Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #46
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedar
You guys without alarms make me jealous
Remove it and sell it in the Flea Market.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #47
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
Remove it and sell it in the Flea Market.
Maybe , it came with the BMW 'kit". Of course then I am stuck looking for that terminator-resistor cap thingy... and who knows what else...
Old 03-29-2010, 05:15 AM   #48
yellow zebra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Thumb re: terminating resistor cap

thanks, r8ridn and others, I relocated the 'alarm plug' and it's terminating resistor cap as instructed - an easy process and MUCH more space - really cannot understand why BMW located it slap bang centre when 90% (?) of 800's do NOT have the alarm module pre-installed?

I found it a little tricky to relocate the alarm plug: I have 'size 12' hands, which don't work well in very small places, and the back (hidden) push-release thingy (!), was difficult to unlatch.

then when I later unclipped the terminating resistor cap, I had to use a little 'force', which, when it came free, shot it into an inaccesible part of the engine!

So I unscrewed the Bosch 'module' (flat silver module under seat) WITHOUT unplugging it, and retrieved said resistor cap!

When finished, I must say, I felt smug, sort of a cross between working on the space shuttle AND performing open heart surgery!!!

Thanks all - and easy mod, with great benefits.
I also put my tow strap away in the number plate 'secret storage'...
yellow zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #49
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Cool beans! You did it good and right. The extra space is nice.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #50
yellow zebra
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Report Back (pictures To Follow)

Really enjoying the extra space freed up by relocating the alarm plug + resistor cap: my aftermarket toolkit fits in brilliantly now - no bending and cajoling to get it in, it fits well, and I can even slip something small down one side of it.

Pics to follow - thanks all!
yellow zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #51
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
Yes ... with the plug out of the way, I have room for a digital volt-ohm meter and a modest first-aid kit in the space - it was on of my earlier mods!

Note ... the cavity is not water-tight.
I sealed the "slots" in the bottom of the cavity where the plug was originally attached which seriously reduced but did not completely eliminate water infiltration in wet conditions.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #52
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
In addition water will get in between the seat and rear plastic. The easiest way was to zip-lock bag anything carried there.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #53
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Factory Electric receptacle

What plug fits in there? Is it only good for the BMW charger? I'm thinking hard wired Battery Tender.
I've heard it called a GPS power source but my Lowrance XOG uses a US cigarettte/cigar lighter plug. Do I buy one of those plugs from BMW and whack the US end off of my power cord and attach the BMW plug or what?
Just ordered my ram mount for the GPS but still no place to plug it in.
appreciate any info.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:35 AM   #54
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Poke around this website... it'll be fun, you'll spend money ...

http://www.powerletproducts.com/shop...-cables/PWRCBL
Old 06-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #55
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Power cable site

What a cool site. Curse you JRWooden. Just what I need another place to spend money. There I was thinking all I needed was an outlet to plug in my cigarette lighter plug for my Lowrance XOG.
I have now learned that I have a powerlet on my F800GS. I thought it was some kind of screwy European cigarette lighter. Go figure.

Your thoughts. Would there be any reason why I couldn't buy there 10" powerlet to cigar lighter adapter and plug my cigarette lighter plug into that to run my XOG for 19.95 instead of a powerlet to mini USB for 49.95?

Where is the flea market. I want to sell some 500 mile TKC 80s- Not liking the ride of them at all. Put the Michelin anakee or whatever back on it.

Thanks
Old 06-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #56
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

lost key

Lost my ignition key and the vario case key. Gotta go to dealer for ignition key but what about Vario case key. Dealer too?

thanks
Old 06-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #57
yellow zebra
Gnarly Adventurer

just use ONE key!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320
Lost my ignition key and the vario case key. Gotta go to dealer for ignition key but what about Vario case key. Dealer too?

thanks
the Vario's were designed to work with the ignition key, and the barrel locks can be re-configured - at minimal cost - to match your ignition key!
So don't buy new locks, get the existing one's re-configured!
Et Voila!
Old 06-07-2010, 04:22 AM   #58
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320
What a cool site. Curse you JRWooden. Just what I need another place to spend money. There I was thinking all I needed was an outlet to plug in my cigarette lighter plug for my Lowrance XOG.
I have now learned that I have a powerlet on my F800GS. I thought it was some kind of screwy European cigarette lighter. Go figure.

Your thoughts. Would there be any reason why I couldn't buy there 10" powerlet to cigar lighter adapter and plug my cigarette lighter plug into that to run my XOG for 19.95 instead of a powerlet to mini USB for 49.95?

Where is the flea market. I want to sell some 500 mile TKC 80s- Not liking the ride of them at all. Put the Michelin anakee or whatever back on it.

Thanks
Why yes.... thank you somebody has to get this world out of recession, I do what I can to prime the consumer spending pump

I can't think of any reason why the adapter would not work, but you get extra points for "cleverness in execution" and the adapter would give you less stuff flopping around on the bike - one of the adapters is hard-wired which would leave you with just a small and very sexy mini-USB plug showing ... (also no fear of riding in wet weather... see there I go again up-selling you)

Click the "ADVrider > " thing at the top of the page then go GEAR --> Flea Market to sell stuff.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:26 AM   #59
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow zebra
the Vario's were designed to work with the ignition key, and the barrel locks can be re-configured - at minimal cost - to match your ignition key! So don't buy new locks, get the existing one's re-configured!
Et Voila!
Yeah... what he said ... although I understand it is a bit of a bitch to get the barrel back OUT of the case once installed.

Most dealers also have a box of "spare" keys from the varios in the back room - left over from rekeying locks to match other folk's ignition set.

They look just like the ignition key (the plastic over-mold is a different color I think) take YOUR key number (it is a number like K1234) in with you and ask sweetly they may let you kick thru the box and see if you can find some extra keys that will match your ignition (and luggage) once keyed properly.

You can't start the bike with the spare key as it does not have the electronics in it, but is still nice to have for moving bike and the cases.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:13 AM   #60
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow zebra
the Vario's were designed to work with the ignition key, and the barrel locks can be re-configured - at minimal cost - to match your ignition key!
So don't buy new locks, get the existing one's re-configured!
Et Voila!
All explained here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300753

All 3 of my Varios were done for free (1 from eBay, 2 from the flea market).