User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2015, 07:03 AM   #1
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
F800GS Suspension Weenie

I know just about nothing about suspension adjusting or modifications, so please bear with me...

Can someone give an idea of what the "normal" life of the shocks (particularly the rear one) are? Of course it would depend on how hard the bike is ridden and on what kinds of roads, as well as the load (passenger, luggage) that is usually carried. But would you say the shock should last 30,000 km? 40,000? 50,000 or more?

I've got close to 50,000 km on my bike now and I'm feeling that the rear is somewhat, uh, "soft". Is it time to look into suspension mods?

My plan (depending on finances) is only to keep the bike for the rest of this season, maybe another 20,000 km or so.

Any suggestions on what I should do?
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
Saltboxlad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
It'll be shot mate Im afraid, yeah, somebody will be along in a minute to say they have done 80K miles on the original shock and its fine, it aint. They are basic shocks to start with, Ohlins needs a rebuild after 25K, some sooner.

To be fair though, my 2013 GS is the first bike Ive had in a while where I havent felt the need to junk the shock immediately, but Im 80Kg, never ride with a pillion or much luggage and dont do extreme off-road stuff. But, I still know the bike could be so much better with a fork rebuild and new rear shock, the Bank Manager though tells me that a new bathroom and patio is more important, dont remember that bit at the altar, bugger.

But, you aint keeping the bike, so what to do? Find a cheap used one on Flea Bay maybe or stick a Hyperpro spring on yours, or just crank the preload and damping up and ride on oblivious. Thing is, the chances are that whoever buys your bike wont recognise what good suspension should feel like anyway, and if they do they'd be swapping it out pronto, even if it was new.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #3
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 4,402
The snow's melted in Montreal then?

Yeah, I have 80K road kms on mine but have installed a Hyperpro spring and I run full dampening. Stock shocks can be had cheap. I've got nearly new ones for the cost of shipping from Inmates and one I went as high as $25 plus shipping.

No you can't have my spare.

If you're worried about it then get a spare but if it works well enough then leave it for the sale.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
Saltboxlad
Adventurer

Hey Reaver, does the Hyperpro spring work ok? I put one on Tiger 955 a few years back but it just seemed to overwhelm the damping, was a big old bus mind you.

Just curious really, as I said above for stock suspension my 2013 actually isnt too bad, Im led to believe the pre 13's were worse. Mines got the pretty stupid half-fat ESA which does complicate replacements a bit.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

I forgot to mention that my bike is a factory-lowered version. Does this make a difference in options available to me?

How can I determine whether or not the shock is worn out? There is no leakage that I can see.

Is changing the springs (to Hyperpro maybe) all that's needed or should the shocks also be changed? Any point in doing just the rear or should both front and rear be done at the same time?

Is the job relatively easy to do, or is someone with Reaver-like skills required? :)

Thanks again...
Old 05-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #6
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltboxlad View Post
Hey Reaver, does the Hyperpro spring work ok? I put one on Tiger 955 a few years back but it just seemed to overwhelm the damping, was a big old bus mind you.

Just curious really, as I said above for stock suspension my 2013 actually isnt too bad, Im led to believe the pre 13's were worse. Mines got the pretty stupid half-fat ESA which does complicate replacements a bit.
We had Hyperpro in all the GS's. I never seemed to feel a big difference but after a few years we got another one and It felt like crap. I wondered WTH is wrong with it. Oh yeah. Installed the Hyperpros and that was the difference!

The rear in the 13+ are the same aside from the electronics. The front forks went from Marzocchi to WP. I've never ridden one so I can't say.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #7
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

I forgot to mention that my bike is a factory-lowered version. Does this make a difference in options available to me?

How can I determine whether or not the shock is worn out? There is no leakage that I can see.

Is changing the springs (to Hyperpro maybe) all that's needed or should the shocks also be changed? Any point in doing just the rear or should both front and rear be done at the same time?

