dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
Zumo Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULELUZE
Here is my setup..
Thanks for the pic! I have two questions:
1- That's just the TT bracket with the Garmin cradle? You aren't using the TT cradle with the Garmin one? It's hard to tell with the shadows...
2- How did you mount the antenna? That is an antenna right? Just double stick to the reservoir cap?
Old 06-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #78
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedar
The Zumo 550 is too rich for me, and I do not need or want Bluetooth, XM, or Text to Speech. The Zumo 450 might be a contender, but it is discontinued, and only available on eBay now as a refurb.
Well, as luck would have it, I found a Zumo 450 that was still in the store! I was watching a few on eBay, but the cheapest one was in NY. I was going to have it delivered to my box there, but I would end up paying a chunk of NY sales tax, so it was not cost effective anymore.

I was in the outdoor store near my house looking for compression sacs, and on a whim, I went to look at the GPSs, and they had the Zumo 450!

It had a sticker listing it at $699 Cdn. I was at another location earlier in the week that had the 550 marked $899 plus $50 off, so I asked the manager why they didn't have any marked down there. It turned out that it was an open box. Everything was there except the screwdriver, but, there was a car cradle, and 2 x 12v chargers for the car. He came back and offered it to me at $449 So I had to buy it...

I also ended up having just 18 days left to get the map updates, so now it has Navigator 2010 on it to boot! Full registration with Garmin wasn't a problem, and they are sending me a screwdriver Uhhh, I'm sorry maam, it wasn't in the box I didn't tell them that it was opened And all of the onboard software is now up to date as well (copyright went from 2007 to 2009, I don't remeber the versions right now)

I cant wait to get out and try it

It is mounted with the included RAM stuff, but I am not too happy with the placement, which is why I have been asking about the TT stuff.

It has also been wired with the Garmin wire and BMW plug, based on the info in my other post here.

Pics to follow!
Old 06-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #79
ULELUZE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Thanks for the pic! I have two questions:
1- That's just the TT bracket with the Garmin cradle? You aren't using the TT cradle with the Garmin one? It's hard to tell with the shadows...
2- How did you mount the antenna? That is an antenna right? Just double stick to the reservoir cap?
Yes it is a TT Bracket with this TT part

Dont know the part number, but it was $28.00 CDN.

I attached the XM antenna with heavy duty two sided velcro tape.
ULELUZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #80
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Quote:

Can anyone ID this thing? By name or Part Number?

Google is NOT my friend today, don't ask how I know
Old 06-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #81
CoydogSF
Ambitious Amatuer

Oddometer: 105
Just got a Zumo 660 mounted

Mounted my new Zumo 660 a couple weeks ago and immediately started looking into the fancy TT mount. After the sticker shock and uncertainty of availability, I took a closer look at a friend's TT mount and got some ideas to make the stock RAM mount a little more shock absorbent.

I tried various combinations of rubber feet and drilled out rubber bottle stoppers sandwiched between the RAM mount and the crable which worked well but I wasn't sure how much they were really doing. The latest incarnation (which I plan to test out on a trial run out to Carnagie tomorrow) uses springs as shown below. Seems like it would take up a lot of the force transfered to the unit from a bump. A little concerned about the springs fatiguing over time but would be easy enough to carry some of the rubber feet as a back up.

UPDATE if anyone cares: I tested it out today on a couple challenging offroad loops (including one somewhat "shocking" get off) and it worked great.

CoydogSF screwed with this post 06-27-2009 at 07:58 PM
CoydogSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #82
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Quote:

I found it!

It is NOT a TT part, but a BMW one!

It is a GPS mount for the R series GS:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472320

BMW P/N: 71607671108

It was $27.99 CDN.
I showed the parts guy the photo, and he knew right away...
Old 06-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #83
ULELUZE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
I found it!

It is NOT a TT part, but a BMW one!

It is a GPS mount for the R series GS:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472320

BMW P/N: 71607671108

It was $27.99 CDN.
I showed the parts guy the photo, and he knew right away...
Weird... Cause I got it from Touratech Canada! hmmmmm.....
ULELUZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #84
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Quote:
Weird... Cause I got it from Touratech Canada! hmmmmm.....
Guess where I was?

