Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2009, 05:19 AM   #16
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,130
There is a nice "how-to" over here:

http://f800riders.org/HoW/showentry.php?e=29&catid=6

Note that BMW also provides a tap from the electrical system to power a GPS or other "switched" low current device.....

Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:22 AM   #17
LimeRider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
nice post, thank you!
Old 03-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #18
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
There is a nice "how-to" over here:

http://f800riders.org/HoW/showentry.php?e=29&catid=6

Note that BMW also provides a tap from the electrical system to power a GPS or other "switched" low current device.....

Jim
Can you charge the battery through this BMW system socket?
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #19
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,130
You can charge the battery thru the standard "cigarette lighter" only with the $100+ BMW charger. That's because the cigarette lighter (and the GPS plug) are connected to the CAN-Bus so it takes a smart BMW charger to tell the CAN-Bus to "let it past" and charge the battery, sorry no $25 "Battery Tender" type chargers allowed

The most common alternatives I have seen are to:

1) Wire an SAE or Gerbing "pigtail" from the battery to come out beside the seat.
Here is one example of that:

http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...-15-amp-26/196

You might want to do that so you have a plug for heated vest or whatever anyway...

2) Rewire the "stock" BMW plug directly to the battery avoiding the CAN-Bus

3) Replace the stock plug with a US cigarette lighter plug wired directly to the battery. Which might be handy if you wanted to plug in other stuff with US cigarette plug.

4) put a 2nd plug in the style of your choice in the other side of the center fairing wired to the battery directly and use that one.
(location for 2nd plug shown here)

The Powerlet site has the right goodies for any of those options.

http://www.powerletproducts.com

Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:29 PM   #20
Grantzilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I would get the skid plate right away if you plan on off-roading much. I have a big ding in my lower pipes from a rock hit off-roading. The stock skid plate doesn't cover jacks**t. The oil cooler also got chipped up from rocks hitting it. A good skid plate will protect this too.

I also got crash bars after seeing what just a standing still tip over does to the plastic radiator guards.

Handguards are always a good idea and I've got them due in before I learn the hard way like I did with the other 2 items.
Grantzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #21
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,379
I'd like to get that alarm harness out of the way, so I can use that small storage space more efficiently. I've been able to unplug the harness easily but how do you remove the blank plug it is attached to?

Old 05-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #22
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Don't get the BMW hand guards if you think you might want a friction type throttle cruise control (ie;Kaoko). Aftermarket offers some very nice ones that provide both better hand/controls protection and block more wind...for MUCH less $$$.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #23
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
I'd like to get that alarm harness out of the way, so I can use that small storage space more efficiently. I've been able to unplug the harness easily but how do you remove the blank plug it is attached to?
Remove the plug from the cover, then slide the cover back the opposite way. Took me a while to figure it out when I did the same thing. I just folded the lead over and then zip tied it off to the side. Makes the space much more useable. Ive got my mini tire pump and patch kit in there now.
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #24
EdOriginal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Adventure Spec Bars..beware

I'm sure all BMW dealers will probably not do this but my dealer says they will have to charge an extra hour of labor on some service due to the "heigth" of the Adv-Spec bars verses lower bars like the SW-Motech. My dealer tech says the Adv-Specs were a bitch to take of and put back on COMPARED to other crash bras and A-Spec's had to be taken off more frequently due to the heigth up the side of the false tank. I was sure I wanted Adv-Specs until I heard this and ended up going with SW-Motech last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaddy
As for crash bars; just about anyone here will tell you they are worth it. There are plenty of after market products that are cheaper and better the BMW. I personally like "Adventure Spec" protection products for my 800. Those cute plastic side panels over the air intake are probably about $400.00 each. It'll save you money in cosmetics.
Best of Luck!
Old 05-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #25
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,379
I'm not really sure why you'd need to take off the ADV-spec crash guards, they stand out a good distance from the plastic panels and those can be removed without touching the guards. I can see them needing to remove them if the blocked access to the panels but they don't seem to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS
Remove the plug from the cover, then slide the cover back the opposite way. Took me a while to figure it out when I did the same thing. I just folded the lead over and then zip tied it off to the side. Makes the space much more useable. Ive got my mini tire pump and patch kit in there now.
Thanks!
Old 05-10-2009, 07:04 AM   #26
EdOriginal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Access to pannels

That is the exactly the reason the dealer service manager said they caused them problems..the A-Specs block access to the lower side panels since they are so tall.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:06 AM   #27
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
Adv Spec

I got all my side panels off with no issue. Guess your dealer didn't try too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdOriginal
That is the exactly the reason the dealer service manager said they caused them problems..the A-Specs block access to the lower side panels since they are so tall.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #28
Roy Barnes
Riding for the SON

Oddometer: 25
Battery

Is there a Oddssey battery for the F658gs. I could not find one so ended up with a battery made in china.
Roy Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #29
alexcorral
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
You can charge the battery thru the standard "cigarette lighter" only with the $100+ BMW charger. That's because the cigarette lighter (and the GPS plug) are connected to the CAN-Bus so it takes a smart BMW charger to tell the CAN-Bus to "let it past" and charge the battery, sorry no $25 "Battery Tender" type chargers allowed
You can hook up a Battery Tender Jr. through the standard power socket before you switch off the ignition and the battery will continue to charge after you switch it off.

By the way, Smae manufacturer makes the Battery Tender Jr and the BMW intelligent charger
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #30
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
I had a Tender for my R1150 GS that just would not work on the F800GS. Hooked it directly to the battery (using the provided harness) and it works like a charm.