Is the job relatively easy to do, or is someone with Reaver-like skills required? :)

Thanks again...
Hyperpro sells shorty springs. Don't know if the result is the exact same height tho.

The fork oil is due at 30K km intervals. Done that yet?

The rear shock change is not too bad. Changing the spring isn't bad either if you like a bit of tension now and then.

Ride down here and we'll have a go!
Old 05-21-2015, 11:39 AM   #8
Saltboxlad
Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
We had Hyperpro in all the GS's. I never seemed to feel a big difference but after a few years we got another one and It felt like crap. I wondered WTH is wrong with it. Oh yeah. Installed the Hyperpros and that was the difference!

The rear in the 13+ are the same aside from the electronics. The front forks went from Marzocchi to WP. I've never ridden one so I can't say.
Thanks mate
Old 05-21-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, the fork oil was done at 30K.

As I said, I'm a real weenie with this... what's likely needing to be replaced at the rear? The shock? Spring? Or both?

I got the name of a suspension place here in Montreal that's used by most of the off-road crowd around here and what they do is rebuild the existing shock. I would have to remove it and bring it to them, and they rebuild it to a much higher spec (according to them and the off-road guys I spoke with) for really not very much money. Only problem (and it's a major one for me) is that the process takes about 3 weeks. And our riding season is already so horribly short that I really don't want to be without the bike for that long. Heck, even a day without my baby would be tough.

A possibility is that I can locate a used shock and bring that to them to rebuild, but again I'm a weenie and have no idea what to look for (or if the factory lowered bike uses the same shock as a stock bike) or where to look for it.

Having a shock rebuilt to a better spec sounds like all I would really need, since I don't do any hard-core off road stump jumping stuff. The worst I do is ride a fully loaded bike along the Trans Lab. With a better shock, the stock spring should/might still be enough, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Hyperpro sells shorty springs. Don't know if the result is the exact same height tho.

The fork oil is due at 30K km intervals. Done that yet?

The rear shock change is not too bad. Changing the spring isn't bad either if you like a bit of tension now and then.

Ride down here and we'll have a go!
Old 05-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #10
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
I'd either ride it until you sell it or buy a used shock on ebay or from someone here and have a shop swap your lowered spring onto it. Swapping the spring shouldn't take long.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #11
Torque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
I do not understand.
Why not just service the shock?
The spring does not go bad for many years.
Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #12
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
I thought they were sealed units. Race Tech can drill and put in a valve for nitrogen and change oil weight, but not that cheap.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:15 AM   #13
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer

That's what the locally recommended company does. They service the shock and optionally put in higher performance parts (they told me what, but as a suspension weenie I don't remember). But it takes about three weeks to get this done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque View Post
I do not understand.
Why not just service the shock?
The spring does not go bad for many years.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:17 AM   #14
Mtl_Biker OP
Studly Adventurer

It's my understanding that they are sealed units, but they can be serviced with them being rebuilt with stock or upgraded components. At least that's what I was told by the local suspension gurus.

What's "not that cheap"? Up here I'd be looking at less than $200 CDN for servicing the shock with stock components and about $400 with upgraded parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I thought they were sealed units. Race Tech can drill and put in a valve for nitrogen and change oil weight, but not that cheap.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:16 AM   #15
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
It's my understanding that they are sealed units, but they can be serviced with them being rebuilt with stock or upgraded components. At least that's what I was told by the local suspension gurus.

What's "not that cheap"? Up here I'd be looking at less than $200 CDN for servicing the shock with stock components and about $400 with upgraded parts.
Race tech doesn't list prices anymore, because they have expanded the options offered. You will have to call them. To upgrade stock shock to include a gold valve used about $600+? Their bottom line G3 was a little more, but I think better as it separates oil and nitrogen? Those are ? because I did not pursue it, as I already had bought an aftermarket.

http://racetech.com/page/title/BMW%20F800GS

itsatdm screwed with this post 05-22-2015 at 11:48 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote