User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
Cooltours OP
Rider of passion

Oddometer: 1,475
Black-Forest chery cake, fire, ice and witches

Forecast was nice: "It's going to be a nice day" was announced. That suposed to be good enough for a clear "GO" for our "Springride 2009". I did not listen to the forecast anymore after I've seen the sun-symbols on the chart. That’s why I couldn't really hear anymore that the gal said also something about "frosty temperatures below freezing point ". From such detail we’d anyway really not let them put us off a nice motorcycle ride!

8:30 we headed out into one azure-blue day, 45' all the way northbound to the southern edge of Black Forrest. First destination, the Swiss Wine-Village of Hallau. A friend's brother supposed to serve coffee and croissants in his winery hut. Unfortunately they found it’s still to much off-season to open up the place on Saturday's before noon!
Only 20' after leaving the warmth of my garage, I really started to regret having chosen the summergloves instead of investing 2 more minutes and again go back into the house to catch the warm gear. I badly paid this laziness soon: No handprotectors and no heatgrips could prevent me of making the very s new and strange experience of having burning-blisters on the palm and ice-shelve on the back of the hand, both of it at the very same time.
We decided to ride ahead to the "Steina Muehle", right at the end of the Valley of the river Steina (Steinatal). Disappointment was big as we figured out that even here owners would not start serving their customers good before 10am! Have we stranded in Italy here or what???

Riding the Steinatal, at least, is one excellent highlight of all the southern Black Forest area. So we had still enough adrenaline pumping through our veins and headed again further north. 30' more of greatest motorcycling over completely empty roads. All day long we felt to have all of the roads and landscape just for us alone! That's very much wowing, especially if one knows how it looks around here in high season: Billions of Tourists, good and not so good motorcyclists, car after car, coaches, trailers, campers.... not always a pleasure for sure.

Finally, at around 10 we got our first hot coffee at the restaurant close to Titisee dam wall. During summertime and far into autumn, on weekends you can meet here hundreds of motorcyclists plus a bunch of other folks. Hikers, bikers or just sunday-afternoon-pleasure-tourists flooding 3 parking areas same size like this one.

Anyway, by 10:30 we finally have fed our body's with some heat and was ready to push north again. Next stop: The City of Freiburg i. Br. One of my favorite locations. Medieval roots, some quite relaxed lifestyle, an impressive Dome in the middle of town an a big area the dome on which each Saturday a wonderful colorful market takes place.

Most of all I like the fact that the city hosts an university with all it's concomitant phenomenon.

A guy on a madly painted Honda streetbike with Freiburg-Licenseplate felt pledged himself to guide us to the best parkingspot in town. As he removed his helmet and start talking to us it turned out that he’s Dutch and not at all German, somehow stranded down here in the south.

Some tea and some cups of hot Capuccino worked perfectly again to warm up the suffering from the inside. Also the hot planet above gave it's best. Not that it was really successful yet in terms of temperature, but the light which covered the scenery was wonderful and one could have staid there for ever, only to soak up every detail of the scenery.

It has not yet been lunchtime. So we decided to still eat some more miles. Turned east right north of Freiburg into the Glottertal (don’t let me translate this), and than all the way eastbound to Neuhaeulse from where a narrow road turns north again, down into the rough and steep creek where the Hexenloch Mühle (Whiches-Mill) attracts thousands of tourists during summer season.

End of April until October, when the first snow falls again, the tourist-rock'n'roll is fully on here. The mill fulfills plenty of clichés. Coaches, motorcycles, cars, hikers, bikers and who- and what ever is able to move wind's itself down the narrow road to this very idyllic place in the shady valley. I quiet often yet whished that I'd be the owner of this place! OK, it’s a bit remote and very quiet in wintertime, but it is helluva business in the summer month'.

People come to this place because of several reasons. Beauty of the area surrounding, the old fashioned good-old-times-mill, the "quietness", good air.... but also and, in my personal eyes mainly, because of stuff like THIS:

How ever: The shady slot here currently gets 1.5 - 2 hr's of sunshine dail. Way to less to stay longer than necessary to eat a bowl of soup and some local gastronomic specialties. I anyway bite back the strong caprice for that masterpiece of confectioner’s art (what I’m actually now, while I'm typing this text, deeply regret).

As there was absolutely no traffic (expect half a dozen of these crazy bicyclists that you meet everywhere and everywhen) we took the chance of take some testpics “infront of snow wall”. But it was still very cold. Waaaay to cold to just play around with camera and U-turn 5 or 6 times on a narrow road. So that's the reason why we finally allowed to speak out the usually forbidden words at that time of the day…”let’s move back towards home…” I took the last pics of the day and off we was.

We decide for the "fast" instead of the "nice" way back home and ended up racing down from Furtwangen to Donaueschingen, Blumberg and back into Hallau, where we finally got another hot drink (and this painful knocking and pricking thing in the fingers which I don't know the word in English for) before we again took the last leg back to Zurich via Autobahn.

Notes to myself:
- Always listen to the weather forecast in full length.
- Discover Northern Black Forrest.
- Water flowing over road is not always liquid.

Note to potential 1st-time-Europe-Motorcycle-Visitors:
- It can't be repeated often enough:350km’s (215mls) is a damn long day in the saddle around here!

Cooltours screwed with this post 03-24-2009 at 01:21 AM
Cooltours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
robinhood
robinhood

Oddometer: 2
No room for wimps on this side of the water

Great pics ,thanks for taking us along.I start getting worried when it gets below plus 5c,never mind below freezing lol.
robinhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
Mowster
Stressed Member

Oddometer: 408
Nice RR cooltours

You are an adventure rider to go into the scharzwald this early in the season!

The roads around Todmoos are some of the best riding roads in the world, me thinks
Mowster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
MikJogg
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Yes,i like the blackforest too...

...and winter
MikJogg is offline   Reply With Quote