Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #136
gary138
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Hi Phil, Great trip report !!!!!! It's amazing what a good collage education can do for ones writing /vocabulary abilities.
I must say I thought the weather was great considering we were there for 2 1/2 weeks and only had 2 days of lite rain along with cool temps.
I also thought the roads and scenery were great, Cape town being one of the most beautiful places I've ever been ( a bit windy).But then again I'm happy riding in a parking lot in circles for hours at end if that was all I could get to
I think you will agree it was the great new friends that made this trip the best ever and it will be the trip that all others will be judged by.
This trip started with a couple of questions on the wild dogs site and an invitation from Ian to an American to join them . I wonder if he ever thought it would come to pass? I wasn't even sure for a while.
I THANK YOU for joining me on this trip and I THANK all our SA friends for having us!!! And I hope to see them in the states, so we could return the favor ( again we will set you guys up with bikes and accomodations).
I just hope they know you good enough not to take you sarcasm seriously
Again GREAT REPORT !!!
gary138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #137
Douf OP
Limey Bitch

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary138
Hi Phil, Great trip report !!!!!! It's amazing what a good collage education can do for ones writing /vocabulary abilities.
I must say I thought the weather was great considering we were there for 2 1/2 weeks and only had 2 days of lite rain along with cool temps.
I also thought the roads and scenery were great, Cape town being one of the most beautiful places I've ever been ( a bit windy).But then again I'm happy riding in a parking lot in circles for hours at end if that was all I could get to
I think you will agree it was the great new friends that made this trip the best ever and it will be the trip that all others will be judged by.
This trip started with a couple of questions on the wild dogs site and an invitation from Ian to an American to join them . I wonder if he ever thought it would come to pass? I wasn't even sure for a while.
I THANK YOU for joining me on this trip and I THANK all our SA friends for having us!!! And I hope to see them in the states, so we could return the favor ( again we will set you guys up with bikes and accomodations).
I just hope they know you good enough not to take you sarcasm seriously
Again GREAT REPORT !!!
Hey Gary,

Thanks for the feedback and for your take on some of the trip's details. You're right of course: it was definitely the group of personalities that made this trip the success that it became. I'm not sure about them accepting my sarcasm though - checking over the previous correspondence, I have not heard a proverbial dickey bird out of any of them for almost a week - and looking back over my writing, in each case there's certainly enough caustically personal vitriol to have completely pissed off any of those guys if taken seriously. Guess I'll cancel my bulk order for all those new Beemer's then. As far as the college education goes: I'm not sure it really helped that much since, as a mechanical engineering student the requirement to write anything even vaguely creative was minimal to say the least; and in addition, throughout my professional life most written efforts have involved nothing more stimulating than the occasional boring lab report. Maybe that's all too evident in my writing style. Actually the writing wasn't that difficult - I just got hold of a Thesaurus and began replacing (some of) the same three adjectives with which I tend to populate all my sentences with some more varied options. In any case, even assuming a college background, how do you feel about spending five weeks of pretty consistent effort writing up a trip that only took just over two? That's what I thought.

Phil

Douf screwed with this post 04-13-2009 at 02:35 PM
Douf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:28 AM   #138
MikieSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douf

- I never asked, but: how does one say 'F$%K You Mikie' in Afrikaans?
That would be F%k Jou Mikie.
BUT Mikie, pronounced normally in afrikaans, Maatjie, means friend.

food for thought???
MikieSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:29 AM   #139
Captain Crash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Great report!! I am glad you enjoyed your visit, you will have to come back sometime there is still plenty of stuff to see.
Captain Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:59 AM   #140
MikieSA
Adventurer

Douf..... I still cant get used to that name, Fluid Phil!!!!

Thanks for this awesome report and no there is no offencea taken from my side with your sarcasm, I can take it and I am sure the rest are also managing too.

I had many a good laugh thanks again
Old 04-14-2009, 03:54 AM   #141
Splat_SA
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I'm still trying to pick myself up off the floor from laughing....loved every minute of your report

Your efforts have saved us a load of time in compiling our own - guess we'll just have to write up our account of the time we were apart and insert it somewhere appropriate (that last picture of Mikie comes to mind for some reason )

The entire experience was amazing from start to finish and it would've been great to finish it off with you and Gary in JHB, but we just couldn't resist the temptation to end with some lovely twisties instead (as opposed to the twisties in your head ). We'll defintely do this again sometime, hopefully sooner than later - just need to start sorting out those finances .

And with apologies to Mikie - the correct translation for 'F$%K You Mikie' in Afrikaans is 'F$%K You Mikie'. It's universally understood!!!