My dealership, Moto Internationale IS TT Canada

The parts guy knew right away what I wanted...
Old 06-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #85
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Garmin Zumo 450

Not to hijack this thread too much more, here is my Garmin Zumo 450 with the RAM mounts that come with it:

I will be switching the mount shortly to be more like the one that ULELUZE has. The parts on on order.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #86
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Need to know about hardwiring my gps

hello, can someone please answer my question before I try to do this tomorrow before i ride?

I just bought a used '09 F800GS (dream come true, deal too good to pass up) a couple days ago and want to hardwire my old tom-tom rider 2 unit from my street bike so I can navigate to some cool roads....

I don't know if my dealer understood or if I heard right when he answered but my question is:

Can I hardwire my GPS to the battery of the F800GS without worrying about some fancy German electronic stuff???

Thanks, unfortunately I don't have a clear answer or a manual just yet.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #87
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
hello, can someone please answer my question before I try to do this tomorrow before i ride?

I just bought a used '09 F800GS (dream come true, deal too good to pass up) a couple days ago and want to hardwire my old tom-tom rider 2 unit from my street bike so I can navigate to some cool roads....

I don't know if my dealer understood or if I heard right when he answered but my question is:

Can I hardwire my GPS to the battery of the F800GS without worrying about some fancy German electronic stuff???

Thanks, unfortunately I don't have a clear answer or a manual just yet.
You can definitely hard wire the GPS. From earlier in the thread:
Quote:
There is a good How-To on the F800 Rider's forum on making a GPS cable:
http://f800riders.org/HoW/showentry.php?e=29&catid=6
I have done this for my Garmin. For yours, you would just need to specific GPS connector and the BMW one to splice together.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #88
shleppy
Shlepdawg on da smoov tip

Oddometer: 605
2nd powerlet install

FYI... As the link in DukeDakar's post indicated, you can hardwire your gps right to the battery (no problems there) or if you prefer to use dedicated powerlet plug to power your gps (not the factory powerlet plug), you can add a 2nd powerlet plug adjacent to the ignition key ring.

I hardwired my Zumo to the battery (with no issues), but I also added a 2nd powerlet plug because the stock plug only allows a draw of 5 amps. 5 amps just aint gonna cut it for a heated vest or pump. There a post HERE that shows how to cleanly add a 2nd powerlet plug.

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS
shleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:28 AM   #89
Hytram
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
I got tired of peering around my GPS to see the tach, so I moved it onto a RAM mount and replaced the wing nut and hex bolt with a less-easily stolen metric hex-key bolt and nylock nut. Then I mounted my Spot on a flat piece of aluminum I fabbed up to work with the old Touratech bar mount. It's velcroed onto the plate, and then wrapped in a velcro strap. It's not going anywhere. I can see everything at a glance, and the Spot is optimally situated for tracking.

David
anyone

In a few weeks time I am hiring a 800GS in Switzerland for 3 weeks across the alps and plan to take my spot and Garmin Oregon with me and want to set it up like this above, I just took delivery of the Touratech lockable mount for the Gamin and want to use as many parts as I can to fit back on my Strom when I get back

I am going to use RAM mounts as I have a few bits and pieces lying around. The question is what diameter are the 800GS bars in the middle? looks like I might only have to buy the larger U-bolt with ball

also.. I am I right in guessing the 12v outlet next the ignition is switched on/off with the ignition?

ta

Marty

Hytram screwed with this post 07-27-2009 at 01:20 AM
Hytram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:14 AM   #90
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hytram
The question is what diameter are the 800GS bars in the middle? looks like I might only have to buy the larger U-bolt with ball

also.. I am I right in guessing the 12v outlet next the ignition is switched on/off with the ignition?
The bars are 1" in the middle, a little large for the standard U-bolt unless you modify it. Might be better to get this instead.

It's called a "Strap Rail Base".

And the power outlet is controlled by the Can BUS, not exactly switched with the ignition but it won't stay on long after you switch it off.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote