Mezquital to Ruiz. I did that in September of last year on a KLR 650. I am pleasently suprised to hear that people are taking that route.

Now they have paved the road for about 30 km south of Mezquital but it is still a 12 hour ride in dirt and almost surely the most insanely isolated Sierra Madre crossing in Mexico.

Salud

SR

SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #14
divingbiker
True Blue Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Another great ADVenture

Keep it coming!

'09 F800GS
"09 KLR 650
'08 Harley Davidson CVO Ultra Classic
'04 F650GS
divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #15
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sredak
Hey Clayjars I just wanted to let you know you have an ADV friend in Durango. If you pass back through feel free to give me a shout.

I was checking out your comments on Ikeikis blog about the ride from Mezquital to Ruiz. I did that in September of last year on a KLR 650. I am pleasently suprised to hear that people are taking that route.

Now they have paved the road for about 30 km south of Mezquital but it is still a 12 hour ride in dirt and almost surely the most insanely isolated Sierra Madre crossing in Mexico.

Salud

SR

Awesome! If my theories are correct, there is a route from El Salto down to Rosario, Sinaloa and another from Morelos (east of El Salto) down to San Ignacio, Sinaloa.
I got this bike specifically to do this kind of exploring but the carb jetting and weather hit me by suprise. My XL600 was not affected at all by the altitude in Durango so I thought the little bike would be similiar, I was wrong.
I will be doing it again this summer for sure.

That insanely isolated part is the reason I backed out. I am not taking a crappy running bike into there!
When we did that route on my DL650 with knobbies I started to get a bit afraid while dropping down into the canyon where all the blasting and digging was going on and thinking what am I getting myself into. 2 hours into the ride and my wife was really pissed and then we got lost making a wrong turn going back up to La Guajalota. We got back going the right way but lost an hours time. When we finally got to Brasilia near dusk I asked one of the Indian ladies how far is it to Ruiz. She says uh.....12 hours. 12 hours??? We keep riding in the dark for maybe 2 hours and get to Jesus Maria where there is a rustic hotel. We did 12 hours of seat time and my arms, butt, and everything else felt like it was going to fall off. A dude cooking hotdogs said, people either go out the top of the route or out the bottom but almost nobody does the whole thing straight through. Good stuff.

Reposado1800 screwed with this post 03-22-2009 at 08:18 PM
Reposado1800 is offline   Reply With Quote