User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2009, 05:03 AM   #1
LimeRider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
New 800GS owner with questions

Greetings to all of you! This site seems to be filled with helpful people and an excellent source of information.

My new F 800GS should be ready to be picked up by the weekend. I do have several bikes; the closest to this is a 2006 KLR 650. However, I am new to BMW and I have a few questions.

$190.00 for a battery charger??? I see BMW chargers for sale on eBay for $70.00, is there any reason to buy a charger from the dealer?

Bottom skid plate and engine protection bars? I live in a rural area, and I expect to take this bike off road often. To me, the bottom plate makes good sense, but it is not clear to me what the bars would save. The engine on the 800 is tucked away inside the frame.

Brush guards, do these do anything strange at high speeds?

Any of you familiar with the “protective 7 year warranty”? It would allow me to take the bike to any ASCE certified repair shop for warranty work. Normally, I stick with the OEM warranties…but the closest BMW dealer to me is a 5 hour ride.

I do not have the manual yet, but I expect there is a recommended 600 mile check up or something. Is it imperative that this be performed by a BMW dealer? Again, it would be a 5 hr ride back to nearest dealer.
Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

LimeRider screwed with this post 03-24-2009 at 05:23 AM
LimeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:13 AM   #2
dialdn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRider
Greetings to all of you! This site seems to be filled with helpful people and an excellent source of information.

My new F 800GS should be ready to be picked up by the weekend. I do have several bikes; the closest to this is a 2006 KLR 650. However, I am new to BMW and I have a few questions.
1. $190.00 for a battery charger??? I see BMW chargers for sale on eBay for $70.00, is there any reason to buy a charger from the dealer?
2.Bottom skid plate and engine protection bars? I live in a rural area, and I expect to take this bike off road often. To me, the bottom plate makes good sense, but it is not clear to me what the bars would save. The engine on the 800 is tucked away inside the frame.
3.Brush guards, do these do anything strange at high speeds?
4.Any of you familiar with the “protective 7 year warranty”? It would allow me to take the bike to any ASCE certified repair shop for warranty work. Normally, I stick with the OEM warranties…but the closest BMW dealer to me is a 5 hour ride.
5.I do not have the manual yet, but I expect there is a recommended 600 mile check up or something. Is it imperative that this be performed by a BMW dealer? Again, it would be a 5 hr ride back to nearest dealer.
Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
Thread should probably be moved here
Old 03-24-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,635
Thumb Bring More Wallet

Welcome to the world of BMW. There are plenty of things that my dealer sells that I consider "over priced" and don't hesitate to by elsewhere. I usually tell my dealer that I found the same product for cheaper and that helps them in being competitive. There are somethings that are worth the price, such as riding gear ect. ect.

As for crash bars; just about anyone here will tell you they are worth it. There are plenty of after market products that are cheaper and better the BMW. I personally like "Adventure Spec" protection products for my 800. Those cute plastic side panels over the air intake are probably about $400.00 each. It'll save you money in cosmetics.

Your 600 mile service usually comes included in the price of purchasing the bike. Let em do it. When I brought mine in they also found the steering head bearing were a bit loose. Would you have checked that?

Best of Luck!
Old 03-24-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Buy a battery tender and hook it up straight to the battery, much cheaper and does the same thing.

Moved to Beasts where F800GS talk happens. GSpot is about the boxer GS.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,588
Here is the links that will give you a lot of info

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415604

I would recommend looking at aftermarket companies to buy accessories. The dealer is way to expensive and there is better stuff out there.
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
i like the bmw skid plate cause it covers the cat converter and to my knowledge its the only 1 that does ----everything else aftermarket
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
LimeRider OP
Adventurer

Wow, thanks for all the timely responses! What all is included with the "adventure spec"? I have been reading posts here and it sounds like the bike comes factory with street tires...

Thanks,
Old 03-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
KLRscoob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
8gs

Go for the BMW skidplate, take a look at the location of the oil filter, better safe than sorry, the engine gaurds are just a precaution, heaven forbid you drop it, they will hopefully save some of the damage. I let the dealer do my first service as well, they caught the headset bearings as well and I would have not looked a wink at them. I utilized the BMW factory accessories, they just always seem to mount up without a hitch and the quality is top notch. I hope you have a great time with a great bike. Happy riding. Congrats!
KLRscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
I bought a "BMW type" battery charger from ebay for less than $50 and its great. I use it on my R1100S and the F800GS.

On the F8, I fitted a fused auxilary power socket on the other side of the ignition switch and its hard wired directly to the battery with very heavy gauge wire. I use this socket for the battery charger. Its simple and works. Cost less than $20.
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
LimeRider OP
Adventurer

Bigem, I did something similiar on my KLR. Any chance you have a pic of how you mounted it?

Thanks
Old 03-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #11
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Bigem, I did something similiar on my KLR. Any chance you have a pic of how you mounted it?

Thanks
I will see what I can do. Camera in hand!!
Old 03-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #12
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

This shot of fused socket.

This shot of wiring.

Not much to it but its reliable and wont catch fire. The wire gauge needs to be very heavy! I use this socket for charging my mobile, running the GPS etc
Hope this helps
Old 03-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #13
LimeRider OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the pics! Looks factory! Thanks for the tip, I hope you don't mind if I copy your design. Great idea...
Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 PM   #14
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the pics! Looks factory! Thanks for the tip, I hope you don't mind if I copy your design. Great idea...
Go for your life my friend. I picked up the all the bits from my local auto store and it took all of about 30 minutes to do the job. Let us know how you go.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #15
rspa
n00b

Oddometer: 3
skid plate

check out farkle fab, h.d. 3/16" alum. I have the skid plate still no bike.
rspa is offline   Reply With Quote