User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
Teddy OP
Trail Lover

Oddometer: 80
Wink La Gran Sabana - Venezuela

La Gran Sabana, a region situated in the southeast of Bolívar state, in Venezuela, south of the Orinoco River; is completely occupied by the mountain mass of the Guayanas, comprised of concentrations of ancient rocks, generally metamorphic, formed out of blocks of granite. Geographically speaking, the region of the Gran Sabana includes only those parts of the plateaus which developed in the high basin of the Orinoco River, over 800 meters above sea level. The Gran Sabana, defined in that way, extends almost 75,000 Km2 in the south-eastern portion of Bolívar state. The principal sub-basin hydrology is shaped by the rivers: Yuruaní, Aponwao, Kukenán, Suruku, Icabarú, Caruay, Urimán and Antabare.

So, this is how the journey starts:

My father and I took a Ferry at 6:00am from Margarita Island to Puerto la Cruz the Friday before carnivals, the rest of the group rode from Caracas to Puerto la Cruz the same day so we can meet there...

Yep, 3:44 am... you know, old farts need a lot of time to prepare their bikes!

Everything is ready! Let’s go!!!

Waiting for the damn Ferry (it is always late)

Meanwhile the team from Caracas was preparing all!

Then we arrived in Puerto la Cruz (thanks god, I was starting to feel seasick!). We met them at Wendy’s.

After 30 min of riding we had to do a brief stop, all of us were begging for water! (90ºF)

Back on the road Cesar senior had the first flat! (It’s a KTM, what else can you expect? ) His son, Cesar Jr, tried to fix it but we didn’t had a good pump so Julio and Jesus (chuchu) took the rim to ‘’El Tigre’’ (20kms ahead) and solved the problem in a gas station.

We made a little stop at ‘’El Tigre’’ and then we kept riding. There is a Highway (long as hell) between El Tigre and Puerto Ordaz crossing the only pine plantation (big ass plantation) of the country, my KLR was doing 100mph and it felt like 50!

That day we arrived at 8:00 pm in Puerto Ordaz, before entering to the city, Alexander’s Super Enduro ran out of gas, we made a stop at a cop station and one of them gave us gas from his truck... The next day we went to a hardware store and bought some plastic gas cans, just in case of emergency!

Now we have left the city the goal is ‘’Guasipati’’!!! In our first stop we realized that the GIVI saddlebags of Julio were MELTING!!! Those heat resistant panels were not THAT resistant...

Here we are! Guasipati!!! That day the people were celebrating ‘’Los Carnavales del Callao’’ (The Callao Carnivals). The group wanted to go that night but I stayed with my father in the room (They didn’t even took a shower!!!)

The next day we had to ride up to the camp in la sabana! So everybody woke up early and prepared their bikes...

This is a bridge built by Gustave Eifell, but it’s not longer in use, although it still remains as a tourist attraction.

Once in the ‘’Km88’’ we had to stop to fill the mules with gas... gas supply in la sabana and Santa Elena de Uairen is very irregular due to the gas traffic, yes, gas traffic! Here in Venezuela we pay 3$ cents per liter while Brazilians pay $1.30 per liter...

Ahead we found some funny twisties! But the rain ruined it all... this is ‘’La Piedra de la Virgen’’ (The Virgin’s stone)

Here it is! LA GRAN SABANA! The landscapes are just A M A Z I N G.

This is where some scenes of Jurassic Park were filmed!!!

We took a little gravel road to see a monument called ‘’El Soldado Pionero’’ (The Pioneer Soldier)...

Gas is running out so let’s find the station!

Once in the station... WTF???? (thanks god it wasn’t filled with gas)

There are only 70kms left of gravel roads to reach the camp!

The last Kms were the hardest!!! (rocks, sand, rocks, hills, rocks and more rocks)

Finally!!! Campamento Mantopai (Mantopai Camp) that night I slept like a baby...

The next day in the morning Julio, Chuchu, Alexander, Cesar Jr and I, unloaded the bikes and went for a hooligan ride near the camp, it is such a beautiful place!

We found a little town called Kavanayen (That means ‘’Sealed in stone’’ in Pemon language) all the structures are made of stone, there is a beautiful church in the middle of the town... all the kids were watching us as if we were aliens.

That night we slept at the camp and the next day in the morning everybody was ready to leave... That day we had to ride to Santa Elena de Uairen! Oh oh... dead battery!

Santa Elena de Uairen is city in the south of Bolívar State, in Venezuela, capital of the Gran Sabana Municipal District. It is the best place to embark on touristic activities, since it is found near the most impressive natural wonders in the Gran Sabana.

This time we decided to stay in an inn, we were so tired. That night in the dinner we meet a guy that has a Toyota Coaster, he offered us a day tour out of the town so we can visit the principal touristic attractions it sounded good, besides the bikes needed a rest.

The tour was sooooooo exciting!!!