Splat_SA screwed with this post 04-14-2009 at 05:26 AM
Splat_SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:40 AM   #142
Douf OP
Limey Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikieSA
That would be F%k Jou Mikie.
BUT Mikie, pronounced normally in afrikaans, Maatjie, means friend.

food for thought???
Hey Mikie,

Thanks for clearing that up. I have all my riding buddies (both of them actually) practicising the pronunciation as we speak. They'll be ready for ya when you're finally Stateside. I also have the aforementioned unimpressive circle of friends working on the two thumbs aloft 'Mikie salute'. You're gonna feel like royalty buddy.

Douf

Douf screwed with this post 04-14-2009 at 10:52 AM
Old 04-14-2009, 05:42 AM   #143
Douf OP
Limey Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crash
Great report!! I am glad you enjoyed your visit, you will have to come back sometime there is still plenty of stuff to see.

Sounds like a great idea. So........when's your next trip

Douf
Old 04-14-2009, 05:42 AM   #144
MikieSA
Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Mikie,

Thanks for clearing that up. I have all my riding buddies (both of them actually) practicising the pronunciation as we speak. They'll be ready for ya when you're finally Stateside. I also have the aforementioned unimpressive circle of friends working on the 'Mikie salute'. You're gonna feel like royalty buddy.

Douf
I feel honoured
Old 04-14-2009, 05:57 AM   #145
Douf OP
Limey Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikieSA
Douf..... I still cant get used to that name, Fluid Phil!!!!

Thanks for this awesome report and no there is no offencea taken from my side with your sarcasm, I can take it and I am sure the rest are also managing too.

I had many a good laugh thanks again
Thanks for the generous feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Of course I'm sure you recognize your own excellent memoire as being the template for this one - I just threw my own twisted brand of verbal diarrhea around the pictures we took.
And as for Douf: In by now familiar fashion - apart from the other sub-meanings (that I explained previously) it's also English for (Afrikaans) 'Fluid Phil-m'.

Douf
Old 04-14-2009, 07:11 AM   #146
Douf OP
Limey Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat_SA
I'm still trying to pick myself up off the floor from laughing....loved every minute of your report

Your efforts have saved us a load of time in compiling our own - guess we'll just have to write up our account of the time we were apart and insert it somewhere appropriate (that last picture of Mikie comes to mind for some reason )
Hey Paul,

Thanks for the feedback and I’m really glad you got some mileage out of the report. By the way, I think it’s a great idea to put the other parts of the trip in here somewhere; if nothing else it’ll provide a chance - if so desired – for you guys to level the piss-taking playing field somewhat. I can just picture it now: cut to an image of wild partying going on in Jozini, ‘Thank God we finally got rid of those two losers for a while; and why the hell do they always insist on getting a room together? Always wondered about those textile riding suits’……..etc, etc.
FWIW Gary made the excellent suggestion of doing some kind of monster trip and then writing a book on our travelling experiences. Although I think that’s a great idea, personally speaking if I ever attempted to write a book, I think I’d need to come up with a pen name, something cool, something memorable, something unique. How about………..Liking Biking?
And…….alluding to the experiences of numerous adventurers, I could base the entire subplot on the kind of dangerous intestinal ambush awaiting many a well prepared, yet hungry traveler. I’d call it……….‘Two meals - true terror’

Douf
Old 04-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #147
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Day 8: Barrydale Spa - Port Elizabeth

Narissa's continued inability to order a decent backup lunch for him, finally gets the better of Koshik
Cool shirt. Google didn't help me find one!

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:15 AM   #148
Koshik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by edeslaur
Cool shirt. Google didn't help me find one!
Rip-Off Designs --> http://www.ripoff-designs.co.za/stor...iewCat&catId=2

From the SA side .. this 4-corners trip was actually a memorial run for a good friend, Bucaneer, who started Rip-Off Designs.

There are some other cool t-shirts there... some are South African in context.

Koshik screwed with this post 04-14-2009 at 08:29 AM
Koshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:24 AM   #149
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshik
Rip-Off Designs --> http://www.ripoff-designs.co.za/store/index.php

From the SA side .. this 4-corners trip was actually a memorial run for a good friend, Bucaneer, who started Rip-Off Designs.

There are some other cool t-shirts there... some are South African in context.
Man, you've got T-shirt style, that's for sure! Thanks!

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:26 AM   #150
Koshik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
btw Phil ... GREAT write-up ...
You have a unique way of capturing moments into words ... fcuking hilarious.

For those of you who are interested ... below is the link to the rest of the ride reports ...
http://www.tbforum.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=25592
(this thread died after Phil announced his ride report .. with good reason)

This one is done by MikeSA
http://www.tbforum.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=26482
Koshik is offline   Reply With Quote