We went to a waterfall called ‘’La Cortina’’, you can pass behind the water curtain but I didn’t dare hehe.

Then we went to another place called ‘’La quebrada de jaspe’’ (Jasper Creek)

Once in the inn we unloaded the bikes, going that far without visiting Brazil is a shame… Carlos knew about a place called ‘’Churrascaria’’ it’s an all you can eat, tons and tons of Brazilian meat mmmm… after that we made a little stop at a souvenir store before leaving the border!

That was the last day of the trip, on Friday morning we left the city and rode to Guasipati… That day something was against us, my father got a broken clutch cable and Julio got a flat! Fortunately everything was solved and we arrived to Guasipati.

In the morning me and my father left earlier than the rest of the group because we had to be at 4:00 pm in Puerto la Cruz to take the ferry… We arrived at Margarita at 8:00 pm. La Gran Sabana is such a big place, we were 1 week and didn’t even know the half of it but it’s a good excuse to return the next year!!!

Teddy screwed with this post 03-23-2009 at 07:09 PM
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,309
Excellent report!

Thanks for sharing.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
aaapaloa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Thumb Venezuela ROCKS!!!!

Epale pana yo soy venezolano tambien, caraqueño, siempre he querido viajar por Venezuela en moto y todavia no lo he hecho, ya lo hare y montare my ride report here jejejej!!!!!

Venezuela is such a great and beautifull country, it`s such a pity we have this animal as president! but WTF!!!! VENEZUELA ROCKS, you guys have to come and ride here!!!!
aaapaloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:26 AM   #4
Teddy OP
Trail Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaapaloa
Epale pana yo soy venezolano tambien, caraqueño, siempre he querido viajar por Venezuela en moto y todavia no lo he hecho, ya lo hare y montare my ride report here jejejej!!!!!

Venezuela is such a great and beautifull country, it`s such a pity we have this animal as president! but WTF!!!! VENEZUELA ROCKS, you guys have to come and ride here!!!!
Que bueno que varios venezolanos participemos por aqui... I would love to ride to Merida, but I still have nothing planned, maybe next year
Old 03-24-2009, 05:17 AM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,233
Wow!! what a fantastic ride report and pics!! We haven't seen this kind of in depth report from Venezuela in a very long time! Thanks for sharing this excellent adventure with us
Old 03-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
repanorider
n00b

Oddometer: 1
A partner

What's up teddy is Chu2 this weekend we the group of Caracas we went to La sabana and them we went to higerote I Have to go to Maragarita to make some of the trips that you make there, se you soon un gran saludo desde aqui desde Caracas Jesus Laya.
repanorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,056
Utterly cool! I was just thinking the other day, we don't get enough ride reports from Venezuela!
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 645
Gracias amigo- I'd heard about 'La Gran Sabana' from some of the Venezuelans I worked with for a number of years- good to finally see some photos of that most interesting area. I enjoyed your report and pics.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:33 AM   #9
Nata Harli
The Accidental Tourista

Oddometer: 2,500
Thanks for taking us along. It's nice to see a report from Venezuela. Here's hoping you post more reports about your beautiful country.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Teddy OP
Trail Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by repanorider
What's up teddy is Chu2 this weekend we the group of Caracas we went to La sabana and them we went to higerote I Have to go to Maragarita to make some of the trips that you make there, se you soon un gran saludo desde aqui desde Caracas Jesus Laya.
What's up chuchu? of course you have to come, how can you miss these lovely sandy trails? (ask carlos hehe) you're always welcome! here are some pics with my father and my old Suzuki TS125:

Old 03-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #11
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,596
very nice report, and what a beautiful country!

thanks for sharing your story.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #12
Macgyver01
Venezuelan Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Bonus Pics!

Bonus pics from the trip:

The view from Mantopai:

From right to left: Cesar, Alexander, Cesar's Jr Girlfriend, Cesar Jr.

Teddy Jr and Father.

Teddy and Julio.

Little pemon Kid.

The locals:

At the laundry!

We went for a little walk near the camp searching for a river, unfornately, the only thing we found was a very very deep forest

This is somewhere near Kavanayen...

Back on the road!

The machos!

This is a guy that has been traveling for 2 years from Argentina... His name is Andres and he is an architect.

This is in the border between Brasil and Venezuela!

At the ''churrascaria''.

Filling the mules.

Ooops!

This is me at ''La Piedra de la Virgen''.

Venezuela is such a nice place! I'm sure that you'll be watching more RR from here sooner!

Macgyver01 screwed with this post 04-09-2009 at 08:13 AM
Macgyver01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #13
Dessert Storm
Dances With Drunks

Oddometer: 753
Wow! fantastic report and pics. Thanks for posting.

(Manti are dumplings not all too different from gyoza or pelmini) - Tourist.
Dessert Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #14
Lash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Fantastic! What scenery . . .
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #15
Andres A
FINDING NEMO

Oddometer: 242
Great ride, pic's and report, thanks for share, more pic's more